Burnaby Mountain 2014

March 3, 2014, 12:29 p.m.

It is, I could have described it better. Big Yellow Police DO NOT CROSS signage. :D

Yeah, it's closed.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

March 17, 2014, 7:49 p.m.

I ignored the tape blocking the top section of GJ (which is intact) to ride down to Mel's where the tracks I observed indicated that many peeps are ignoring the tape blocking access to the lower section of GJ.
I went left on Mels.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 21, 2014, 5:30 p.m.

I was riding gear jammer today, condition was sh*it

March 21, 2014, 9:21 p.m.

I was riding gear jammer today, condition was sh*it

Ummmm… the plastic road barriers, yellow tape, and closure signs didn't raise any flags as to its condition before you decided to pedal past it all?

March 22, 2014, 12:46 p.m.

his ID does says brakelessshredder

March 26, 2014, 9:37 p.m.

Any update on gearjammer? Is it still closed?

March 30, 2014, 9:54 a.m.

Any update on gearjammer? Is it still closed?

Burnaby is doing cost estimates and have reviewed both repairs and re-design solutions. The water flow issue is resolved upstream. However, it will likely not be until later spring until repairs are undertaken.

While it is unfortunate the trail was damaged, it is an opportunity to fix the pre-existing drainage issues as well.

March 30, 2014, 10:07 a.m.

Burnaby is doing cost estimates and have reviewed both repairs and re-design solutions. The water flow issue is resolved upstream. However, it will likely not be until later spring until repairs are undertaken.

While it is unfortunate the trail was damaged, it is an opportunity to fix the pre-existing drainage issues as well.

Thanks for the info.

March 30, 2014, 3:33 p.m.

Any chance they will make the trail the way it was before they put all those berms and stuff on it?

March 30, 2014, 7:56 p.m.

Any chance they will make the trail the way it was before they put all those berms and stuff on it?

Before the berms and current routing was a skid trail that followed the Hydro cutline. That line still exists for Hydro access, but is not a Burnaby trail.

The new line was established about 6 years ago as a multiuse trail that was machine built. It was Burnaby's first experiment with a machine built trail and it certainly has had some growing pains and misalignment/ drainage issues through its life. But they will rebuild the trail under the same parameters for width and style of construction, but ideally with drainage issues resolved.

The old line was not sustainable and accounted for significant erosion and existed non-formally largely on a Hydro ROW. The value of a trail down this side of the mountain was of significant value to users, so Burnaby largely funded the reconstruction to today's routing. Like it or not, it is now likely the most travelled trail on the mountain given connectivity to the old North Road area, gentle walking grade, and accessibility for learning mountain bikers. The reconstruction will not change any of this to my knowledge.

April 21, 2014, 5:25 p.m.

The Burnaby Mountain Bike Skills Park is now open.
Saw a bear with two cubs hanging out by the wallrides next to the large jumps, be careful.

:japan:

May 13, 2014, 10:59 a.m.

Burnaby trails running well right now. Gear Jammer still closed and no forthcoming date of repairs that I'm aware of. Many folks still running it now that it's dry.

Good night lap with the kids; nice that they happily climb the mountain as well.

May 13, 2014, 12:34 p.m.

Good night lap with the kids; nice that they happily climb the mountain as well.

how far will they climb, and what route do you take?

my son will happily jam up to the dead moped trailhead, but getting him beyond that can be tricky

one day soon i will leave the dog behind and introduce him to the wonders of bus shuttling

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 13, 2014, 3 p.m.

how far will they climb, and what route do you take?

my son will happily jam up to the dead moped trailhead, but getting him beyond that can be tricky

one day soon i will leave the dog behind and introduce him to the wonders of bus shuttling

Full disclosure:

They are now running 30t N/W rings on front with 11-36 9spd on the back, so they have a pretty good gear for Burnaby, especially with 24" wheels.

So we typically ride up the North Road Trails or PowerLines up to Joe's/Trans Canada. They can then ride that without support to the last switchback prior the junction with Cardiac. We take a couple breathers along the way. Then we just hike up cardiac and they ride the final switchback to the ringroad, or we carry along Joe's to campus, which they can ride most of with a couple more breaks.

We hope they self-realise the positive benefits of the ride up may actually be more important than the ride down. The fun quota flips the other way for the DH segement obviously! somewhere in there, there must be some kind of life lesson as well. Or they'll just consider us mean SOB's…

Either way, we'll toss the coin.

Edit to add: I think they see me do it as a daily commute, and have seen this since they were babies, so their frame of reference may be skewed??? And we are not anti-shuttle zealots either. If it's late and we want to bang a quick lap or we can get an extra lap, we'll shuttle one with either me or the Mrs going back up to fetch the car.

May 14, 2014, 11:39 p.m.

so, what's up with upper snake?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave