Seymour Trail Conditions Thread

Sept. 12, 2020, 4:16 p.m.

Currently, Trailforks is showing Boogienights as ridden 98% downhill which means 2% of riders have ridden uphill. Even though TF states it's a downhill only trail, I'm not aware of any specific "no entry" signs at the bottom of Boogienights (or John Deere). 

Can anyone confirm this? And does anyone know what the land managers take on this is?

Sept. 12, 2020, 5:22 p.m.

Boogie nights also gets riders hiking back up it to session... maybe less now than when if first opened, but my assumption would be that 2% noted on TF is most likely from this.

Edit to add...

Boogie Nights & JD are different land mangers. Boogie Nights is District of North Van, JD is owned by CMHC and managed by the province (Rec Sites & Trails).

DNV doesn't really have clear policies (remember they randomly put signs on Ladies to make it bikes only without consulting with anyone... Boogie Nights would be a better place for that signage)

RST does have options to limit user groups or limit user direction on trails. As one of the current builders on JD*, I've advocated for signage on JD for bikes to be restricted to downhill only since it was (re)opened. It needs signs at the bottom that say "Warning! High Speed Bike Traffic. Foot traffic recommended to take Old Buck or Academy Climb / Penny Lane / Good Sir Martin. Bikes downhill only." JD is popular with trail runners & I really really don't like limiting any user groups trail access, so I don't think it should be bikes only, but warning signs with an alternate route suggestion should make for a more pleasant trail experience for everyone.

(*many thanks to Bryce for the original build on JD and Martin for all of the fresh work).

Last edited by: mudhoney on Sept. 12, 2020, 5:40 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 14, 2020, 9:39 a.m.

worst part is hikers with dogs not on leashes.... come close a few times taking animals out on JD.

Last edited by: LoamtoHome on Sept. 14, 2020, 9:40 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 1, 2020, 11:30 a.m.

Posted by: PaulB

I've met a guy heading up Boogie Nights on an e-bike, but not an MTB.  With the shiny new bridge at the exit, I think he assumed it was just another general purpose trail going up from Bridle.  I let him know it was a downhill (and often high speed) primary, but he didn't seem to care.

Came around the corner on Boogie Nights before the step-down the other day and two bikers were stopped chatting with two elderly hikers... interestingly they were the same hikers I ran into on the BP between Boogieman and GSM about an hour before on my first lap. They flagged me down to ask for directions to Old Buck and back to the parking lot. How they ended up on Boogie Nights is beyond me, but I am glad they weren't hurt! Ebikers climbing descent trails is just mind boggling, especially if they do it after being told not to and/or seeing people descending at speed.

Feb. 19, 2021, 1:49 p.m.

Why is Indian River Rd. still closed...? One of those initial Covid closure related things that they just conveniently forgot to take down...?

Feb. 19, 2021, 4:04 p.m.

nimby's

Feb. 22, 2021, 9:45 a.m.

Posted by: MaxRockatansky

nimby's

That was my assumption. Who makes the call on stuff like that? Can the local residents just decide that they want to close their street or is it just that the residents would be pressuring (whoever is responsible for this stuff) to keep it closed?

Feb. 22, 2021, 7:09 p.m.

I would take a guess that the residents down Indian River Drive generally have a lot of money. Take it from there...

Feb. 22, 2021, 8:54 p.m.

One of my daughter's classmates lives out there.  Their neighbour is the founder of Herschel Supply Co.  I'm sure there are others of similar means.

Feb. 22, 2021, 11:07 p.m.

It’s like a 10 minute pedal on flat ground to convenient places to park. If that’s a big concern it might be time to take up something less strenuous like knitting.

Feb. 23, 2021, 9:18 a.m.

I never park there anyways... it's just funny to me driving by there and seeing the closed sign because you know it's just one of those Covid related things that they did way back at the beginning of the pandemic to be extra cautious and then just conveniently never took it down despite the fact that there is no basis for it. So I can take a flight to Hawaii now but I can't go to Indian River Dr? Maybe I am being a bit of a d--k but this NIMBY type stuff just really grinds my gears.

Feb. 23, 2021, 2:07 p.m.

No worries - that was just some e-sarc. I get the argument against the nimby thing as Riverside is an access point to public rec and shutting off accessing affects that. I also get the residents pov too though as riverside is pretty narrow in spots and I've  seen a lot of people drive like assholes while pedaling up there as well as the parking situation being a gong show. It seems like a typical case of a fee nitwits ruining it for everyone.

Feb. 24, 2021, 2:53 p.m.

There sure is some self entitled, holier than thou driving behaviour coming from the end of the road I've witnessed while heading out for rides. I heard the neighborhood right as you enter the forest has started sending details of serial offenders to the RCMP.

Feb. 24, 2021, 2:56 p.m.

Posted by: MaxRockatansky

There sure is some self entitled, holier than thou driving behaviour coming from the end of the road I've witnessed while heading out for rides. I heard the neighborhood right as you enter the forest has started sending details of serial offenders to the RCMP.

I had a friend who lived up there that I did a bunch of reno work for over the years and it was surprising how fast some people rip through those narrow sections, especially when there are cars parked on both sides of the street.

Sept. 4, 2021, 5:16 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

It’s like a 10 minute pedal on flat ground to convenient places to park. If that’s a big concern it might be time to take up something less strenuous like knitting.

The local residents don't want anyone _riding or walking_ on Indian River Drive, either, its not just about cars. There are some rock climbing areas that got developed down there, and lots of stories of climbers getting hassled as they walk into or out from the crags.

Its difficult to understand how we got here. On the one hand, its a private road on public land, that seems wrong. On the other, I've heard claims that there have been accidents, and the local residents have had to pay legal costs, and were not happy. The road owners legally have the right to kick people off their road, and there is no benefit to them to allowing access, so they do kick people off (or at least some do, others might not care and drive quietly by). This is probably made worse by lawyers and insurance corps, which see zero benefit in trying to accomodate other uses, and of course, whatever level of government which was so short-sighted as to allow private roads to be built on public land without an understanding that the public could at least benefit from the use of the road!