Burnaby Mountain 2014

May 15, 2014, 2:27 p.m.

Upper Snake has been closed for several years, but I haven't been over to it for a while. It basically runs straight down a bank over a temporal streamcourse and is prone to alot of erosion and the original line is not sustainable.

Early on, it seemed the City of Burnaby was going to re-route the trail and re-open it, as there is a viable line down that way that is more circuitous and off the bank, but generally, it's just become closed.

That said, I have heard that with the closure of Gear Jammer, more and more folks have been riding it again. Perhaps I'll ride home along Mel's tonight and see if there is obvious signs of action.

May 15, 2014, 3:38 p.m.

Perhaps I'll ride home along Mel's tonight and see if there is obvious signs of action.

yeah, have a look. you can't miss it

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 15, 2014, 9:32 p.m.

upper snake remains closed. however, it appears hikers have reopened it and it may well be that it is being ridden. the city of burnaby is aware of the problem but i'm not sure what they're doing about it.

May 16, 2014, 10:58 p.m.

the city of burnaby is aware of the problem but i'm not sure what they're doing about it.

Razor wire?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 17, 2014, 9:25 a.m.

however, it appears hikers have reopened it and it may well be that it is being ridden.

the line was definitely not cut, nor could i see it being much used, by hikers

Razor wire?

nothing but a little sign saying the trail is closed

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 17, 2014, 5:25 p.m.

Indeed. There it is.

May 17, 2014, 5:33 p.m.

nothing but a little sign saying the trail is closed

I guess I was implying that that's what it would take to dissuade the gravity zombies.

On another note where the deuce did that sidewalk come from? Its got a sign right where the trail spits you out onto the road that says "shared pedestrian/cyclist path 2014" but some of the concrete looks like its from the '80s.

Anyways it's a welcome respite from riding on the road up to the start of Gearjammer with vehicular traffic whizzing by your ear.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 28, 2014, 9:46 p.m.

That sidewalk has been there since the 70's. The new shared pathway will be part of the road reconstruction. Right now the west side road is under reconstruction. Repairs to the east side will commence likely late summer. I don't think this side will be full closure, as it's already asphalt, just cyclist/ped improvements and general patching.

On that note, I always forget how good a spin Hang your Hat is. Last night, we did North Road Trail, Dead Moped, Dave[HTML_REMOVED]Erics/Skeriks/??? down to Cougar Creek, then Hang your Hat to the Mountain Air park. Hit a few jump lines, then up the Mountain Air trail to the Velodrome, across to Drummond's Walk, then up Ridge Road and up Pandora's Trail, then Naheno Park, Nicole's, and the PipeLine back to the car.

Great 90 minute loop if you stop in the Mountain Air park for a bit.

BTW - nice bridge repair on the entrance to Naheeno by the Trail Fairies.

June 1, 2014, 9:35 p.m.

Heard Cardiac Classic is back on this year… August 10 apparently for those who are interested! XC Sufferfest (for those not at the NIMBY Fifty yesterday anyway)!

June 4, 2014, 9:05 p.m.

Trails are ALL TIME right now, bro. Gear jammer is still closed, so the best option seemed to be working on the climbing and Mel's./Nicole's

Little rant here: WTF is with people bombing Cardiac and yelling "Get out of the way!!" 3 times tonight I had to pull off, mid climb, and stop. I did need the rest, but I always give the climber the right of way. Maybe sfu is different /rant

It was great night to get some XC in.

June 4, 2014, 11:05 p.m.

Little rant here: WTF is with people bombing Cardiac and yelling "Get out of the way!!"

Should have stepped off your bike and clubbed them with it as they rolled by.

That's just wrong! Cardiac is not for thrill seekers it' was put there for peeps to commune with their cardio!

always give the climber the right of way. Maybe sfu is different /rant .

College students are dumber?????

On another note Kimber-Morgan is gonna' bore a hole right through the mtn. for their pipeline!

Wonder if they'll run a bike lane along side it so's you can get to the other side fast without having to climb over?

June 6, 2014, 12:13 p.m.

always give the climber the right of way. Maybe sfu is different /rant

I had to dismount on a technical climb as the "meet up" club zipped down. maybe it just is SFU..lots of inexperienced newbies.

on another note, I notice "ben and jerry's" have had some technical features removed of late- two nice logs I have learned to perfect over the years, and lower snake had a narrow bit of wood work removed, also rideable, at speed.
all unauthorized work.

disappointing is all. /rant

:canada:

June 10, 2014, 8:10 a.m.

Given that the City isn't racing out to settle the account and do the GJ repairs, something had to be done with all the marbles and babyheads. So Lower GJ and Uppercut has been raked top to bottom. Some other trails are pretty prime for Burnaby right now. This rain will be good… hopefully it doesn't wash a new round of marbles into the troughs…

June 11, 2014, 11:29 p.m.

Given that the City isn't racing out to settle the account and do the GJ repairs, something had to be done with all the marbles and babyheads. So Lower GJ and Uppercut has been raked top to bottom.

Translation?

June 12, 2014, 8:04 a.m.

Translation?

Ha.

1. City and contractor have not yet resolved the payment and restoration process.
2. City has not put a timeline to the repairs.
3. In the interim, I went with a rake and raked out Lower Gear and Uppercut to remove all of the boulders, babyheads, and marbles that had washed down onto the line and cleaned out some of the "troughs" - runs smooth and fast now.

Got it?