Burnaby Mountain 2015

March 28, 2015, 3:26 p.m.

cool! do you need to do anything (buy a membership to the bmba, print a waiver, rsvp, etc.) beforehand, or just show up?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 28, 2015, 9:02 p.m.

cool! do you need to do anything (buy a membership to the bmba, print a waiver, rsvp, etc.) beforehand, or just show up?

Awesome!
All you need to do is show up. The trail days are run under the City's insurance so you'll sign in when you get there and that's it :)

March 28, 2015, 9:26 p.m.

nice. we ride sfu a fair bit, and i'm looking forward to getting him into helping with the upkeep of the trails he enjoys

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 30, 2015, 8:06 a.m.

Awesome!
All you need to do is show up. The trail days are run under the City's insurance so you'll sign in when you get there and that's it :)

I'm in

Your 0.02 opinion is worthless. Since Feb 2013, pennies have to be rounded down. Sorry.

April 10, 2015, 1:50 p.m.

The mini bike park at the top of Burnaby Mountain built by UniverCity will be open again on April 17 (don't know what time). So assuming it's not pouring rain, the pre-DH warm-up will be available once again.

There will likely be some closures in April, as Jay Hoots is coming back to reshape and repack some of the jumps and the pump track (raking, lip re-builds, and plate packing). He will also be adding a 3rd jump line to the right of the "larger" jump line. It'll be innovative, as he's just gonna' design-build something fun dug right into the dirt.

Remember, if anyone starts self-digging or altering the jumps and pump track in any way, it will be shut down due to pretty firm insurance regulations. So just like what you've got!

A note: that pump track gets damn fast if you take the time to learn it. Several transition lines as well.

April 14, 2015, 9:28 a.m.

Alright. The dirt jumps and pump track at the top of the mountain at UniverCity are now open. Showers the next few days so avoid if it's pooling or mushy.

The weekend looks glorious so hopefully families on top of the mountain get at it and the big line is riding well enough for the Burnaby Mountain Shuttle Monkey Coalition.

Jay Hoots will be on-site in the next couple weeks to repack and plate tamp and rake the jumps and pump track. He will also be building a THIRD jump line on the right hand side that will be in-ground (excavated) to get a bit more lip. No design, he'll just build what feels right.

This morning after fence and signs were pulled. Running a bit slow, and in 3 laps, I could clear 2 of the 3 and just slightly cased the last one. But I'm old. The Pump track is a bit of work until it firms up.

April 14, 2015, 9:25 p.m.

What was the wooly stuff used to protect the jumps during the winter? Did it protect from rain? Looked kind of NOT-waterproof?

(We don't want to use much poly locally cuz the homeless be stealing it for roofing materials…)

April 14, 2015, 10:28 p.m.

What was the wooly stuff used to protect the jumps during the winter? Did it protect from rain? Looked kind of NOT-waterproof?

scientists in the sfu paleontology and genetics departments have been co-ordinating to clone woolly mammoths and they used the fur from the ones that didn't survive.

the rest went into burgers in the cafeteria.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 14, 2015, 11:12 p.m.

(We don't want to use much poly locally cuz the homeless be stealing it for roofing materials…)

We were pretty pleased with the results. It's just coco-matting (a coconut husk product). If left, it would completely bio-degrade in about one year. It's not water-proof, but it's basically used as an erosion control matting on steep or newly seeded slopes. Relatively low-cost. Cheaper than poly for sure.

What it does it stops the hammering of the rain on the dirt, washing away the fines and just leaving the pebbles and rock. It also prevents erosion and rain-runnelling down the sides and lips and tranny's.

The photo I posted was with NO work after removal of the coco-matting. No raking, no tamping, no packing. They rolled pretty sweet by end of day today in the sun… except for the damn head-wind! Only one dude with clipless was able to clear the last of the 3-pack due to the headwind.

April 15, 2015, 11:36 a.m.

Like this:
http://nilex.com/sites/default/files/Nilex-Erosion-Control-Blankets-Brochure.pdf

I like it. Nothing to steal, not bad for environment, not costly, protects from heavy rain, prevents bikes won't get stolen. What do you do with it in the spring, put it in the composter? burn it? dump it in the woods? Add to cocoa smoothies?

mmmm….mammoth.

April 19, 2015, 4:36 p.m.

Outstanding! Many thanks to those whose labour groomed the top of UC.

Question, did you achieve the days objective as planned or as per the # of participants?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

April 19, 2015, 11:03 p.m.

Outstanding! Many thanks to those whose labour groomed the top of UC.

Question, did you achieve the days objective as planned or as per the # of participants?

Thanks! yes we did. Had a small crew show up, plus a few bikers that stopped to help for a few hours (one of whom won the SWerx gift certificate - karma works :) )

A short report and some pictures will be posted on our facebook page within the week.

May 19, 2015, 10:03 a.m.

BTW, the new "large" jumpline at the UniverCity Backyard dirt jumps was finished by Jay Hoot's about 1.5 weeks ago. It's bedding in nicely. Too big for me right now, but I've watched a few kill it pretty handily. Even on big "overkill for Burnaby Mtn" bikes. Interestingly, most are clipped in that are clearing it.

Jay had no issues on flats hitting that new line. The new line is to the right of the now "medium" line in the picture a few posts up.

May 20, 2015, 12:46 p.m.

… the UniverCity Backyard dirt jumps….

That place could use a water supply so one can dampen it up before hitting the pumptrack/jumps.

May 27, 2015, 7:56 a.m.

That place could use a water supply so one can dampen it up before hitting the pumptrack/jumps.

Fair enough. I'll see what I can do. We've got water to the site. When the next builder puts up their sales centre, maybe I'll "require" them a hose bib on the back side.

That said, it is well packed and holds up pretty well. We worked with Jay to screen the dirt pretty hard and then tamp it consistently. It's pretty heavily clay and sandstone based, so it's concrete and reasonably marble-free.

I'm not man enough to figure out the new bigger line yet. Maybe it's the 275 wheels? Yeah, that must be it.