2018 Fromme Trail Conditions Thread

Jan. 29, 2019, 9:54 a.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Posted by: grambo

Agree on pay parking. It also seems goofy to have a line of cars waiting to get in there to park (I get it if you have kids), at least most people seem to turn their cars off while waiting. I don't think there's any way to enforce kids/disabled only type thing, pay is probably the only way.

Unless I am going at first light on a weekend morning I don't bother with the parking lot anymore. I still prefer climbing mtn highway so I just park down on Coleman. Makes it easier to ride the stuff below the BP which reminds me I need to check out Lower Digger as I have been seeing good things on instagram.

Yeah I agree that pay parking is the only way to control the parking lot.

I've always wondered why people are waiting in like a 10 car line to get into the parking lot... turnover in the parking lot can't be that quick. Like you're really waiting for like 25 mins to get a parking spot just to avoid an extra 5 min climb from Coleman?

Maybe we should push for meter parking all the way down to Lynn Valley road while we are at it? Can we have something for free for once without the district putting their hands in our pockets? The lot was to take the the parking load off the streets for the local residents, adding pay parking won't accomplish anything except people paying for parking. Thanks to social media the North shore trails usage has been thru the roof in the last couple years. If people wanna sit in their car waiting for a spot that has a max parking time of 2 hours? ( correct me if I'm wrong on that ) that's their choice. This city has exploded and it's pretty much going to be the norm on weekends,  line ups are the new normal, nothing we can do about that.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Jan. 29, 2019, 9:56 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 29, 2019, 11:47 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Maybe we should push for meter parking all the way down to Lynn Valley road while we are at it? Can we have something for free for once without the district putting their hands in our pockets? The lot was to take the the parking load off the streets for the local residents, adding pay parking won't accomplish anything except people paying for parking. Thanks to social media the North shore trails usage has been thru the roof in the last couple years. If people wanna sit in their car waiting for a spot that has a max parking time of 2 hours? ( correct me if I'm wrong on that ) that's their choice. This city has exploded and it's pretty much going to be the norm on weekends,  line ups are the new normal, nothing we can do about that.

There's too few parking spots vs. the # of users so I am saying, why not find a way of giving priority to people who actually need the more convenient parking vs. just having a first come first serve gong show like it is now? 

The North Shore isn't too friendly for people trying to get young kids introduced to the sport and I think the lower Fromme trails are probably the most family friendly. It would be nice to give those people priority (in one way or another) because it's not that practical to have a 6 year old pedaling up mountain highway from Coleman.

Jan. 29, 2019, 6:03 p.m.

Seems like the parking lot has brought more folks out to Fromme. Maybe it was a bad idea to put it in?

I don't know a way to have priority parking for people with challenges or families.

Jan. 29, 2019, 7:31 p.m.

Maybe we should push for meter parking all the way down to Lynn Valley road while we are at it? Can we have something for free for once without the district putting their hands in our pockets? The lot was to take the the parking load off the streets for the local residents, adding pay parking won't accomplish anything except people paying for parking. Thanks to social media the North shore trails usage has been thru the roof in the last couple years. If people wanna sit in their car waiting for a spot that has a max parking time of 2 hours? ( correct me if I'm wrong on that ) that's their choice. This city has exploded and it's pretty much going to be the norm on weekends, line ups are the new normal, nothing we can do about that.

There's too few parking spots vs. the # of users so I am saying, why not find a way of giving priority to people who actually need the more convenient parking vs. just having a first come first serve gong show like it is now?

The North Shore isn't too friendly for people trying to get young kids introduced to the sport and I think the lower Fromme trails are probably the most family friendly. It would be nice to give those people priority (in one way or another) because it's not that practical to have a 6 year old pedaling up mountain highway from Coleman.

I def agree with you on that. Maybe a trail system for small kids/ beginners would be a good plan somewhere on Fromme? Access from Breamar? Something with a super gentle pedal up and a fun flowy down trail or two. Bobsled is a good beginner trail but the enduro-bro- Strava champ factor is a bit sketchy with small kids as discussed on other threads.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Jan. 29, 2019, 7:32 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 31, 2019, 4:49 p.m.

Brocklanders:  the perfect place you allude to is Princess Park.  Easy parking, easy access, gentle grades (if any, really).  How do I know?  Born and raised next to it 30 years, and when I was 8 it was my introduction to riding in the woods.  It is a little groomed now relative to back then, and the power line trail was more open, but there you are.  And as you progress there are some grades/downhill/tech (in fact, in the first NSX video some of the footage is actually shot in Princess Park).  Check it out.  I hear Monica goes there sometimes to yell at dog owners taking Rover out for a walk.

