2018 Fromme Trail Conditions Thread

April 13, 2018, 6:24 p.m.

Went up to 7th today, slush started past dy'er mak'er and was rideable up to upper oil can entrance. First quarter maybe of 7th was too snowy, then running well below that.

April 18, 2018, 12:03 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Posted by: grambo

Posted by: Brocklanders

The work going into the NQ climb is unreal.
Saw Peter hard at it a while ago, dunno if he is doing it solo or not but what an improvement.
Props

Heard rumblings of this on Trailforks... I need to go check it out, I always went up Mountain Highway because I spend so much more energy on NQ... but that may change. Added benefit of not having to go back on the BP at the end of the ride.

Its still a grunt up NQ, hoping the ribcage near the top gets sorted, its even more brutal now after all the traffic erosion.

They are also punching a new trail thru along the contour from the Dempsey Connector just past the bottom of Lower Skull back to Mtn Hwy so won't have to ride the Baden back. They have it flagged for the first part so far. Going to be a great option for riders and foot traffic.

Sweet, glad to hear re: Dempsey to Mtn. I rode it a few months ago and it was odd how you ended up riding down a recent fire break and onto private property to get out.

April 19, 2018, 1:41 p.m.

I’m stoked that DNV have put a big speed checker sign on the exit to Fromme so I can check my bike speed for bragging rights.

April 30, 2018, 3:06 p.m.

Did a quick lap up No Quarter and down Lower Oil Can/Crippler on Friday after work. Wow, tons of work on the first part of No Quarter from the tennis courts to Dreamweaver. I hadn't been up No Quarter since May 2017 so not sure how new the work is but the one strip down skid road was mint. For a crappy tech climber like myself it's a huge improvement as I can make it the entire way to DW without coming off the bike. Still chose to jump off and push up the endless ribbed roots on D'yer. 

Lower Oilcan and Crippler running mint.

May 1, 2018, 9:36 a.m.

What time does the gate close these days? Is the lot pretty busy in the weekday evenings?

May 1, 2018, 3:58 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

What time does the gate close these days? Is the lot pretty busy in the weekday evenings?

Sign says 8pm right now. Not sure if they are there right at 8 or not though.

May 1, 2018, 8:29 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Did a quick lap up No Quarter and down Lower Oil Can/Crippler on Friday after work. Wow, tons of work on the first part of No Quarter from the tennis courts to Dreamweaver. I hadn't been up No Quarter since May 2017 so not sure how new the work is but the one strip down skid road was mint. For a crappy tech climber like myself it's a huge improvement as I can make it the entire way to DW without coming off the bike. Still chose to jump off and push up the endless ribbed roots on D'yer.

Lower Oilcan and Crippler running mint.

Ya the work on Nq is great, seen 7th Peter working on it, the guy is a machine. Once the ribcage gets sorted I really will have no reason to park in the main lot. Finishing up on lower espresso, penzoil or dreamweaver is mint.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on May 1, 2018, 8:30 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 4, 2018, 1:47 p.m.

Rode Grannies for the first time last night, some fun old school jank tech there. Went back up NQ for a second lap and wow I had forgotten about how bad the section going west from Expresso area exit to Skid Road climb trail area is, mostly hike a bike. Second lap was going to be Upper Crippler but misjudged time and ended up taking an Expresso/BP race run to make it back to the car before 8. Lots of recent work on Expresso especially the lower section, beautiful fresh berms thank you builders.

Gate was still open at 8:15 FWIW. Sign says 8.

May 11, 2018, 6:51 a.m.

Some great work on Fromme.  As noted by earlier posts it seems that Peter has been working on the climbing trail and some on Baden.  The parts that I have seen look and ride amazing.  Thank you !!!

On an slightly different note, did one other trail that ended up being a hike a bike out as this little know trail appears to have been decommissioned.  Lots of effort to move hundreds of branches across the trail.  Too bad, it was great fun.

May 11, 2018, 7:44 a.m.

Tons of new woodwork at bottom of boundary. Pretty cool

May 11, 2018, 10:37 a.m.

I saw in the NSMBA newsletter they had been working on Digger as well? Never ridden Digger or Boundary, will have to check em out. And yeah, BP from Expresso area back to Mtn Highway is soooo much better than a couple years ago, than you builders.

May 12, 2018, 5:31 p.m.

So, must be lots of melt water pouring down, are the trails inundated too?

May 15, 2018, 1:08 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

So, must be lots of melt water pouring down, are the trails inundated too?

No, very dry. Some areas are dusty already which is scary for May. I will say Bobsled on Saturday was running better than I've ever seen it, full rebuild top to bottom with perfect tacky dirt and fresh berms. Thank you builders.

June 7, 2018, 10:10 a.m.

Rode the climb trail for the first time - definitely nice to be riding singletrack up the mountain rather than the boring road. Only part of the climb that wasn't great was that first long section of D'yer Maker where the ground is totally covered in non-stop roots. Are there any plans to deal with that portion? Other than that the trail was great! Thanks to the builders.

June 7, 2018, 11:20 a.m.

I think they are going to work on it, they've (Old Man Pete? Others?) been focusing lower down the route to date. There's some very recent work on the last few sections of D'yer and lower on Ramble as well. I just push my bike up the root section as it's less energy than constantly getting on/off... but I'm not a strong climber.

Rode top of Executioner, Pipeline and Lower Expresso/Pennzoil last night. Upper trails running mint, lower Expresso good, Pennzoil getting pretty dusty/loose which is a shame as recent work is getting blown out. Must have been a bunch of recent work on Expresso as I didn't notice some of those doubles before. Hopefully it rains this weekend.