Squamish Trail Conditions Thread

March 29, 2019, 10:13 a.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Can someone rank the Alice Lake slab trails in terms of difficulty? I've done Room with a View (I think that's the easiest) and Boney Elbows - what's the next easiest one after that? Would that be Dirk's Diggler or In and Out Burger? And for In and Out Burger - for the big main slab, is there an easier line to the riders left? I like slab trails but don't have a ton of experience and the big main line on In and Out Burger looks a bit intimidating.

Of the ones I've ridden, I would rate it easiest to hardest Room with a View, Boney Elbows, Dirks Diggler, In n Out Burger, Hueso. Have not yet ridden Gouranga, 2 stroke, Take the Do-nut, Larvacide, Penthouse or Intestinal... I understand Intestinal/Larvacide are the hardest ones.

In-n-Out has 3 or 4 different lines. The far left is the easiest from a commitment/exposure point of view because it's broken up into sections but I think it's actually challenging to ride because of the off camber and requirement to turn. The main line down the middle is visually intimidating but you have enough grip to literally track stand at any point until the last pitch into the woods, and then it's a straight shot with no drops or anything. So as long as you maintain control/speed it's not bad, I literally crept down as slow as possible the first time. You can also walk in from the side to the last pitch if you want to start from there the first time. There are harder lines to riders right as well I believe.

Dirks has hard optional lines but the easier ones are straight forward and not exposed/committing, similar difficulty to Boney I would say. Hueso used to be single black on TF so I rode it once and had to walk a bunch of stuff, above my pay grade especially since I ride alone often.

March 29, 2019, 12:13 p.m.

Thanks for the info - sound like I should give Dirk's Diggler a try. I fumbled my way down In and Out Burger and prob won't ride it again... it would be cool to do for the sense of accomplishment but other than that it's literally just death gripping your brakes and hoping you don't die on the way down! I can live without that. 

After seeing In and Out Burger in person it makes me realize how insane it is that Bernard Kerr did the nose wheelie down it! Makes you realize how big of a skill gap there is between the pros and avg. Joe riders like myself.

April 1, 2019, 1:57 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Thanks for the info - sound like I should give Dirk's Diggler a try. I fumbled my way down In and Out Burger and prob won't ride it again... it would be cool to do for the sense of accomplishment but other than that it's literally just death gripping your brakes and hoping you don't die on the way down! I can live without that. 

After seeing In and Out Burger in person it makes me realize how insane it is that Bernard Kerr did the nose wheelie down it! Makes you realize how big of a skill gap there is between the pros and avg. Joe riders like myself.

Yeah that nose wheelie was mental for sure, dude has skill and balls. I find the guys that can do the Penthouse drop onto slab and maintain control pretty mind blowing too, my risk tolerance for big crashes is way too long to consider that stuff. You'll like Dirks, there are relatively easy options most of the way down and they are shorter bits so less commitment. Also possible to walk past moves you aren't comfortable with.

April 1, 2019, 6:08 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Of the ones I've ridden, I would rate it easiest to hardest Room with a View, Boney Elbows, Dirks Diggler, In n Out Burger, Hueso. Have not yet ridden Gouranga, 2 stroke, Take the Do-nut, Larvacide, Penthouse or Intestinal... I understand Intestinal/Larvacide are the hardest ones.

Take the Do-Nut - mostly just a natural trail with an easy, short slab at the end.

Gouranga - steep, rooty, natural trail with no significant slabs other than the option right line rock ride at the end.

Penthouse - long slab, shorter than In and Out but a bit steeper, and you come out faster at the bottom.

Intestinal Fortitude - overall, not that hard a trail, except for the big slab at the end, which is full-on. It rolls over steeper and steeper as you go, and it’s a balance between going as slow as you can and avoiding locking up. By the end, you’re really moving.

Larvicide - steep, exposed slabs the whole way down. Probably the hardest in the area overall.

2-stroke - did it once a while ago and don’t remember. I recall the slabs being toned down compared to, say, Boney Elbows.

