Burnaby Mountain 2013

May 8, 2013, 3:44 p.m.

Awesome, PM me when you are up there doing that, I'll join in.

Generally weekdays before the after work/school crowd start their rides. I can't do trail days as I work wknds so I guess my trail karma will come from messing with braider's minds. :evil:

Speaking of which directly above where I blocked the braid on Lower Snake someone's kicked a log aside to institute a 2nd braid on that switchback.

I rolled the log back and x'd a couple limbs in front but it was a feeble effort 'cause I couldn't stick around.

There's some rather large angular rocks up at the entrance to LS that would be swell braid blockers……..

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 8, 2013, 6:51 p.m.

Generally weekdays before the after work/school crowd start their rides. I can't do trail days as I work wknds so I guess my trail karma will come from messing with braider's minds. :evil:

Speaking of which directly above where I blocked the braid on Lower Snake someone's kicked a log aside to institute a 2nd braid on that switchback.

I rolled the log back and x'd a couple limbs in front but it was a feeble effort 'cause I couldn't stick around.

There's some rather large angular rocks up at the entrance to LS that would be swell braid blockers……..

I wonder when people are clearing the braids…. I've been up there at all hours day and night (albeit not too often), and I've never encountered anything suspicious. Except for once last week. I was about a 1/3 up middle GJ by the power lines. I encountered a guy walking up, in some shimano AM shoes, sans bike. Pre-course walk? Really? LOL! Or perhaps it was something a bit more sinister…..

May 9, 2013, 2:26 p.m.

If its not a huge pile, people might be clearing it by riding through it and locking up the rear

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 9, 2013, 11:30 p.m.

Someone kicked aside the rotted log I put on the Lower Snake switchback upper braid so I doubled it with fixings.

Some guy rode by and gave me the stink eye as I was working.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 14, 2013, 9:04 p.m.

I see the "Upper Cut" trail marker has disappeared from the entrance to the trail. Removed temporary like as it seems they'd done some cursory work to the upper part of the trail?

Also saw a Burnaby Parks truck sit idling across from the entrance to the completed section of new climbing trail and heard some activity in the forest behind it. Hopefully they've started working on punching it through to the bottom. :rocker:

May 14, 2013, 9:17 p.m.

I see the "Upper Cut" trail marker has disappeared from the entrance to the trail. Removed temporary like as it seems they'd done some cursory work to the upper part of the trail?

Also saw a Burnaby Parks truck sit idling across from the entrance to the completed section of new climbing trail and heard some activity in the forest behind it. Hopefully they've started working on punching it through to the bottom. :rocker:

The braid on Upper Cut you spent so much time neatly closing off, has been (very neatly) opened up again. Rouge hiker perhaps? Strange

May 14, 2013, 9:49 p.m.

Hikers don't give a shit. It's some clown teen/20something who resents having his "flow" slow.

I'll just have to clog it up again. Could use some help folks………….

May 14, 2013, 9:53 p.m.

might be best to just re-route that section, i was never really a fan of it from the get go.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 14, 2013, 10:33 p.m.

might be best to just re-route that section, i was never really a fan of it from the get go.

I suppose that is something to discuss. However, the braid is a sharp right off the main line and another sharp right directly into a steep roots climb. I'm not entirely sure I get the logic of the braid. The original line is good dirt, a little left to right between trees that lines you up perfectly for the climb. The braid is just simply a muddy shortcut. That isn't at all satisfying. Why shorten an already short trail?

May 14, 2013, 10:38 p.m.

I suppose that is something to discuss. However, the braid is a sharp right off the main line and another sharp right directly into a steep roots climb. I'm not entirely sure I get the logic of the braid. The original line is good dirt, a little left to right between trees that lines you up perfectly for the climb. The braid is just simply a muddy shortcut. That isn't at all satisfying. Why shorten an already short trail?

i think it's because that's where the rider's eye naturally takes you.

last time i ride it i was keeoing an eye out for the braid b/c i wanted to see what the fuss was about. next thing i know i'm on the freaking braid :lol:

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 14, 2013, 11:34 p.m.

next thing i know i'm on the freaking braid :lol:

I give up. Even sometime onetime trailbuilders are agin' us. =/

May 15, 2013, 12:10 a.m.

I give up. Even sometime onetime trailbuilders are agin' us. =/

it's a perfect example of how sometimes the chosen trail alignment isn't necessarily the best route. sure sometimes braids happen because people are looking for shortcuts, but sometimes they happen because of the visuals of the area. there's a spot on mel's near tct that's had a braid develop over the last season and there's been a couple of times where i've been zipping along and accidently caught myself on the braid.

if it's happening then there's a reason for it and it may not be for the reasosn's you think. go to those spots, step off the bike and take a look around and see where your eye naturally goes - it might just follow the braid.

Ellen Langer

May 15, 2013, 12:46 a.m.

I ride UpperCut a lot and when I approach that spot there is absolutely nothing that draws me to the braid any stronger than to the "official" line.

It's simply a matter of making a choice. Do what was intended, or fudge it.

May 15, 2013, 12:57 a.m.

I ride UpperCut a lot and when I approach that spot there is absolutely nothing that draws me to the braid any stronger than to the "official" line.

when this happened i hadn't been on the trial in about 3 or 4 months and the braid looked like or was at that point the dominant line. by the time i realized what had happened it was too late.

making a choice to ride the braid - not really.

again it's an example of how these things can happen - once the visual line of the braid gets established if it appears to be the dominant line people will ride it. if you have the luxury of riding the trail on a regular basis then you'll be in the fortunate position of being more aware of where the correct line is.

Ellen Langer

May 15, 2013, 2 p.m.

Last time I rode it I accidentally ended up on the braid. I had read this thread and it was in the back of my mind while coming down the trail. I wasn't looking to ride the braid, it's just where my eye took me and my bike.

Just because you see the proper original line when YOU ride doesn't mean that it's how every sees the trail. I'm not saying the braid is good, better, worse or appropriate, it's just where I ended up. I stopped as soon as I realized I wasn't where I belonged and looked around and thought "this line sucks" as it doesn't line up to the climb at all.