Abbotsford 2013 Conditions

Oct. 31, 2013, 10:38 a.m.

There is a tree down near the end of Squid line. It is past the last climb. Its where the trail still goes west before it heads back east.

Nov. 1, 2013, 1:43 p.m.

i'm going to be in abby this weekend, what's a "stands up to the rain" trail i can ride with a clear conscience on sunday if it clears up?

bonus points if i can ride it with my son: he's 6, and loved squidline until it got all long and xc towards the end…

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 1, 2013, 3:21 p.m.

Unfortunately the only Abbotsford trail that is good when wet is the south side of Ledgeview.
Excellerator, Son of Boulderdash, Autobahn, Lower and Upper Ambidexcrous, And maybe Flintstones, all South side trails. These trail may be too advnced for your 6 year old.
If you start from the bottom of the Ranchero climb trail and branch right on to Lower Ambidexcrous would be the easiest. Upper Ambi… is faily easy except for some tough climbs.
Most of these trails are better in our wet winters.

I will say the South side of Ledgeview has some of the most scenic views anywhere. The whole south side is on benches that switch-back their way down a limestone cliff. Behind waterfalls and in and out the mouth of caves. Did I mention bridges.

Nov. 1, 2013, 3:26 p.m.

Unfortunately the only Abbotsford trail that is good when wet is the south side of Ledgeview.

for sure, those trails run great in the wet and the cold keeps your body temp down while grunting up the xcellerator switchbacks. but yeah, too advanced for a kid

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 1, 2013, 3:28 p.m.

If it was me I would start with Tools of the trade, up to Ecellerator, Boulderdash Autobahn, Lower Ambi, and finnish with the bottom of Son of Berminator. If you have more energy I would do Upper Ambi, an extra 30 min. The whole ride would take around 2.5 hours.

Nov. 1, 2013, 4:09 p.m.

Red is a good rain ride

Nov. 2, 2013, 7:51 a.m.

Red is a good rain ride

As someone who spent a few years maintaining those trails and repairing the damage done by those who got the idea that "those trails are good in the wet", I have to respectfully disagree.

Nov. 2, 2013, 8:40 a.m.

i'm going to be in abby this weekend, what's a "stands up to the rain" trail i can ride with a clear conscience on sunday if it clears up?

bonus points if i can ride it with my son: he's 6, and loved squidline until it got all long and xc towards the end…

The north side ledgeview trails are quite greasy in the wet but you're not going to do any damage to them. They are more kid-friendly too.

Nov. 2, 2013, 2:19 p.m.

If it was me I would start with Tools of the trade, up to Ecellerator, Boulderdash Autobahn, Lower Ambi, and finnish with the bottom of Son of Berminator. If you have more energy I would do Upper Ambi, an extra 30 min. The whole ride would take around 2.5 hours.

that sounds perfect. are ambi and tools well marked/easy to find - or are tail maps of ledge available? i've heard of them but am only familiar with xcellerator and its exits

Nov. 2, 2013, 3:54 p.m.

that sounds perfect. are ambi and tools well marked/easy to find - or are tail maps of ledge available? i've heard of them but am only familiar with xcellerator and its exits

Not really. But most of those trails can be ridden in either direction and it would be tough to get dangerously lost. You could always check Strava segments.

Nov. 2, 2013, 5:26 p.m.

You can definitely ride the south side in the with wet with a clear conscious, I do.

A possible route to take with your son would be to park at the end of Harvest Dr. (google Harvest Dr., Abbotsford). Take the trail head behind the road barriers (not to the right) and follow the main trails straight over to Lazyboy. You're on the right track if you cross a cedar bridge over the farmers fence. Take Lazyboy and Tools of the Trade up to the top of the Ranch climb, then come back down the way you came up. They were built to be dual direction. Depending on how strong of a climber your little guy is, round trip should be about 45mins. The trails aren't really labeled but should be fairly visible. I brushed/weedeated them this past month.

Here's a part of that loop - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/274743797

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

Nov. 4, 2013, 11:28 a.m.

You can definitely ride the south side in the with wet with a clear conscious, I do

i had an awesome ride on ledgeview on sunday. xcellerator was in great shape - its incredible how well that trail rides when went - and the leaves made it slippery fun. north side wasn't bad either, i'm used to it being pretty soupy after a rain but, other than some standing water in places, the trails i rode were firm and fast

i'll have to remember harvest drive entrance for next time. exited there after getting lost at the end of xcellerator, but did a bit of scouting and am looking forward to climbing single track instead of the truly awful climb up from the golf course next time

:)

Nov. 4, 2013, 5:48 p.m.

The top Squidline and all of Nob-gobbler are in the snow. There is not much, it likely won't last. So we went to Bear today.
Wasp, Lorax, Smoking bobo, back to the top. Then Biggins, Little death, Corduroy,and Cranked

Nov. 9, 2013, 10:47 a.m.

Has anyone ridden the south side of Ledgview recently ?

Nov. 9, 2013, 5:57 p.m.

Trever and I spent all day up there on leaf patrol