Burke 2013 Conditions

July 27, 2013, 4:39 p.m.

FYI, there's a bee nest in that stump at the top of Sandinista. Found out the hard way and got a couple stings. =(

A bit of a surprise at the end of Sandonista. Couple big trees to climb over, then there's sort of a trail that continues through the new hydrocut. We kind of followed the road down a bit and then came across a trail that I had ridden before but can't recall the name. Took us to Slayer so then I knew my way around again. Weird how everything looks different without the forest!

I didn't mean to add that angry face to top of this post…..

:belgium: :canada:

July 27, 2013, 11:03 p.m.

I'm in Romania for a week…I already miss the Burke…

July 28, 2013, 5:33 p.m.

Had a solid ride on it today. Bring your bug spray and water though. It's muggy up there and the flies are relentless.

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Oct. 6, 2013, 8:57 p.m.

This thread's been dormant for a while. Lots of Burke riding lately as me loves the loam. The 'clear cuts' are getting more worked in over the summer and lines are through or around much of the Hydro work. Exit of Sandinista/Upper TC still has one section of large logs you need to leapfrog over, but it's a minor nuisance and ain't no one trimmin' those trees anytime soon.

Still, trails are running great this weekend.

The "new" exit to Sandinista after the clearing for a new hydro line - fortunately 97% is still intact:

She flies even uphill - Mrs. WH on Upper Slayer:

Mmmmm…. Burke loam:

The rooty goodness:

Oct. 13, 2013, 10:10 a.m.

Tacky loamy goodness on all the slabs and naturals on Burke. Nescafe and Vic's running good and old skool. Keep 'em that way! Crappy cell phone shots.

Oct. 14, 2013, 3:56 p.m.

rode there today for the 1st time in 10yrs , no idea what trails we rode LOL but it was a good day been a long time since i have seen so much loam

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 16, 2013, 10:11 a.m.

Rode Ridden Art for the first time this past weekend - What a GREAT trail - Fast, jumpy, flowy…in amazing shape.
In fact, all the trails at the moment are in great shape…lovely stuff.

Oct. 16, 2013, 10:17 a.m.

How's Burke for a hardtail? Pics don't look too bad but I want to know if I'm going to get pwnd or not. ;)

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 16, 2013, 10:59 a.m.

How's Burke for a hardtail? Pics don't look too bad but I want to know if I'm going to get pwnd or not. ;)

I would say that a large # of trails are great on a hardtail. Especially all the 'newer' lower mountain trails like Dawg, Flow, Green Bastard, etc.

On the upper mountain, on my now sold 29r hardtail, I've enjoyed Sandinista, Triple Crown, Hustler, Frank's (mid-mtn) on a hardtail; more challenging, but certainly 100% rideable. The ride up to any of these will be significantly more enjoyable on a hardtail.

Less enjoyable on the hardtail are featured or jump trails like Lower Abyss, Elevator, Ridden Art, etc.

Also less enjoyable on a hardtail are the older school tech trails on the true west side like Bean, Nescafe, Vic's.

Oct. 16, 2013, 11:51 a.m.

I would say that a large # of trails are great on a hardtail. Especially all the 'newer' lower mountain trails like Dawg, Flow, Green Bastard, etc.

On the upper mountain, on my now sold 29r hardtail, I've enjoyed Sandinista, Triple Crown, Hustler, Frank's (mid-mtn) on a hardtail; more challenging, but certainly 100% rideable. The ride up to any of these will be significantly more enjoyable on a hardtail.

Less enjoyable on the hardtail are featured or jump trails like Lower Abyss, Elevator, Ridden Art, etc.

Also less enjoyable on a hardtail are the older school tech trails on the true west side like Bean, Nescafe, Vic's.

Hey thanks. You've done me a real solid. How about stuff lower down the mountain, like in the Coquitlam River area? Are there any trails that go from Burke Mountain down to the Crystal Falls area? Maybe there's too much development between these areas.

Also, I have a pretty recent map of Burke so should be able to find the ones you have mentioned. Are the trails themselves reasonably well marked too?

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 16, 2013, 12:25 p.m.

Hey thanks. You've done me a real solid. How about stuff lower down the mountain, like in the Coquitlam River area? Are there any trails that go from Burke Mountain down to the Crystal Falls area? Maybe there's too much development between these areas.

Also, I have a pretty recent map of Burke so should be able to find the ones you have mentioned. Are the trails themselves reasonably well marked too?

There's a nice trail called Coquitlam River Connector from Woodland Walk ( a few minutes past the Nescafe exit) down to the Coquitlam River trail that's about 5-10 minute pedal past Crystal Falls. It's got some steep sections but pretty hardtail friendly. Keep in mind once the rain comes, Crystal Falls can get deep to get across. It also doesn't get a ton of traffic so it might not be a wise solo ride.

Oct. 16, 2013, 1:13 p.m.

There's a nice trail called Coquitlam River Connector from Woodland Walk ( a few minutes past the Nescafe exit) down to the Coquitlam River trail that's about 5-10 minute pedal past Crystal Falls. It's got some steep sections but pretty hardtail friendly. Keep in mind once the rain comes, Crystal Falls can get deep to get across. It also doesn't get a ton of traffic so it might not be a wise solo ride.

I would stay clear of the connector, especially if riding solo,
I rode it a few weeks back and it was unmaintained.
For a HT bike, the best bang for your buck is Franks, as it is a true XC trail.
And id go the right fork route as it is a little longer

Im trying to figure out what that lower abyss trail is someone mentioned. Never heard of it

Oct. 16, 2013, 1:52 p.m.

In the summer I rode a trail in the Coquitlam River area that went up to a subdivision on a street called Oxford or something. I liked it going up and down. It was a nice flowy xc number that was a lot better than the rest of the Coquitlam River/Crystal Falls area (ie didn't have all the mud.) That's what makes me wonder about connections between that area and Burke.

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 16, 2013, 2:23 p.m.

How about Flywheel? That looks like a long one! Any good?

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 16, 2013, 2:45 p.m.

In the summer I rode a trail in the Coquitlam River area that went up to a subdivision on a street called Oxford or something. I liked it going up and down. It was a nice flowy xc number that was a lot better than the rest of the Coquitlam River/Crystal Falls area (ie didn't have all the mud.) That's what makes me wonder about connections between that area and Burke.

The one from Oxford is pretty much a double track all the way down, it would make for a nice climb though. I've heard of another one in that area but I've never found it.

How about Flywheel? That looks like a long one! Any good?

Flywheel is really fun for the first part, really fun for the last part, and a mix of kinda chundery and a few boggy spots in the middle. It's really fun when it's dry, not so much when it's wet. Get a ride in while you can, development is pushing through there in the next short while. Flagging tape and surveyor stakes everywhere.