I think Hueso would be a good one to try. Nothing too, too crazy on there. Value Added also has some nice slabs that are unlikely to kill you.

April 5, 2019, 11:13 a.m.

Posted by: D_C_

Posted by: grambo

Take the Do-Nut - mostly just a natural trail with an easy, short slab at the end.

Gouranga - steep, rooty, natural trail with no significant slabs other than the option right line rock ride at the end.

Penthouse - long slab, shorter than In and Out but a bit steeper, and you come out faster at the bottom.

Intestinal Fortitude - overall, not that hard a trail, except for the big slab at the end, which is full-on. It rolls over steeper and steeper as you go, and it’s a balance between going as slow as you can and avoiding locking up. By the end, you’re really moving.

Larvicide - steep, exposed slabs the whole way down. Probably the hardest in the area overall.

2-stroke - did it once a while ago and don’t remember. I recall the slabs being toned down compared to, say, Boney Elbows.

I think Hueso would be a good one to try. Nothing too, too crazy on there. Value Added also has some nice slabs that are unlikely to kill you.

Nice, thanks for the summary DC. I've never ridden Gouranga I thought it was all slabs based on the exit line you can see from the road, might check it out since steep rooty is my jam. I guess Chossy Slabz could be added since it's not really hidden? Even if not on trailforks, I looked at the entrance last year and decided it was beyond me.

Last edited by: grambo on April 5, 2019, 11:14 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 5, 2019, 3:44 p.m.

rode chossy for the first time couple weeks ago, just rolled in following some friends and don't remember anything too intense...

April 11, 2019, 5:07 p.m.

Posted by: FlipFantasia

rode chossy for the first time couple weeks ago, just rolled in following some friends and don't remember anything too intense...

The first roll-in is steep and chunky.

Last edited by: D_C_ on April 11, 2019, 5:08 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 5, 2019, 6:42 p.m.

Beautiful day.  Highlands trails are running pretty good.  One of the busiest days Ive seen in Squamish.  Lots of traffic going to Hot Tuna.  Too bad.

May 8, 2019, 1:28 p.m.

How difficult is Value Added? Trailforks says it's a double black and even some of the single blacks in Squamish can be pretty tricky, so I assume it has some pretty spicy sections... do the sketchy parts have ride arounds (or can you safely walk down them, etc.)?

May 8, 2019, 2:49 p.m.

Value added has one spicy slab with an easy route down it and a harder route. That's what makes is double black, otherwise if you can ride Boney Elbows you will really enjoy this trail, it's definitely worth checking out!

Last edited by: TheSpangler on May 8, 2019, 2:49 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 8, 2019, 3:26 p.m.

Posted by: TheSpangler

Value added has one spicy slab with an easy route down it and a harder route. That's what makes is double black, otherwise if you can ride Boney Elbows you will really enjoy this trail, it's definitely worth checking out!

Awesome - that's exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks

May 21, 2019, 12:05 p.m.

A friend lost a race face elbow pad - might have dropped out up at the top of Perth Drive - Is there a community lost+found around the area?

May 22, 2020, 8:23 a.m.

Regarding the Four Lakes summer trail closure - are you not allowed to take a left at the bottom of Man Boobs to get back to Tracks from Hell/Mikes Loop (Edith Lake)? If not, how are you supposed to exit Man Boobs without taking a huge detour?

Last edited by: Bull_Dozer on May 22, 2020, 8:23 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 22, 2020, 9:07 a.m.

Yes, you can turn left on Bob Macintosh and stay left on the main access track/service road to Edith Lake but you can't ride the singletracks trails in summer

May 22, 2020, 9:57 a.m.

On Value added there is also one kind of jank rock spine in to a right hander that can be a bit hairy if it's wet or super dusty but usually fine normally.  Just take your time and look at the spicy bits first. It's not too bad.

Last edited by: thaaad on May 22, 2020, 9:58 a.m., edited 1 time in total.