Burnaby Mountain 2012

Nov. 30, 2012, 2:22 p.m.

Yes, it's a real PITA coming home from work each night to have to stop, dismount, clamber around in the dark, and carry on.

The lower tree at Function Junction was removed and I have asked again about this one.

Nov. 30, 2012, 9:25 p.m.

The tree across Gear Jammer up top was gone when I came down tonight.

fall any fall line

Nov. 30, 2012, 9:41 p.m.

This is interesting because the rework on Lower Snake you're referring to was ACTUALLY the original line when the trail was first cut. We figured we would re-establish it when we had some extra manpower on a trail day. The bermed ladder came a little later. Here's the thing, bikes, popular riding styles and what stokes riders is a constantly evolving thing and what happened here was a great lesson that what worked on a trail and what was appealing to riders 10 or 15 years ago doesn't always work now. I remember riding that section a few times after we reworked it and realizing it didn't feel nearly as good as it originally did back when I was on a 24 pound '97 Hammer with a two inch fork. Flying through over the roots on what you are calling the "main line" felt way better, with way more flow on the 30 pound 5 and 5 full suspension bike I was piloting. So in that case the "main line" braid was definitely a better route. So the rework was pretty much mothballed. Sometimes what looks good on the drawing board, even it it was the original line, is outdated. This was the case here, call it evolution.

interesting.

i have nothing valuable to add to the discussion at this time.

carry on.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 7, 2012, 11:31 a.m.

Snowing on the mountain right now. Fun ride down tonight….

On that note, the new trail from the pump station to the watermain trail is expected to open early in the new year. With the section below the pump station to Nicole's exit hopefully starting next spring.

Should be a nice climb back up when it's all done. Definitely a multi-use trail.

Dec. 7, 2012, 11:59 a.m.

Snowing?
What time last night- it was as foggy as soup when i was up. I was off by 8:30.
It would have been cold enough- very chilly, specially in the fog

:canada:

Dec. 7, 2012, 2:48 p.m.

Snowing today (not last night) at noon. Stopped and sunny now. Amazing views of the North Shore mtns right now. Got some freshies over there.

New trail images (not my images); not gravel as feared by many. Trail bed was mined for gold. Should grow in to be a nice ribbon of trail.

Dec. 14, 2012, 12:27 a.m.

snowing at sfu right now

http://www.sfu.ca/security/sfuroadconditions/

Dec. 14, 2012, 9:48 a.m.

Morning commute:

Dec. 14, 2012, 9:55 a.m.

^ that's a win

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 23, 2012, 4:41 p.m.

There are a large number of trees down on Mel's. The windstorm must have been brutal. The west side of the mountain is reasonable, but the east side is a mess. Nicoles managed to be OK except for one or two minor issues.
Was nice to get out for a ride though. It is warming up and in just 5 or 6 more months we should see most of the snow gone.
:dizzy::dizzy:

Dec. 23, 2012, 10:37 p.m.

There are a large number of trees down on Mel's. The windstorm must have been brutal. The west side of the mountain is reasonable, but the east side is a mess. Nicoles managed to be OK except for one or two minor issues.
Was nice to get out for a ride though. It is warming up and in just 5 or 6 more months we should see most of the snow gone.
:dizzy::dizzy:

It wasn't the wind… it was the snowload. Heavy wet snow just overpowering the trees.