Burke 2013 Conditions

Oct. 20, 2013, 5:08 p.m.

burke running so well right now.

Yesterday we headed for Sandinista - Slayer - Lower GOC jumps - Green Bastard - Flow… or something like that. Got out of the clouds and into the sun shortly after hitting the powerlines.

Everything was riding super fast. Great furious ride. Met up with a solo female rider and her dog who was also shredding the train and having a great time. I think Mrs. WH liked having another anti-testosterone pill around for the DH.

Today went back up with the 8 year old to hit Slayer top to bottom, and then back up to Garbage/Last run combo (or whatever they are called these days). Today we did not get out of the clouds until the 2.5km mark on the road, but it was gorgeous to see Baker above the clouds when we hit that point.

From today on the cell phone - the little dude blew me away with how he's progressing:

heading back into the fog:

nearly at the car:

Oct. 20, 2013, 6:39 p.m.

toyed with heading back to Burke today but ended up at Bear again similar view from the lookout at the entrance to WASP the valley all covered in a white fog with the mountains sticking thru very cool view , what is the last trail image your little guy is riding ?

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 20, 2013, 7:12 p.m.

that's the garbage trail

Oct. 21, 2013, 9:11 a.m.

Burke was running great yesterday. Log down on Elevator though.

:canada:

Oct. 21, 2013, 11:10 a.m.

Looks awesome Honky. If you ever want to take another 8 year old and 40 year old out, shoot me a PM. We recently moved to Port Moody and I don't know Burke. Those trails looks good for the kids on their hardtails.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Oct. 21, 2013, 5:40 p.m.

I concur, also rode yesterday in the fog but the trails were pretty much perfect. Ran into Vic
Doing some nice work on the lower trails…cant wait to ride them next weekend now

Nov. 20, 2013, 8:59 a.m.

Looking for some winter time trail suggestions.
Unfortunatly Burke is a Mtn I dont get to enough, or at all…basically once a year.

Which trails are sustainable for riding during the wet season and whcih trails are running great right now, being that we have dry conditions for the next week or so (fingers crossed)

Thanks in Advance
Cheers

Nov. 20, 2013, 4:39 p.m.

Looking for some winter time trail suggestions.
Unfortunatly Burke is a Mtn I dont get to enough, or at all…basically once a year.

Which trails are sustainable for riding during the wet season and whcih trails are running great right now, being that we have dry conditions for the next week or so (fingers crossed)

Thanks in Advance
Cheers

I don't think I would recommend riding most any of the trails while they are saturated, in the rain, although several have come quite a ways in the last couple of years with their sustainability.

With an estimated 25,000 lbs of rock, road mix and dirt placed on the BRAAP trail bed in the last couple years its in pretty good shape. Garbage and Escalator,(Lower elevator)are in good shape as well sustainability wise, but still have small sections that need improvement to make those sections "wet weather". A day after a heavy rain these trails would be good to ride.
Several other trails have seen improvements as well.

Most of the trails are not armored like many of the shore trails and were not built to be sustainable, thus are susceptible to damage by riding in poor conditions.

Oh….watch out for the Garbage trail maintainer, I hear he's a grumpy SOB…

Chainsmoker 8)

Nov. 24, 2013, 5:18 p.m.

First time riding Burke in about 20 years. Need to get out there more. Rode some good trails today. Excellent conditions.

Dec. 12, 2013, 11:10 a.m.

Sunday went for a solo investigating ride. First time up there. Am i supposed to pass the first new power line cut road? I kept going up the steep steep road for a good while. Ended up going down Sandinista to evaluator maybe? What is the trail before Sandinista with the hub cap at the entrance? Good fun, can't wait to go back.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Dec. 12, 2013, 5:55 p.m.

The first road you mentioned does access a couple of trails but the way you took gives you many more options. The trail with the hub cap sounds like triple crown. The trail after sandinista is elevator.

Dec. 13, 2013, 2:34 p.m.

Heading up this weekend with an intermediate rider, any idea which is the least gnarly option higher up and if it's easy to spot the entrance? Only been there once before and went no higher than Frank's I believe.

Dec. 13, 2013, 2:41 p.m.

Heading up this weekend with an intermediate rider, any idea which is the least gnarly option higher up and if it's easy to spot the entrance? Only been there once before and went no higher than Frank's I believe.

a bit of snow came down this week, I'm not sure where the snowline is, but it'll be either snow or sloppy (or both) up there this weekend.

Dec. 19, 2013, 4:42 p.m.

Trails are frozen and fast again.
No douchbags or pot smoking builders spotted :rolleyes:

Chainsmoker 8)