Burke Mtn. (2012)

Oct. 26, 2012, 1:58 p.m.

hopefully they don't become weary of regular trail users

Oct. 26, 2012, 3:29 p.m.

Looks like a big excavator got torched.

Must be a random act. Never thought of the road up there as a place to go drink beers, and bring a can of gas though?

Pretty shitty……….there's some wackos up that hill sometimes…….there was a bunch of vandalism done to the construction signs a while back……didn't their sign in board go missing too? Seen some weird shit up there at night at times,in the parking area and up at the clearings under the powelines/towers by Elevator trailhead……… especially late at night…..hopefuly they can figure out/track down whoever is responsible….damn tree huggers.

"God gave me eyes so I don't ride my bike thru dog poop right dad?" <- my 11 year-old ->

..`Good times come and good times go,
I only wish the good times would last a little longer.."-Mike Ness

Oct. 27, 2012, 6:13 p.m.

Don't know the names of the trails, but the ones that dump you out at the pavement switchback are all pretty mint. Not too much water or puddles. Good fall riding there.

Oct. 27, 2012, 6:24 p.m.

Don't know the names of the trails, but the ones that dump you out at the pavement switchback are all pretty mint. Not too much water or puddles. Good fall riding there.

They get lots of maintenance due to the volume of people riding them in all conditions.

Oct. 27, 2012, 7:26 p.m.

Was that a dig? ;)

Oct. 27, 2012, 7:32 p.m.

No. But why? do you feel a dig is in order? lol

Just a comment that because the trails are low on the mountain and easily accessible, they are heavily ridden in all types of weather. This means that they require a lot of maintenance to remain enjoyable. Thank goodness there are people who dedicate so much time to the trails.

Oct. 28, 2012, 6:51 p.m.

There are lots of big trees down at the end of triple crown at the powerline. I walked along one that was atleast 8 ft off the ground. Ok 4 feet!! Be very careful if you go up at night.

Oct. 29, 2012, 3:05 p.m.

I had an awesome nightride up there last night 10pm'ish. Went up the East side, rode Elevator,into Deliverance,into Lower Elevator, then West and Out To The River. All was clear.even though the east side climb has been "dumbed down" LOL it's still a bit of a grind. trails were awesome, but a bit slick.The heavy rains sure have washed the trails and created some chundery goodness….full moon peeking out from the clouds here and there made the climb a tad eery. but it was great to get out!

"God gave me eyes so I don't ride my bike thru dog poop right dad?" <- my 11 year-old ->

Oct. 30, 2012, 4:28 p.m.

I had an awesome nightride up there last night 10pm'ish. Went up the East side, rode Elevator,into Deliverance,into Lower Elevator, then west and out to the river. All was clear.even though the east side climb has been "dumbed down" LOL it's still a bit of a grind. trails were awesome, but a bit slick.The heavy rains sure have washed the trails and created some chundery goodness….full moon peeking out from the clouds here and there made the climb a tad eery. but it was great to get out!

I've never heard of "west out to the river" haha

I was up there around 8 for my first night ride of the fall/winter. The road was so soft it sapped the life out of me. Only made it up to lower ele.

Chainsmoker 8)

Oct. 31, 2012, 11:51 a.m.

Regarding the night rides - What type of lighting are you guys using? looking to get set up for this soon…

thanks

Oct. 31, 2012, 12:38 p.m.

Regarding the night rides - What type of lighting are you guys using? looking to get set up for this soon…

thanks

Lots of good info in this thread

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=150822

Oct. 31, 2012, 4:34 p.m.

I'm running a set-up (3rd year now) I built from (Larson Electronics)Magnalight…… a 900 lumen LED flood on the bars and a 900 lumen LED spot on my head…they're actually meant for a boat and are completely submersible and a super burly waterproof wiring harness and connectors. The housing is 2" square+/- and has the same slide mount (helmet and bar)as the old NightHawk Systems from a few years back.They self regulate to whatever power source you have …anything from 9 volts up to 48 volts. I run them them off 14.4 volt Lithium ion batterys that give me around 7-8 hours of light before needing a recharge at 1 bar left out of 5. I use the helmet one for camping, hiking, caving etc…

……..oooops…..since this is the Burke Thread………it was super wet on Burke this morning. Spent a few hours clearing drains and buffing up a few spots on that trail……the water has turned a few lines into creek beds.
cheers !
tim

Nov. 1, 2012, 1:26 a.m.

There are lots of big trees down at the end of triple crown at the powerline. I walked along one that was atleast 8 ft off the ground. Ok 4 feet!! Be very careful if you go up at night.

Those trees are still there!!! Its been about 2 months they have just left them in the way for people to trip over not to mention it`s a fire access road no?
What about the search and rescue a crews, conservation officers? NO RESPECT FOR THEM ETHER I GUESS

I hope someone sues when they break there ankle or neck trying to stumble over all the huge branches that are twisted into the other trees, not like its just a few trees there is a bunch of huge trees covering the road completely…:evil:

Live to ride another day, Keep it safe :]

Nov. 26, 2012, 9:06 a.m.

Upper Elevator is a mess. Water erosion has created a deep narrow trench that your tire can barely fit. Lower Elevator and Vics are holding up much better.

:canada:

Nov. 26, 2012, 9:38 a.m.

Ya when we built elevator, trail sustainability wasn't even an idea. Only low ridership has really allowed the trail to last the almost 20 years since it was built. Its been worked on here and there, but not much one can do with the steep fall lines chutes.