Burnaby Mountain 2013

June 17, 2013, 7:48 a.m.

Saw a bear crossing North Road from people's yards to Burnaby Mountain side, just south of Chapman Ave. Looked like some people were trying to get it out of their yards (one woman banging a stick on the road to chase it away). This was Saturday night, around 6 pm.

One of my friends saw a bear at the bottom of North Road Trail and Jim's Jungle on Sunday evening.

:belgium: :canada:

July 2, 2013, 9:58 a.m.

Anyone else run into kids working/Building on gear jammer?

I've come across some kid "working" on lower part of gear jammer. couple days ago. He had the entrance blocked off(where it splits to upper cut). He was making berm with a tiny shovel and a hammer.. I've come across him and couple of his buddies before down gear jammer couple of times. First time I ran into these kids last month just before trail splits into lower gearjammer and uppercut. They yelled, "STOP! Trail work being done"

As far as I know, he doesn't have permit to build, he's moved from the island. He was riding Tld edition demo 8 and one of his buddy(girl) was riding aurum with dorado

July 2, 2013, 10:57 a.m.

Anyone else run into kids working/Building on gear jammer?

I've come across some kid "working" on lower part of gear jammer. couple days ago. He had the entrance blocked off(where it splits to upper cut). He was making berm with a tiny shovel and a hammer.. I've come across him and couple of his buddies before down gear jammer couple of times. First time I ran into these kids last month just before trail splits into lower gearjammer and uppercut. They yelled, "STOP! Trail work being done"

As far as I know, he doesn't have permit to build, he's moved from the island. He was riding Tld edition demo 8 and one of his buddy(girl) was riding aurum with dorado

came down there last night and seen the signs up, something along the lines of we're putting in all this hard work on our own time, please don't remove it, we're helping improve the trails and finished off with CHILLAXXX!!!!

July 2, 2013, 12:33 p.m.

I too, ran into this guy on Sunday (my first real time riding Burnaby MTN) at the junction of lower gear jammer/upper cut. He yelled up to me that he was putting in a "new huge berm", and asked me if I wanted to hike down to him to check it out. I declined as im not familiar with gear jammer at all so wouldn't appreciate the change he was making anyways. Obviously this is the same guy….just adding what I saw as well.

July 2, 2013, 2:43 p.m.

downhill bikes on SFU?

:canada:

July 2, 2013, 4:04 p.m.

Those signs were great, I took them as examples of how to draw attention to ones self. Trail -maintenance- is appreciated, even on BBY, but actually closing off the trail? Lol!

July 2, 2013, 4:11 p.m.

Possibly the same demo 8 and auruum with durado that almost hit me higher up Gearjammer this spring,while I was doing some maintenance. Fantastic, they will be easy to convince to abstain from their little project….

July 2, 2013, 5:58 p.m.

so before anyone goes and shits on this kids parade, take a step back for a second. you've got someone that's stoked on doing trailwork so try and ecourage it in the right direction. go have a friendlt chat and start off with some pos vibes about doing trailwork - then let him know about bmba and getting involved with sanctioned trailwork on the hill. done right this guy could be a good asset for sfu vs turning him into being pissed off at "the man"

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 2, 2013, 8:16 p.m.

In the guy's defence, the work he did is rather benign, and in fact has cleaned up the upper 'channel' quite nicely. The berm mention is shallow, perfectly formed. However the BBY gold isn't north shore gold, unfortunately:). The signage was over the top though….if one is a trail fairy, don't announce it on a big flashy sign;)

Sept. 18, 2013, 12:52 a.m.

Is there a trail day planned for Lower Snake? I see buncha' large rocks have been moved down from the end of Function Junction onto the top portion of LS. Which needs some emphatic braid blocking to happen.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 18, 2013, 9:46 a.m.

pM'd you

Sept. 18, 2013, 7:43 p.m.

Added a line of square granite rocks to further define/block the right side of the trail as you approach the step down to the left of the tree.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 26, 2013, 1:58 p.m.

emphatic .

Far out!

Oct. 10, 2013, 3:15 p.m.

If there are any trail days upcoming I'd love to lend a hand. The BMBA website hasn't been updated in a couple of years now, so I don't know how these things are being organized now.

Oct. 28, 2013, 9:11 p.m.

Yes, you are reading this correctly, trail day on Burnaby this Saturday Nov 2nd. :shhh:

From the facebook page:

Ok everyone listen up, we have a trail day planned for Saturday November 2, 2013. We will be working on Lower North Road Trail (south from the pump house/parking area). Start time is 8:30, lunch (pizza) and water will be provided. We will have tools and gloves. We will be removing old rotten wood work, fixing drainage in winter boggy sections, and protecting rooty areas that have become majorly eroded.
Tell your friends!

Burnaby Mountain Biking Association

https://www.facebook.com/lists/10151999166875477#!/pages/Burnaby-Mountain-Biking-Association/166074226749735?hc_location=stream

:canada: