Burnaby Mountain 2015

March 6, 2015, 12:58 p.m.

I am still befuddled at why people try to short-cut or braid Gear Jammer. It's such a short decent anyway, why make it shorter? It's a blue trail. If you want harder, there's way better places to ride than braiding this trail.

Another place is right at the top of Lower GJ where it comes off Mel's. People are wanting to "pop" off that little mound that separates the left and right entrances to Lower GJ. Problem is, there's a very new and very important drainage channel and corrugated pipe now installed there. This is because that mound seeps and produces ground water during rain events and was washing out the trail. This drain has SOLVED that problem. But when people are removing the logs and wood that is placed on the mound to stop them from entering this way, they are destroying the drain and will subsequently wash out that corner again. Furthermore, in order to roll in faster, a new "start zone" above Mel's has been created, further damaging the area. I'm sure this doesn't help the mtb community look great in the eyes of CoB.

That said, GJ is running well. Drainage seems to be working and has held up, especially through the last bigger rain event (about 3 weeks ago). Since that time, the upstream flows from the drains and culverts have been flow reduced as well, reducing peak and storm flows toward GJ. We should see less overall water on the trail. I think the final place that will need some attention is right after Hoots' Hump/Jump where there is a perma-seepage of ground flows. I think further enhancing the new alignment left would be great, and then more permanently establishing a drainage channel on the right. The work that has been done seems to be working, but could be enhanced. Perhaps it's a bit of a "test" before committing to further work?

March 6, 2015, 4 p.m.

OK, so the braid blocking I did yesterday has been dismantled.

Maybe this has something to do with hikers because as I was standing there perusing the destruction a woman happened along and told me that the trail crew told her that that braid was there expressly for the use of hikers.

Seems odd they'd do that though 'cause riders will poach it and it won't take long between them and run off for that short cut to become a real mess. wtf?

New mesh on the A frame….. :cool:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 6, 2015, 4:12 p.m.

OK, so the braid blocking I did yesterday has been dismantled.

Maybe this has something to do with hikers because as I was standing there perusing the destruction a woman happened along and told me that the trail crew told her that that braid was there expressly for the use of hikers.

Seems odd they'd do that though 'cause riders will poach it and it won't take long between them and run off for that short cut to become a real mess. wtf?

New mesh on the A frame….. :cool:

Yes, you could be speaking about some old portions of the older Lower Gear Jammer that were deliberately left for hiking. They short-cut about 3 of the corners. Certainly 2 of these are rideable, but are actually flow-killing if you do. So you might have been trying to block hiking portions of the trail.

March 6, 2015, 6:30 p.m.

Take all your braid blockers and nail them together…impossible to move.

March 6, 2015, 7:14 p.m.

It is so much fun to whip around that corner - I don't get why anyone would want to take that little short cut. I have said in the past that not all braids, but perhaps most, are detrimental. This one makes no sense and will eventually lead to unnecessary trail widening and a muddy mess. A hiker's alternative? For reasons already expressed, that doesn't make sense. Nor does it seem to link up with the old portions of the older Lower Gear Jammer "that were deliberately left for hiking."

This afternoon, I rebuilt the block and added to it, including a medium large log. Nailing it together would be good. I also moved that big stump onto it. Heavy. It could be better positioned if two people did the work.

fall any fall line

March 6, 2015, 10:05 p.m.

I also moved that big stump onto it. Heavy. It could be better positioned if two people did the work.

Like I said. It's a mystery eh? I wait with baited breath. Or something like that.:damn:

I also moved that big stump

Holy shit mofo I rocked that sucker back and forth for a coons age and couldn't get it to high center onto the braid path!
I salute you! Muy hombre. Muy hombre!

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 6, 2015, 11:07 p.m.

You would be disappointed if you met me.

But thanks, I was surprised I got it that far. Impressed by the effort, but you wouldn't be impressed by the intellect behind it. My back is OK, but it could easily have cost me a month of riding.

I am known for doing the odd stupid thing. Definitely a two person job.

fall any fall line

March 6, 2015, 11:45 p.m.

Take all your braid blockers and nail them together…impossible to move.

Kewl, you ride with a nail gun? Rock on bro' man!

March 7, 2015, 6:52 a.m.

Kewl, you ride with a nail gun? Rock on bro' man!

You don't need a nail gun. 12" spirals and a hammer work just fine.

Take multiple logs, lay them on the ground in a big criss-cross pile and nail them together.

March 23, 2015, 3:19 p.m.

I rode a nice loop yesterday from North Road trail-Dead Moped-Trans Canada-Mels Trail- Gear Jammer-Upper Cut-Lower Snake-Pipeline and back up the North Road Trail.

I rode form Port Moody and my legs gave out at the top of Mels.

Your 0.02 opinion is worthless. Since Feb 2013, pennies have to be rounded down. Sorry.

March 26, 2015, 4:52 p.m.

Wet, eh?

March 27, 2015, 8:49 a.m.

It was slick in places but not bad. I met up with Super Dad and his 3 boys (8-12 years old) on Dead Moped and they all seemed to be doing fine.

Your 0.02 opinion is worthless. Since Feb 2013, pennies have to be rounded down. Sorry.

March 27, 2015, 9:24 a.m.

Yup… headed up this morning standard route, N. Rd, Mels, upper GJ after leaving the trails idle over the wet days and just riding TCT. Lots of signs of rear brake skidder trench carving from the past three or four days. Amazing that despite requests from most Lower Mainland trail groups to stay off the trails during heavy rains and 24 hours following, that it is either disregarded, people simply don't care, or it's not in their consciousness the damage they may do.

Certainly there are many trails that ride "just fine" in the wet, but they're still taking a trashing.

Another system rolls in tonight for the weekend. Get your ride in before this evening when the rain settles back in as most of the standing water is gone and other than persistant and newly trashed corners, you should be ok. Indeed more trail thrashing will abound this weekend, but hopefully people rethink their personal needs. TCT and Hang your Hat makes a good fitness grind. Throw in a couple laps of Cardiac and call it good if you really need to ride.

March 27, 2015, 11:10 a.m.

Thanks for the info honky, I havn't been up there since Sunday.

March 28, 2015, 12:34 p.m.

From our facebook page:

Hi everyone,
Well it has been awhile since we have posted anything, but we wanted to wait until we had some actual information to report. And we have some good news - our trail day schedule for the first half of the year has been approved by the City of Burnaby! Our trail days will be:
Saturday April 18
Saturday May 23
Saturday June 27
The first two trail days will be held on Uppercut, to repair the damage to the trail from the winter storms and the water runoff from SFU that happened last year. The June trail day will be held on either North Road trail (the lower section) or Dead Moped.
We have received a generous donation from SuspensionWerx of two gift certificates of $150 towards a fork or shock service, and one will be given out at our first trail day. Tell your friends!
The trail days will start at 8am and go until 3 (or earlier). Lunch will be provided, as will tools and gloves although feel free to bring gloves if you have them. Please wear proper footwear and dress for the weather. Any questions please post here or send a message.
Further information about each trail day will be posted here a few days prior to the date.
Thank you all for your support.
-BMBA