2017 Squamish Trail Conditions Thread

Feb. 16, 2017, 8:37 a.m.

Was wondering what kind of damage the recent rain and warmth has done to the snow?

Feb. 16, 2017, 9:39 a.m.

Was wondering what kind of damage the recent rain and warmth has done to the snow?

It's probably done lots but I haven't heard of anything open yet. As of yesterday afternoon it looked like there was still a foot of snow on the bottom of half Nelson. The Alice slab trails will be the first to melt out but there's going to be a ton of water on the trails so probably best to stay off them. I'd head to the city/Bellingham. Bellingham was completely dry with 0 snow Monday.

Feb. 17, 2017, 3:23 a.m.

hey, not the correct thread, but the right crew. Any Squam riders using a gravel bike?

Feb. 17, 2017, 12:58 p.m.

hey, not the correct thread, but the right crew. Any Squam riders using a gravel bike?

yes, well a cross bike.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

April 28, 2017, 3:56 p.m.

How's Alice Lake running? I'm taking a buddy who's new to MTB up Sunday. Was planning on Four Lakes (last day for bikes) to Bob McIntosh to Rock n Roll to Man Boobs, back up to Robs/Cliffs Corners to Tracks to Leave of Abscence and back to car. If LoA is closed at the top then Rupert.

cheers

April 29, 2017, 7:10 a.m.

Everything running great. Lots of new dirt on Man Boobs. LOA good to go at the Rupert junction(bottom first rock feature).

May 2, 2017, 3:09 p.m.

Posted by: bikesandbarley

Everything running great. Lots of new dirt on Man Boobs. LOA good to go at the Rupert junction(bottom first rock feature).

Thanks. Man Boobs was awesome! Those berms just after the trail sign are so fun. We ended up skipping Rupert/LOA as my newbie friend had his hands full on Man Boobs. Did a couple laps of Robs/Cliffs, good practice for him and fun as hell for me. Couple puddles here and there but nothing of concern, biking season is here!

Last edited by: grambo on May 2, 2017, 3:09 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 9, 2017, 12:38 p.m.

Watching videos 'n shit of Squamish trails is there some kind of cognitive dissonance with grading difficulty 'cause Squamish blacks look Shore blue to me.

May 10, 2017, 11:23 a.m.

Trail grading is always going to be relative to the area. BC blue trails in general are often of a level that would be black in a lot of other places. Squamish has a lot less jank than the Shore, and consequently a lot more riders in full lycra and on XC bikes, so the grading probably represents that. 

Don't forget that videos always make things look less technical than they are though!

May 10, 2017, 12:31 p.m.

Posted by: delusional

Don't forget that videos always make things look less technical than they are though!

Oh yeah I totally get that 2 d flattening phenom! lol....

May 11, 2017, 3:08 p.m.

Which trails in Squamish are you referring to that are black but should be blue? I don't think there is much of a difference between the Shore & Squamish in terms of difficulty grading. Even on the Shore though I feel like the grading for individual trails isn't always accurate... like CBC & Boogieman I never have a problem with and those are both double black but I find C-buster a lot more challenging and that is single black.

May 11, 2017, 3:08 p.m.

Which trails in Squamish are you referring to that are black but should be blue? I don't think there is much of a difference between the Shore & Squamish in terms of difficulty grading. Even on the Shore though I feel like the grading for individual trails isn't always accurate... like CBC & Boogieman I never have a problem with and those are both double black but I find C-buster a lot more challenging and that is single black.

May 23, 2017, 2:15 p.m.

Saw a cougar along the fire road just before Dirk's around 1pm on Saturday. It was moving away from us (I'm sure it was aware of us long before). We cautiously walked the rest of the way into Dirk's and didn't see it again.

Alice Lake running mint. The new corners and buff-up on Credit Line is awesome.

May 26, 2017, 12:28 p.m.

I'm going to be headed into Squamish for the first time soon so I was looking at some good introduction rides that don't involve shuttling as it'll just be me. I'm intermediate, ride Fromme mostly with a little Seymour thrown in when I have the time and have a horrible climbing bike ( i.e. Dale's is a frigging nightmare for me but I can grind Fromme just fine).

Grambo - you mention "Bob McIntosh to Rock n Roll to Man Boobs, back up to Robs/Cliffs Corners to Tracks to Leave of Abscence and back to car." Would you be parking at the Alice Lake parking area and use the access trails from there?

I was also looking at parking near torbet and doing the Mashiter to Man Boobs/Ruperts/Rollercoaster route that's on trailforks.

Any other first timer suggestions?

May 26, 2017, 2:37 p.m.

We often park at the end of Perth Drive and do LumberJack > Jacks > 50 Shades > 50 Shades More > Rupert or LOA or (Hueso or Treasure if you want some tougher slab stuff) > Mashiter > Mad Hatter > Man Boobs > Bob McinTosh > 50 Shades More > Rupert or LOA > Mashiter > Roller Coaster.  You can skip out on some of the variations in this to make it shorter or easier.  All the trails I mentioned are blue, with a couple of blackish (Rupert) and black (Hueso and Treasure) with the 'hardest' climb being 50 Shades.  You can also start at Perth and just go straight up Mashiter to access Tracks from Hell and onto 50 Shades more > Rupert/LOA.  Have fun!