Cypress Trail Conditions Thread

Jan. 31, 2022, 11:43 a.m.

When I look at Trailforks it looks like BLT, which is shown as a climb trail goes much higher than needed. Would I just take it to the top and then cruise down the road to Meat Sweats, Jersey Shore, or Mystery DH? Or do you pop out near the 3rd switchback and then ride up the road the rest of the way?

In case you missed it, Mystery is being re-worked to be a climbing trail though I have no idea of timelines for when that will happen....

Jan. 31, 2022, 12:30 p.m.

It's either BLT or the road up, or a mix of both. BLT sucks because it's hard to find a rhythm but it's usually quiet. The road is nice for the constant mellow grade but can be busy with cars.

I don't know Cypress that well. My go-to lap is up BLT to the equipment yard, then down Blind Skier, Slippery Canoe, Pull Tab, Upper Tall Cans, Wutang. This is super fun on a trail bike, all great trails making good use of the natural terrain without much steep gnar or big stunts. Exactly my kind of riding. From Trailforks reports it looks like it's good to go from Slipper Canoe onwards. Blind Skier and the trails branching off of it are often snow-covered and/or mudpits until well into the season.

On my part I don't know the east side trails. I should go explore a bit more this year.

Jan. 31, 2022, 3:29 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

This is super fun on a trail bike, all great trails making good use of the natural terrain without much steep gnar or big stunts. Exactly my kind of riding. 

Thanks.  That's my kind of riding as well.  Even back in the early aughts when I was into riding stunts, the steep gnar on Cypress was a bit much.  I could ride Sex Girl cleanly (some of the time anyhow), but I think it was 5th horseman or one of those steep gnarly trails that was still well outside my comfort zone.  Tried it a couple of times - usually at the suggestion of others - and I'm pretty sure I walked as much as I rode.  Might have walked most of it :).   And I am much more cautious these days and have very little interest in pushing my boundaries. 

I'll check out that lap one of these days and I will probably give BLT a shot.

Jan. 31, 2022, 5:03 p.m.

I'll second Niels lap as being a great trail bike lap, a little pedally for a DH bike, have ridden it on a hardtail, it's good to go.

Feb. 1, 2022, 3:28 p.m.

The east side trails are rideable on a trail bike, but more enjoyable on a DH or at least enduro bike as they are rough/fast (or at least they can be ridden fast, they are not slow/janky). Not really a good way to climb up. I prefer riding up the road at Cypress because it's not as steep as BLT, easier to sit and spin, but during ski season it sucks because of the traffic.