Burnaby Mountain 2013

Jan. 3, 2013, 11:10 a.m.

Lets get some updates on Burnaby Mtn. trail conditions! Love to ride out there on after work adventures.

"It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg LeMond

http://www.myspace.com/readyrabbit :rocker:

Jan. 3, 2013, 12:47 p.m.

I was up there on Tuesday. Some snow on cardiac and quite a bit at the top of Mel's, but the trail down was clear. Roots and wood were a little slick especially that downramp on Nicole's, but overall the trails are in good shape!

Jan. 4, 2013, 6:21 p.m.

I did a ride on Wednesday. Best ride of the year!
I've noticed Burnaby Mtn is a self loaming trail. All the leaves have now decomposed and the trails are back to being tacky.
Still numerous trees down on Mels, but Nicoles is all good.

Jan. 5, 2013, 6:42 p.m.

Trails were wet as expected. No snow on the way up and no blocks on Nicole's

Jan. 7, 2013, 9:58 a.m.

Like riding in a Slurpee this morning. Schmooing lightly about 3/4 of the way up. About 2 cm of unflavoured slurpee on the ground.

Jan. 15, 2013, 7:32 p.m.

Are they still working on the climbing trail?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 16, 2013, 9:07 a.m.

A shame that a huge warm-up is expected this week, as the trails are gold right now. Burnaby, with 1cm of compacted snow is riding like freshly duffed trails. Icing on the cake per se. Much fun and grippy tackiness and the cold has kept the mud at bay. With this warm-up, we'll loose this lovely topping and be back to the grime. Sigh.

If it's gonna' do that, it may as well start raining again and bring back the pow to the mountains. :rocker:

I haven't checked on the climbing trail as of late, perhaps I'll go home that way tonight or tomorrow.

Jan. 16, 2013, 5:16 p.m.

Yes the trails are amazing when frozen. Zero rolling resistance. Most of the downed trees have been cleared. There was just one left on Mels on Sunday morning, I think between Gear Jammer and Nicoles.
:dizzy::dizzy:

Jan. 22, 2013, 9:06 a.m.

Last day of fast dirt, so go get some.

Might as well even go for some winter freelap records on a closed trail or two. :nono:

Feb. 8, 2013, 10:10 p.m.

Came down the new trail, Sidewinder I think, late this afternoon. Nicely built and when the vegetation returns it will have a "single track" feel to it. Decent for what it is. Nothing exciting going down, but will be a refreshing way to get up top. Too bad it doesn't go down as far as the bottom of Nicole's like the initial drawing showed. Maybe in the near future. Only criticism is the number of little cross drainage ditches along the entire length . . . so many.

General trail conditions: couldn't get much better.

fall any fall line

Feb. 8, 2013, 11:56 p.m.

Sweet! Will have to make it out there soon.

flickr

Feb. 10, 2013, 11:49 p.m.

Came down the new trail, Sidewinder I think, late this afternoon. Nicely built and when the vegetation returns it will have a "single track" feel to it. Decent for what it is. Nothing exciting going down, but will be a refreshing way to get up top. Too bad it doesn't go down as far as the bottom of Nicole's like the initial drawing showed. Maybe in the near future. Only criticism is the number of little cross drainage ditches along the entire length . . . so many.

General trail conditions: couldn't get much better.

So exactly how far down do it come?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 11, 2013, 12:16 a.m.

So exactly how far down do it come?

The access road to the water tower. I believe there are plans to carry it on to the bottom. It's a great alternative to get to the top, even at this point. I'm a bit surprised people are riding it down? It's a bit of a 'bridge to nowhere'. I think it's a great climb, and adds a nice alternative to riders' XC loopage. Whatever they've done to deal with the drainage, it works…it's bone dry in the heaviest of rain. The lower section and upper section are a nice width. It is a bit wide in some of the center sections, but in time it should be nice.

Feb. 11, 2013, 12:18 a.m.

where exactly does it start

Feb. 11, 2013, 8:50 a.m.

where exactly does it start

at mels where it crosses the watermain trail