Feb. 1, 2019, 8:53 a.m.

Posted by: blackfly

Brocklanders:  the perfect place you allude to is Princess Park.  Easy parking, easy access, gentle grades (if any, really).  How do I know?  Born and raised next to it 30 years, and when I was 8 it was my introduction to riding in the woods.  It is a little groomed now relative to back then, and the power line trail was more open, but there you are.  And as you progress there are some grades/downhill/tech (in fact, in the first NSX video some of the footage is actually shot in Princess Park).  Check it out.  I hear Monica goes there sometimes to yell at dog owners taking Rover out for a walk.

Yes good point. Ride thru there all the time on the way to and from  Breamar, just live down the road. Circuit 8 is a good training spot too, that's where I first took the wife years back when she jumped in to the sport.

I heard Monica moved.

Feb. 1, 2019, 9:30 a.m.

Princess Park got paved....  gravel mess now.  Wander how much that cost.

Feb. 1, 2019, 4:37 p.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

Princess Park got paved....  gravel mess now.  Wander how much that cost.

True, but if you go off the beaten path.....

Feb. 1, 2019, 4:41 p.m.

Yes good point. Ride thru there all the time on the way to and from  Breamar, just live down the road. Circuit 8 is a good training spot too, that's where I first took the wife years back when she jumped in to the sport.

I heard Monica moved.

Could always find out....go for a night ride and exit at Mountain View Park with you lights on.....see if the door opens with someone with an egg in one hand....

Wonder if she moved to Aldergrove to be with her pal Tinke.......I live in Langley and keep my eyes open for the possibility of caltrops on horse trails that I walk sometimes.

Better yet, she moved back to Ontario where she came from.  There's no place like home......

Feb. 4, 2019, 10:26 a.m.

Agree on pay parking. It also seems goofy to have a line of cars waiting to get in there to park (I get it if you have kids), at least most people seem to turn their cars off while waiting. I don't think there's any way to enforce kids/disabled only type thing, pay is probably the only way.

Unless I am going at first light on a weekend morning I don't bother with the parking lot anymore. I still prefer climbing mtn highway so I just park down on Coleman. Makes it easier to ride the stuff below the BP which reminds me I need to check out Lower Digger as I have been seeing good things on instagram.

I've always wondered why people are waiting in like a 10 car line to get into the parking lot... turnover in the parking lot can't be that quick. Like you're really waiting for like 25 mins to get a parking spot just to avoid an extra 5 min climb from Coleman?

I've been 3 or 4 cars back once or twice and it's taken 10ish minutes so now I don't bother on busy days. Mountain bikers (without kids) waiting in that line are the real head scratchers. I think a lot of the walkers/hikers/dog walker types you see don't even realize you can park lower down and walk up, they just go because there's a parking lot there and then wander aimlessly around a logging road or the BP when there are much nicer areas to go for a walk/hike on the shore (in my opinion).

Feb. 4, 2019, 11:02 a.m.

I've been 3 or 4 cars back once or twice and it's taken 10ish minutes so now I don't bother on busy days. Mountain bikers (without kids) waiting in that line are the real head scratchers. I think a lot of the walkers/hikers/dog walker types you see don't even realize you can park lower down and walk up, they just go because there's a parking lot there and then wander aimlessly around a logging road or the BP when there are much nicer areas to go for a walk/hike on the shore (in my opinion).

Finishing up on Kirkford, Bobsled, or the Baden is ok, but enjoy finishing up on the other side much more. Come down Dreamweaver and where it crosses St Marys hang a left. Stay left after Boundary crosses the creek where it goes right (Boundary exit climb on trailforks).  Easy pedal up to the top of lower Digger. Option: Carry on past Digger backtracking a bit and easy climb up to lower Espresso then over to Digger for the finish.

Feb. 5, 2019, 1:54 p.m.

Fromme park (gate) currently closed due to weather.

Feb. 7, 2019, 9:20 a.m.

Anyone been up Breamar the last couple days? Icy slippery or icy tacky?

Feb. 7, 2019, 5:55 p.m.

Just did a lap of the Braemar Bike Park. Mint as it gets. Dry, frozen, and grippy. Only a thin layer of snow. Should be good as long as the cold sticks around.

Feb. 16, 2019, 12:07 p.m.

Can anyone give us an update ?? after the rain I'm hoping there is something ride-able this weekend