Burnaby Mountain 2013

April 29, 2013, 8:23 p.m.

There is now a debris pile established at the entrance to the braid on Uppercut. :D

My feeling is that it's right on the cusp of being too much hassle for braider's to stop and dismantle.

If you're up there this week maybe stop and take 5 minutes to throw some rocks on the wood pile or debris on the braid behind it.

It's unfortunate that's it come to that, but so be it until that section can be tided up. It's almost comical, but the new braid it 8 feet to the left, between the old braid and the original line. Folks, there is now flow to this new line LoL…you will end up in the rhubarb patch.

May 3, 2013, 9 a.m.

GJ just had a rebuffing by the City. Now the Latte Brace, TLD bus monkeys can really pin 'er into the dog walkers. Sub 2min is totally gonna' be the next pinkbike game.

That said, it's perfected the route as a climb, and I ain't even wearin' lycra.

May 3, 2013, 12:54 p.m.

Latte Brace,

Huh?

TLD .

Trans-Link…Delivered?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 5, 2013, 1:07 a.m.

This work will be removed and decommissioned within the next few weeks, weather pending. The existing Naheno Park trail will be repaired and access to and the surface of this new crush service route will be removed and replanted.

. . . decommissioned by throwing some leaves, sticks and wood on top, well done! . . . good opportunity to fix the drainage on the real trail though . . . there are other drainage blockages that will need to be dealt with before the rainy seasons return . . .

fall any fall line

May 5, 2013, 10:27 a.m.

GJ just had a rebuffing by the City. Now the Latte Brace, TLD bus monkeys can really pin 'er into the dog walkers. Sub 2min is totally gonna' be the next pinkbike game.

It's not being reworked by the city. They built the freeway however, and unfortunately 'buffing' it is making it faster. Speed check spots are being considered. Berms were part of the original design by the city, and they will be continually fixed/maintained, as to are drainage issues. It's either that or a trail with a shin high trench in some areas and completely blown out corners that riders were -braiding- all winter because they didn't want to bother with said blown out corners. A few encounters with dog walkers have been quite positive-very appreciative. To them, I think, it's an athletic issue…

I also might add: With all the hours I've been up there 'walking the dog/watching riders' I've seen more than a few leattle braces really hauling….all but 2 slowed right down. 98% of the rest are very much over dressed for the occasion. With exception to the lower GJ, it's a very slow trail on a DH bike.

May 5, 2013, 3:28 p.m.

Me and my 12 year old daughter rode GJ Thursday night. My daughter almost ran over a Pomeranian in a pink coat and the 3 Korean hikers that where walking the poor excuse for a dog. Not sure why GJ would be considered a good hiking trail or multi use. I can only imagine how ugly it would of been if someone was really moving. Dog wasn't on a leash and to small, dumb to get off the trail fast and the owners where scurrying around trying to catch the fluff ball. My kid isn't skilled enough to be going really fast, and that at least kept the shit show to being just really funny to me.

Still makes me shake my head that people shuttle SFU, so many better choices to do shuttle laps at.

Master of Puppets

May 5, 2013, 5:11 p.m.

. . . decommissioned by throwing some leaves, sticks and wood on top, well done! . . . good opportunity to fix the drainage on the real trail though . . . there are other drainage blockages that will need to be dealt with before the rainy seasons return . . .

Exactly… they haven't exactly been responsive to fixing their mess. They've now hired a consultant to design how they should address accessing the sewer main, which is why they built that odd gravel trail, rather than just more of what they were doing. So I don't think they intend to fix anything until their consultant tells them what to do. I'll help push to get this resolved sooner than later…..

May 5, 2013, 5:14 p.m.

Me and my 12 year old daughter rode GJ Thursday night. My daughter almost ran over a Pomeranian in a pink coat and the 3 Korean hikers that where walking the poor excuse for a dog. Not sure why GJ would be considered a good hiking trail or multi use. I can only imagine how ugly it would of been if someone was really moving. Dog wasn't on a leash and to small, dumb to get off the trail fast and the owners where scurrying around trying to catch the fluff ball. My kid isn't skilled enough to be going really fast, and that at least kept the shit show to being just really funny to me.

