Fromme trail conditions

June 10, 2020, 9:06 p.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

curious what the story was re: that house. almost finished / never lived in. big chunk of $$ someone sat on for a long time. weird.

From what I heard, built without the right permits. That all could be hearsay tho.

June 11, 2020, 7:59 a.m.

Posted by: DanL

It would still be great to have something that connected Dempsey Connector to the parking lot or 4th switchback to create a two way traffic trail across the mountain. Bombard the DNV with requests for this as we are constantly being denied valid entrances and exits to Fromme.

If they were able to create a route from BP/Dempsey Connector up to either the 2nd or 4th switchback that would be a game-changer for Fromme. Kind of like how GSM on Seymour opened up so many more options. That's one of the main reasons I prefer Seymour over Fromme, since it's so much easier to link up different routes when doing multiple laps. 

Would this even be an option considering the Van Tan club and the terrain, etc?

June 11, 2020, 8:58 a.m.

The tough one is getting across the creek that separates the mountain beside the van tan club/barts bridge area on ladies. But everything is possible. The DNV have apparently 'looked into it' and gone as far as having a feasability survey done, but at the same time, completely ignoring the huge impact that the NSMBA can make on this kind of trail build. Parks are kind of digging their heels in citing budget concerns and it's definitely a large project that would require a serious amount of conservation and a light hand but the NSMBA and the builders seem to exist in a blind spot when evaluating this....

So write, write, write. It's the only way to get the conversation shifting. They're your public servants not the gatekeepers to the outdoors.

If a small team of dedicated builders can create GSM there's zero reason that a mellow trail to connect dempsey to 4th switchback can't be planned and executed. Something that was as wide as the BP but as mellow as 'For the Kids' to allow multi use and allow AMTB as well.

June 11, 2020, 9:45 a.m.

I think there was talk about this on another thread a few months ago. I have really explored Fromme on foot and there is so many old skid roads and easy sections everywhere to make this route work. Getting the plan into motion is no easy task.

June 11, 2020, 12:17 p.m.

It was probably me again, I keep banging on about this, haha. I knew that the route past that house was going to get closed at some point and in emails, DNV parks did not want to acknowledge the part that the NSMBA could play in this.  I also don't particularly trust their email responses after Griffin switchbacks.

But positive pressure, emails, inquiries from multiple sources etc can get back on it

June 14, 2020, 12:36 a.m.

Nobody and no trails exit near or around that house, so what is the concern?

June 14, 2020, 11:05 a.m.

A lot of people use the Dempsey connector to traverse from lower westside Fromme trails back to Fromme parking lot, Mtn Hwy parking or if they live in Upper Lynn Valley. 

There are alternatives like taking Dempsey Rd from Braemar zone or climbing back up to Baden Powell and traversing across. Neither of these options are great imo.

June 14, 2020, 10:15 p.m.

Had a really weird experience on Expresso today. Was probably 3/4ths down the trail today when there was a 40-something looking asian woman on the trail. I slowed up to pass and she made eye contact and tried to ask me a question so I stopped. She asked if I was looking for two guys on the trail, but her English didn't seem super strong and I think she meant she was looking for two guys? I then noticed she was casually holding a 6" meat cleaver. I told her I hadn't seen anyone and got the fuck out of there.

I want to be clear, at no point was she aggressive nor did I ever feel threatened (though I was happy to put some distance between us) but like... wtf? Who goes hiking with a meat cleaver?

Sept. 9, 2020, 2:10 p.m.

Don't ride with your mouth open. May get a mouthful of moth. Out for a lunchbreak rip, moths galore.

Oct. 14, 2020, 8:10 p.m.

How steep is the first rock roll on Expresso? Degrees like......anyone know?

Last edited by: tungsten on Oct. 15, 2020, 12:46 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 15, 2020, 12:40 p.m.

50 probably

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Oct. 15, 2020, 12:41 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 15, 2020, 2:18 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

about tree fiddy

FTFY

Oct. 16, 2020, 10:56 a.m.

Posted by: rnayel

Posted by: Brocklanders

about tree fiddy

FTFY

huh?

Oct. 16, 2020, noon

this Tree Fiddy... whatever that means

Dec. 1, 2021, 11:04 a.m.

So how are the trails holding up after all this rain we've gotten recently?