2018 Fromme Trail Conditions Thread

March 2, 2019, 8:57 a.m.

Posted by: Vincent66

Thanks again, but I think I had too much of the side cut before writing my message ; my friend only comes next week-end ...

Everything should be ok then ...

Asking again for conditions on West part of Fromme (DW, L-O-C, Boundary, crippler, "climb route", ...).

I didn't have a chance to go check myself.  Thanks !

March 2, 2019, 3:50 p.m.

I hiked up the lower climbing trail to Dempsey to BP over to the parking lot.

Luckily, I had spikes for my boots as it was very icy! I wouldn't recommend riding the lower trails. 

Upper ones may be ok if the snow hasn't melted/refrozen.

Having said that, I saw quite a few bikers heading up Mountain Highway above the parking lot...

March 4, 2019, 10:19 a.m.

It's solid ice across Griffins/King/Roadside - needed spikes to run it.

Last edited by: DanL on March 4, 2019, 10:31 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 5, 2019, 10:47 p.m.

Went up the climb from Braemar to the Baden (bottom of Espresso) on Sunday. The climb was 95% rideable (low torque on the ice), but descending was  awful, too much thaw and re-freeze below the Baden. There was solid clear ice all over the place, I was off walking more (off in the weeds) on the descent than the climb.

March 6, 2019, 9:37 a.m.

just ran griffins->king of the shore->roadside->floppy entrance - all hardpacked ice moving to hard pack snow. Mountain highway is hard pack snow as far as Bobsled with it getting thicker anf fluffier past that I'm sure.

What would really help is if all winter riders could pre-heat their tubeless sealant to 80c then the trails will defrost faster.

March 6, 2019, 9:48 a.m.

the DNV just needs to purchase one of those jet truck ice melter thingamajigs from the railroad and we'll be set.

March 7, 2019, 11:23 a.m.

Well they're going to need something after today. Although the fresh stuff should ad a layer of tackiness to everything, but if it's that thick out there, I'm strapping a board to my feet instead.

March 11, 2019, 8:31 a.m.

Was up on Fromme yesterday with the dog for a trail run. Even with winter spiked shoes the trails are sketchy compact ice.

Hats off to the person who rode lower digger yesterday. More snow on the way tonight. Spring is Cancelled.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

March 11, 2019, 10:42 a.m.

yesterday, above St. Marys was good

portions of No 1/4 and Executioner seemed easier than normal (although, slower because you have to follow the packed line precisely)

If it was white it was good

March 13, 2019, 8:25 a.m.

FYI : griffin switchbacks decommissioned

March 13, 2019, 9:43 a.m.

Unfortunate that the DNV decided to close that one. Looks like some similar decisions on Seymour.

MetroVan has finally published the LSCR trail plan....http://www.metrovancouver.org/services/parks/ParksPublications/LSCRTrailsStrategicPlan.pdf. Looks like good news for CBC and Neds. Metro will finish Dales...and close TNT, Lumpy Gravy, Enquist, Gnomer, Loamer, Dirty Diapers...some of them were in pretty rough shape, but used to be great loops!

March 14, 2019, 4:12 p.m.

Posted by: icullis

Unfortunate that the DNV decided to close that one. Looks like some similar decisions on Seymour.

MetroVan has finally published the LSCR trail plan....http://www.metrovancouver.org/services/parks/ParksPublications/LSCRTrailsStrategicPlan.pdf. Looks like good news for CBC and Neds. Metro will finish Dales...and close TNT, Lumpy Gravy, Enquist, Gnomer, Loamer, Dirty Diapers...some of them were in pretty rough shape, but used to be great loops!

Interesting, had a quick look but need to read more. Are Lumpy Gravy, Loamer and Lola rideable these days? Haven't been in that area in a long time, thought it was all decomissioned but if some was rebuilt would be fun to check out before they really destroy it all.

March 15, 2019, 1:54 p.m.

For anyone interested...

I hiked the climbing trail > Dempsey ascent > BP > lower Digger last night.

Loads of ice above approximately the line where Pennzoil crosses the climbing trail. I'm glad I had my mini crampons on...

March 18, 2019, 11:28 a.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

For anyone interested...

I hiked the climbing trail > Dempsey ascent > BP > lower Digger last night.

Loads of ice above approximately the line where Pennzoil crosses the climbing trail. I'm glad I had my mini crampons on...

Climbing trail from the tennis courts is in fine shape to the first skid road crossing. I came back down Dreamweaver from there, which was icy for the first 50' then was great. I heard it was pretty icy still at the BP but by now I bet it's fine.

March 18, 2019, 12:39 p.m.

Would say be the end of the work week much will be melted, pretty warm out there