Still makes me shake my head that people shuttle SFU, so many better choices to do shuttle laps at.

Regardless, it's a multi-use designation trail. And more and more it's being ridden both ways with more folks getting set up with all mountain bikes. So hikers are a part of the mix, and they have priority on the trails. I meet many, so you always gotta' stop, smile, and let them pass. And yes, most the dh crowd are pretty responsible and respectful, but they're adding massive mileage to the trail network on trails that ride faster on more nimble bikes….

May 5, 2013, 9:36 p.m.

It's actually a pretty nice climb, believe it or not:-) I've encountered many shuttles bums. We can go on and on about shuttling, but if that's their only ride, we won't see them climbing up TCT. Most are very good with hitting the brakes for uphill traffic/buffing duffers. Except for 2 guys. On on a demo, can't recall the other one. Fully decked out, leatte and all (not hating on leatte, just an observation), and on consecutive laps not even a hint of brakes. I wonder if they realize the massive trauma to their leg (or worse) of they run into a rather sharp mattock?

May 6, 2013, 12:21 a.m.

Regardless, it's a multi-use designation trail. And more and more it's being ridden both ways with more folks getting set up with all mountain bikes. So hikers are a part of the mix, and they have priority on the trails. I meet many, so you always gotta' stop, smile, and let them pass. And yes, most the dh crowd are pretty responsible and respectful, but they're adding massive mileage to the trail network on trails that ride faster on more nimble bikes….

Don't get me wrong, I am always respectful, she just caught them in a awkward area and I really hate those stupid dogs. That aside and I'm not complaining, the design of the trails screams user conflict. Big wide sweeping berms and all. I do need to try as a climbing trail one day, but I'll time that for a week day when there isn't much usage going on.

Master of Puppets

May 6, 2013, 10:46 a.m.

Sidewinder is a nice climb, and will be nicer when the connector trail is added.

Upper Cut is mostly climbable (even for the average cyclist like myself, and I'm sure lots of younger stronger riders could do it although you don't see many climbing it, although recently…), but I have to admit there are times I would not climb it because of the heavy traffic coming down, especially on weekends.

And of course all of North Road has two way traffic on bikes and lots of hikers… a reason I always bell up for rides on Bby Mtn. And I have to say some of the septuagenerian and octogenarian walking groups are really nice to stop and talk to as they pole up and down the trails.

May 7, 2013, 6:41 p.m.

but the new braid it 8 feet to the left, between the old braid and the original line. .

There's now a structure built up between the tree on the far left and the big stump in the middle. :grinno:

Nice to see folks took time to add to the original pile, but it was looking a little flat, like something one might try and ride over so I fluffed it up a bit.

Also, on Lower Snake where the trail steps down around the left side of a tree peeps have been straight lining to the right.
There's now a strategically placed large rock with an orange dot on it and a couple limbs wedged in the crotch of the tree to dissuade this behaviour.

Was a good ride today as well.

:rocker:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 7, 2013, 6:54 p.m.

Awesome, PM me when you are up there doing that, I'll join in. I think when the original line is defined/fixed a bit better people will ride it. Seems to be working so far higher up on GJ (still lots to do though) Until then…ads to the pile!

There's now a structure built up between the tree on the far left and the big stump in the middle. :grinno:

Nice to see folks took time to add to the original pile, but it was looking a little flat, like something one might try and ride over so I fluffed it up a bit.

Also, on Lower Snake where the trail steps down around the left side of a tree peeps have been straight lining to the right.
There's now a strategically placed large rock with an orange dot on it and a couple limbs wedged in the crotch of the tree to dissuade this behaviour.

Was a good ride today as well.

:rocker:

May 8, 2013, 1:28 p.m.

Anyone know when the bike park is reopening? Saw they re tooled all the jumps. The upper set was pretty fun over the winter. Stays dry

May 8, 2013, 1:32 p.m.

Anyone know when the bike park is reopening? Saw they re tooled all the jumps. The upper set was pretty fun over the winter. Stays dry

Today!

http://www.burnaby.ca/Things-To-Do/Outdoor-Facilities/Mountain-Air-Bike-Skills-Park.html