2017 Squamish Trail Conditions Thread

Feb. 3, 2018, 10:17 p.m.

I rode up the climbing trail past Angry Midget and there was a little snow but not enough to prevent riding. 

(I went down Upper Half Nelson to Recycle so don't know what AM is like)

Weirdly, there was much more snow over on Fred's...had to walk the open sections

Feb. 6, 2018, 7:09 a.m.

Anyone heading up to Squamish should know that Mashiter at the top of Perth is now closed..... Cheema has fenced off his land (which being his land he has every right to do). I can't be arsed to type a thesis on Squamish development plans but I'd park above Quest, Alice Lake or at Republic Bicycles / Bean Around The World assuming he hasn't blocked access to Jacks, in which case there's Wonderland up or the Dump Trails to Alice Lake turn off. Yay....

Feb. 6, 2018, 9:13 a.m.

What's the back story on that land? I know that guy owns a good chunk of it... is it inevitably going to be developed eventually or is there some sort of possible plan to leave it undeveloped indefinitely? 

Which trails will eventually be lost - is it only those lower trails on the south side (Hueso, Gouranga, etc.)?

Feb. 6, 2018, 3:09 p.m.

Might try to get up there and ride some slabs if it's dry this weekend... I would plan to park at Alice Lake and pedal down Jacks to 50 Shades. I assume it will take them a while to get fences built on all access points.

I've only read a little on the backstory here, but it sounds like it's been a long time coming and Cheema family has been reasonable in allowing access for the past 20 years. Some of the comments on the Squamish Bike Facebook are scary, morons with no respect for private property.

Feb. 6, 2018, 7:10 p.m.

^True. Credit where it's due, there's not too many landowners around that allow a big network of world class / gnarly mtb trails on their land.

Also credit to SORCA and Bob Cheema for having a discussion last night and Mr Cheema stating that there will now be a gate in the fence allowing access, and access continued at other points.

Feb. 7, 2018, 8:55 a.m.

Any idea where the snowline is at?

Feb. 7, 2018, 3:40 p.m.

re. Cheema, I'm familiar with some of the plans, ~ 50% of the land and most of the (slab) trails are proposed to be preserved as park land dedicated to DOS. Ultimately it's private property though and they're within their rights to block it off if they decide that's in their best interests. DOS staff and council constantly shifting the population threshold goalposts for allowing development on that property would be beyond frustrating and I can't blame the Cheema's for getting fed up. Kudos to SORCA and Cheema's for hashing our an interim agreement.

Last edited by: FlipFantasia on Feb. 7, 2018, 3:41 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 7, 2018, 4:36 p.m.

Posted by: FlipFantasia

re. Cheema, I'm familiar with some of the plans, ~ 50% of the land and most of the (slab) trails are proposed to be preserved as park land dedicated to DOS. Ultimately it's private property though and they're within their rights to block it off if they decide that's in their best interests. DOS staff and council constantly shifting the population threshold goalposts for allowing development on that property would be beyond frustrating and I can't blame the Cheema's for getting fed up. Kudos to SORCA and Cheema's for hashing our an interim agreement.

WTF is the DOS' end game here? Incompetency or is there an agenda re: other developers in other areas of Squamish. I'm a citiot with no bone in this game other than visiting Squamish to ride but this just seems shortsighted by current council. 

Cheema's approach is smart, a wider swath of residents is now aware of this population requirement shift and will probably vote accordingly in the next election.

Feb. 9, 2018, 10:16 a.m.

who knows, but looks like they're digging in and giving cheema the double barrel middle finger....not sure this ends well for the trail access https://squamish.ca/yourgovernment/news/growth-management-policies-clarified/

Feb. 13, 2018, 11:48 a.m.

Alice Lake is running really damn good right now. Rode Rupert, Entrails/Room with a View/In n Out Burger and Credit Line yesterday afternoon, no mud/puddles at all except on Mashister road climb. Trails themselves were absolutely mint.

Parked at Perth and there was a dude with a clipboard standing near the gate talking to a rider, not sure what about. I saw printed notices on some cars with a blurb about "changing the goal posts", I assume re: population requirements for development of those lots.

March 19, 2018, 4:19 p.m.

Credit Line, Ruperts, Entrails, Room with a View, In-n-Out Burger all running super mint at the moment.

Also looks like there's a new trail in near Rigs in Zen? Pleasure Trail.

March 19, 2018, 6:53 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Credit Line, Ruperts, Entrails, Room with a View, In-n-Out Burger all running super mint at the moment.

Pleasure Trail is the same flavour of trail as Treasure Trail. It's fantastic.

March 22, 2018, 11:38 a.m.

Posted by: Cabana76

Posted by: grambo

Pleasure Trail is the same flavour of trail as Treasure Trail. It's fantastic.

Right on. Is it as rowdy as Treasure Trail? That's beyond my pay grade at the moment, more of a single black guy as far as Squamish goes.

April 3, 2018, 1:21 p.m.

Rode Half Nelson, Angry Midget and Somewhere Over There on Sunday afternoon. Everything running mint, couple soft spots at the top of Angry but pretty much mint. Heard it may have snowed a bit last night up high.

April 3, 2018, 9:58 p.m.

Continue in 2018 thread