Burnaby Mountain 2015

Sept. 8, 2015, 4:03 p.m.

I won't answer, but I will ask: are you that paranoid of Big Brother?

+ Why so insulting? Do you have a personal issue regarding this?

And, all parks are closed at dusk, everyone knows that.

As well, I better get off this now, they are coming for me. I might take my address off the house.

fall any fall line

Sept. 8, 2015, 4:08 p.m.

You- I couldn't see the trees that well cus i was riding in the dark.
me- You're an idiot.

Have a nice day!

Your 0.02 opinion is worthless. Since Feb 2013, pennies have to be rounded down. Sorry.

Sept. 8, 2015, 4:23 p.m.

Again, what is wrong? Do you just like to jump on people and attack them over stupid little things? You should hide in the bush (perhaps in the dark) and jump on the likes of me when we go by. Then, when I'm trying to figure out what hit me, you could kick dirt in my face and yell 'whatever.'

I ride with two 600 lumen lights - I saw every tree out there. What I said was the 'landscape' in general looked so different after the storm. Just an obsevation, you unkind little soul.

I love how people like you end with "Have a have a nicy day." Have the balls to say what you really want to: "Now fuck of!"

fall any fall line

Sept. 8, 2015, 4:38 p.m.

lol, I wouldn't harm a fly . I find it offensive that you know the rules but decide to break them anyways. You are probably not doing any harm to the trails but I would suggest that you ride elsewhere in the dark.

Have a nice day.

Your 0.02 opinion is worthless. Since Feb 2013, pennies have to be rounded down. Sorry.

Sept. 8, 2015, 5:39 p.m.

Did you know the trails are closed at night?

new here, i definitely missed that rule, was looking forward to riding down in the dark at some point this winter. oh well

side point, was impressed on the collective work done to get the trails back up and running. i assume it was the city who got to all the big trees, and bmba/fairies for the rest. i did what i could on sidewinder/mels while riding through a few times, but really didn't make a dent on the mass of what fell. so cheers to all

Sept. 8, 2015, 5:40 p.m.

lol, I wouldn't harm a fly . I find it offensive that you know the rules but decide to break them anyways. You are probably not doing any harm to the trails but I would suggest that you ride elsewhere in the dark.

Have a nice day.

so what happens later in the fall when we lose light at like 5pm? if you've ever driven 1km/hr over the speed limit then technically you're committing a bigger crime than being in a park after dusk. i get your point but i would imagine that the bylaws are in place to keep rowdies and partiers out of the parks late at night. going for a night ride on sfu is a pretty benign activity.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 8, 2015, 6:01 p.m.

Um, don't those peeps at "Meet Up" do night rides up there?

ffs HD or Bim or whoever you are stop being such boy scout!

All those '80's Wed. night rides in the Endowment Lands we never once got hassled by the "man".

You should hide in the bush (perhaps in the dark) and jump on the likes of me when we go by.

You better hope he don't own a ball peen hammer!

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 8, 2015, 7:52 p.m.

Have a nice day.

There is so much truly evil shit in this world. Being so easily and misdirectedly offended, you must drown in your own indignation every day. To post on a forum and allow your emotional "stick up the ass" to make you swing out at people; that's a little offensive, no?

I apologize right now, so don't jump all over me, but I jaywalked on my way to lunch today. Don't let it ruin your evening though, I'm the one going to hell.

So, trails on Bnby Mtn: did anyone show on Saturday? Things aren't perfect but they all seem a lot clearer to me. Back to drainage preparation for winter.

And, for those new to trail riding, there is no "rule" against riding in the dark. However, almost all parks (esp. Municipal) are closed during the dark times or posted hours, according to ByLaw. However, a lot of people ride at night. There are tons of powerful bike lights in the shops. I suggest one on the handlebar (to throw some generalized light on the trail immediately in front) and one on the helmet (to provide a directed beam). I would also recommend that you be respectful and quiet (no brake squeel), and avoid your lights shining into neighbouring houses, etc. Riding at night is a whole new world and helps those who couldn't ride otherwise during winter. Not too many people do it which is probably a good thing. A forest full of bright lights flashing all over would be a bad thing (if for stressing wildlife alone).

fall any fall line

Sept. 8, 2015, 7:55 p.m.

So, trails on Bnby Mtn: did anyone show on Saturday? Things aren't perfect but they all seem a lot clearer to me. Back to drainage preparation for winter.

yes, just me and high endurance. we cleaned up the mess on dead moped, took out stuff on north road and on the function junction trail just before the powerlines.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 8, 2015, 8:03 p.m.

Thanks, good work.

fall any fall line

Sept. 8, 2015, 10:18 p.m.

Re: night riding
Yes, it's a rule. No, nobody follows it. The City doesn't have the manpower to enforce it and frankly the number of riders on the trails after nightfall is likely fairly minimal. We've yet to hear of a situation where someone had to be carted out by NSR after nightfall, so if you're comfortable with doing so then carry on.
To be honest the trails there are likely some of the best to be riding in the dark, and with the lights these days being what they are it's likely brighter than on a cloudy day.

Also, huge thanks to Syncro for the trail clearing, it is greatly appreciated as no one in our group now has the training (or owns) a chainsaw. There's only so much that can be done with a handsaw.

Sept. 8, 2015, 11:22 p.m.

I answered that way in case he was asking if there was some kind of 'rule' amongst mountain bikers - a trail etiquette kind of thing. But strictly speaking, there is no rule; a City ByLaw is more than that.

And - no worries BMBA, it seems to me that by whoever, with whatever tools: what needs doing is getting done. We all owe a thanks to everyone who contributed (and always do) what they could. There is a good community looking after our little mountain.

fall any fall line

Sept. 9, 2015, 9:33 a.m.

Well if BMBA says it ok then I must appoligise. I just read the rules on the map . Sorry, for being rude EcoRiva. (hugs)

Sept. 9, 2015, 10:22 a.m.

The City did great work at clearing the trail in a timely manner given their other priorities for more travelled areas. SFU got that Naheeno tree within 24 hours of requesting the work to be done. Trail fairies helped clear debris. Now, as we approach winter, drains will be re-opened likely by both City and trail fairies.

Some trails still need some work, but it will happen over time.

Interesting back-and-forth going on in this thread. I just try to get home safely after work and might even find it fun. Sometimes daylight is not a workable option. But I'm not overtly being a criminal, nor are all the headlamp wearing dog walkers and trail runners. The bylaw is liability protection for Burnaby and all cities. You choose to take on your own risk on public lands beyond those hours. That's all. Self-administration and personal risk management once you've absolved the City by venturing onto public lands past dusk.

Sept. 9, 2015, 12:54 p.m.

Citizens arrest! Citizens arrest!

Wrong. Always.