2018 Fromme Trail Conditions Thread

June 21, 2019, 3:22 a.m.

Perhaps flow trails ribbons of gold are more their style? As for myself...bring on the jank.

June 21, 2019, 2:05 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

You guys that consider Upper Digger a janky mess can show yourselves to the door. Some of us cheerish and love that which you call a janky mess.

"Janky mess" is a term of endearment in my world...

June 24, 2019, 12:51 p.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

You guys that consider Upper Digger a janky mess can show yourselves to the door. Some of us cheerish and love that which you call a janky mess.

"Janky mess" is a term of endearment in my world...

This. Love the jank, respect the jank... meant to add "in a good way" to my post. Definitely do not want jank paved for flow trails (which I also enjoy when they are built well, but would much rather see hand built single track going in that more flow).

June 28, 2019, 8:45 p.m.

Hey you kids, leave my jank alone.....

I was disappointed to see Lower Digger get paved, but I totally accept that is the new norm. But Upper Digger is great the way it is, there are a few people that keep it running (on the DL).

If you don't like Upper Digger, then ride something else, there are so few trails left with that kind of tech on Fromme, it needs to be preserved.

July 28, 2019, 10:31 a.m.

Ambulance and fire dept. On Fromme at top of Oil can Sat aft. Hope person is OK not sure if it was a rider or hiker. Could hear the two way radios on way up upper crippler but didn't see the Evac location.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on July 28, 2019, 10:32 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 29, 2019, 9:03 a.m.

Posted by: TonyJ

Hey you kids, leave my jank alone.....

I was disappointed to see Lower Digger get paved, but I totally accept that is the new norm. But Upper Digger is great the way it is, there are a few people that keep it running (on the DL).

If you don't like Upper Digger, then ride something else, there are so few trails left with that kind of tech on Fromme, it needs to be preserved.

Rode grannies to upper digger the other week. Forgot how fun those trails are. There is flow to be found on these trails for sure. They 100% should be left as is.. The steeps are still really challenging and it makes me laugh what we used to ride them on...

Sept. 6, 2019, 4:01 p.m.

does anyone know what's up with the new bridge they built on Baden Powell,  just east of bottom of expresso, close to kilmer junction?   they took out what seemed like a perfectly fine bridge and the mountain bike ride around and replaced it with a bridge that forces you off the bike and up 5-6 stairs.

Sept. 8, 2019, 9:48 p.m.

Posted by: rip78

does anyone know what's up with the new bridge they built on Baden Powell,  just east of bottom of expresso, close to kilmer junction?   they took out what seemed like a perfectly fine bridge and the mountain bike ride around and replaced it with a bridge that forces you off the bike and up 5-6 stairs.

I noticed that...... I was disorientated for a bit, thought I was on the wrong trail.

Sept. 10, 2019, 6:31 a.m.

Posted by: Ouch

I noticed that...... I was disorientated for a bit, thought I was on the wrong trail.

It was a bit low. When the stream would get high it would flow over top of the bridge. Plus think it needed a replace anyways. 

Went for a quick pedal after work last night around six. Didn't see a single person on the trails on the west side of Fromme . Weird 

Trails were awesome, tacked up from the rain but dry. 

Don't forget your lights. Dark in there around 745

Sept. 10, 2019, 10:24 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

It was a bit low. When the stream would get high it would flow over top of the bridge. Plus think it needed a replace anyways. 

Went for a quick pedal after work last night around six. Didn't see a single person on the trails on the west side of Fromme . Weird 

Maybe the short spurt of biblical rain kept a few people off the trails last night. Weird.

Sept. 27, 2019, 10 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Maybe the short spurt of biblical rain kept a few people off the trails last night. Weird.

For more discussion on this see the the following forum and then get ready to write some emails so we can get this fixed! ;)

https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/the-shore-3/topic/new-kilmer-creek-bridge-on-the-baden-powell-on-fromme-why-no-bicyle-ramp-like-the-old-one-131273/

Dec. 17, 2019, 12:10 p.m.

No Quarter up, but then easiest way down? XC god of climbing buddy who hasn't MTB'd in a few years wants to ride and his wife will kill me if I bring him home broken.

7th to Expresso is what my local trail guru says. An even easier route that you've taken non-technical/non-BC riders down?

I might just go up there before hand and doodle around and see what's what. Never ridden most of the easier/flowy/new school trails could be fun.

Dec. 17, 2019, 12:49 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

No Quarter up, but then easiest way down? XC god of climbing buddy who hasn't MTB'd in a few years wants to ride and his wife will kill me if I bring him home broken.

7th to Expresso is what my local trail guru says. An even easier route that you've taken non-technical/non-BC riders down?

I might just go up there before hand and doodle around and see what's what. Never ridden most of the easier/flowy/new school trails could be fun.

There really isn't an easy way down Fromme from the top unless you take the service road. 7th/Expresso is probably the best option. Seymour is pretty much the same. Without knowing his skill level tho it's hard to say, maybe just be willing to get off the bike a bit. But at least it will be an experience. If you want something for non-tech/non-BC riders then SFU is probably a better place to cut your teeth. Just my opinion anyway.

Dec. 17, 2019, 1:20 p.m.

Roger. Know nothing of SFU. Fromme is familiar, so I won't get lost in the forest and have to eat my leg off to survive.

Buddy raced XC for years in the States and is opposite of whiny. He'll probably be fine 7th/Expresso level trail, but the smoother it is the faster it'll keep us moving.

Dec. 17, 2019, 10:56 p.m.

I’d ask him what he wants, real ride or a tour. Up NQ and then you have plenty of good options. I’d show him the Circus up top because it’s interesting and historic. Then:

If he wants a ride:

7th to Leopard to Cc to Kirkford, or

7th to Espresso

Maybe 7th to Pipeline

If tour:

7th to Ladies

Make sure he isn’t on XC carbon soled shoes regardless. If he was XC he may show up wearing those thinking that those will work fine, just like I did when I moved here!! Oops!!!