Burke Mtn. (2012)

Oct. 20, 2012, 5:45 p.m.

Has anyone ridden up to the old ski hill before? How long does it take roughly?

Did it YEARS ago, the first time we rode burke and had no idea where the trails were if there were any… Its a good ride, less then two hours for sure.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Oct. 20, 2012, 5:59 p.m.

Triple crown corner is about half way, time wise. Cloud lifted for a bit today and there's fresh snow up high. That might slow you down a bit!

Oct. 21, 2012, 9:45 p.m.

Rode Franks today - And if I didn't know the trail with my eye's closed, you wouldn't have known half of it was there…fully covered with leaves and pine needles…it was pretty slick, but over all still in great shape considering the crazy amount of rain we've had.
Also felt very strange, almost "sanitized" with how the road up now is…

Regarding the old ski hill? What is actually there? Anything worth seeing? I'd make a trek to it next summer for training…

Oct. 21, 2012, 9:58 p.m.

Has the road been filled in? No longer the washed out riverbed climb?

Oct. 21, 2012, 10:47 p.m.

Regarding the old ski hill? What is actually there? Anything worth seeing? I'd make a trek to it next summer for training…

It was planned but nothing is there, there is a nice lake up there though.

some info

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8912

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Oct. 22, 2012, 8:39 a.m.

Has the road been filled in? No longer the washed out riverbed climb?

Yes, they have covered it in gravel which is fairly soft and mushy. I prefered the washed out riverbed climb, it was easier. In time it will settle though.

Oct. 22, 2012, 9:46 a.m.

Yes, they have covered it in gravel which is fairly soft and mushy. I prefered the washed out riverbed climb, it was easier. In time it will settle though.

But only up to the hydro ROW. I'd say it is easier now (way less technical) but sticky and slow. New bridge across the creek on the lower road too, at the ROW (where you used to have to cross and then lug your bike up a 10-foot near-vertical wall). I bet they pull that bridge out when the work is done, hopefully there'll be some way to get across when they're done.

Oct. 23, 2012, 3:30 p.m.

The ski lodge is nothing but a pile of bricks and some foundation remains. It burnt down in the '60's……and was left as it is now.IIRC it ran for about 2-3 winters but then suffered form lack of snow. If you poke around you can see the few ski run cuts there still. There's 12 or more cabins up there just below the lodge's remains that can be leased fron the gov't. The Coq. Search and Rescue has one up there too. There's a great trail network up there for hiking and cross country skiing only. Some great waterfalls and lakes to check out to. Some really cool scenery (sunrise) and a time capsule at the Coquitlam Mountain Summit. You're looking at about 2 hours+, up from the gun-club gate. Pretty sweet DH training run from there down to Triple Crown.

Spend a day to get up there, and if inclined, continue North to connect it to The Fools Gold Route and the old B22 Bomber that crashed up there waaaaaaaaay back. Rumour has it, it was full of gold…..

Happy Trails!

tim

"God gave me eyes so I don't ride my bike thru dog poop right dad?" <- my 11 year-old ->

..`Good times come and good times go,
I only wish the good times would last a little longer.."-Mike Ness

Oct. 23, 2012, 5:03 p.m.

a couple guys i grew-up with have cabins up there , this DH run to Triple Crown is it a complete ridable trail ?? may have to hike up too the top and check things out , been a very long time since i have been to Burke have to wander out that way , but with the Woodlot less then 5min from my house it,s hard to travel LOL

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 23, 2012, 5:08 p.m.

a couple guys i grew-up with have cabins up there , this DH run to Triple Crown is it a complete ridable trail ?? may have to hike up too the top and check things out , been a very long time since i have been to Burke have to wander out that way , but with the Woodlot less then 5min from my house it,s hard to travel LOL

the DH run I speak of is the road down, pretty gnarly in spots, and a bit lame in others!

"God gave me eyes so I don't ride my bike thru dog poop right dad?" <- my 11 year-old ->

..`Good times come and good times go,
I only wish the good times would last a little longer.."-Mike Ness

Oct. 23, 2012, 5:22 p.m.

the DH run I speak of is the road down, pretty gnarly in spots, and a bit lame in others!

How far up can one ride, until switching to hiking mode?

Oct. 24, 2012, 8:49 a.m.

How far up can one ride, until switching to hiking mode?

Depends on the lungs, the bike, and the legs - if you have two of the three, you have a better chance. Some noted super-fit guys can ride a good 90% or more of the ride up… even the sections above TC…. lots of folks can clean the entire road from the gun club to the TC trail head, even on 'larger' bikes equipped with a granny. Above that, there are some sections that defy pretty much most rider's I've seen, but they are short sections.

Oct. 25, 2012, 6:48 p.m.

Looks like a big excavator got torched.

Must be a random act. Never thought of the road up there as a place to go drink beers, and bring a can of gas though?

If someone borrowed my tools please return them.

Chainsmoker 8)

Oct. 25, 2012, 8:17 p.m.

Looks like a big excavator got torched.

Must be a random act. Never thought of the road up there as a place to go drink beers, and bring a can of gas though?

If someone borrowed my tools please return them.

it happened on Sunday, Vic was heading up as the fire trucks came through. I'm not sure how often excavators catch on fire while unattended but I'd bet on some d-bag setting it on fire.

Oct. 26, 2012, 10:58 a.m.

We were up there talking to one of the workers the next day and the fire department confirmed that it was arson.