2017 Seymour Trail Conditions Thread

Feb. 23, 2017, 6:25 p.m.

Easiest is park at Old Buck Parking lot, or Parkgate Mall. Ride up Old Buck and turn left at the Powerlines. Climb till you get to Pingu. Ride Pingu then any of these trails: Pangor, Boogieman, Dear John/John Deer, Severed D, then return via Bridle Path to wherever you parked.

Feb. 23, 2017, 7:59 p.m.

Riding Seymour for the first time on Sunday. Can somebody recommend a couple hour ride on trails that should be clear/OK to ride wet? Just started looking at Trail Forks and I don't even know where to park at this point.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/mount-seymour/routes/

lots of routes to pick from, but a "couple hour ride" can mean very different things at various levels of riding.

the old buck climb to Pangor would be your shortest and easiest to find. (simply Old Buck, Baden Powell, Pangor, shown as part of skips route below). Under an hour if you're a strong climber.

or give skip's a try if you're adventurous - leave yourself lots of daylight to get turned around though!

https://www.trailforks.com/route/skips-seymour-intro/

March 11, 2017, 12:29 p.m.

Several trees down in bottom section of Pangor.

Thread killer

March 14, 2017, 2:51 p.m.

Anyone ridden Seymour in the past few days - any idea where the snow line is? All clear to the top of Corkscrew/Dales?

March 15, 2017, 7:58 a.m.

I rode from Hyannis on Mar 13. All clear of snow for Bridle up climbers to power lines down Severed- Cbuster and John Deer. Wet, slippery and great.

March 21, 2017, 10:15 p.m.

Rode Hyannis/GSM/John Deer back up to do Severed/Cbuster on Monday. All clear, very little really wet spots, just in the usual places. Had a blast

March 29, 2017, 11:36 a.m.

Hey, I'm Lukas from Germany and I'm in Vancouver until Monday (after that I'm in Whistler throughout the summer).

I got my bike with me and would love to check out the shore. I know it's been raining a lot but tomorrow and on Friday it should be better I guess.

I don't know how long the lower trails usually take to become ridable after such rain, but has anybody planned a ride (preferably starting from Vancouver) on the next days and would maybe show me some trails? :)

I guess Mt. Seymour would be a good start - how will the conditions probably be? Thanks in advance guys!!

March 29, 2017, 4:41 p.m.

Posted by: lubbenz

Hey, I'm Lukas from Germany and I'm in Vancouver until Monday (after that I'm in Whistler throughout the summer).

I got my bike with me and would love to check out the shore. I know it's been raining a lot but tomorrow and on Friday it should be better I guess.

I don't know how long the lower trails usually take to become ridable after such rain, but has anybody planned a ride (preferably starting from Vancouver) on the next days and would maybe show me some trails? :)

I guess Mt. Seymour would be a good start - how will the conditions probably be? Thanks in advance guys!!

You might want to note what kind of bike, trail / DH ... and your riding ability.  Would be easier to get a tour guide at your level whether it be beginner, intermediate or advanced in skill set.

March 29, 2017, 6:55 p.m.

I

Posted by: rideitall

Posted by: lubbenz

You might want to note what kind of bike, trail / DH ... and your riding ability. Would be easier to get a tour guide at your level whether it be beginner, intermediate or advanced in skill set.

Thank you very much for your reply. I brought my "Soft Freeride" / Super Enduro bike, a Canyon Torque with 170mm Lyrik and 180mm CCDB Air. I ride for about 7 years now and did a couple of Enduro races in Germany but just for fun and I would describe myself as intermediate rider. But cumulated uphills up to 1000-1500m shouldn't be a problem. Sorry for not including that info!

Anyways I'm a bit scared of Double Black Diamond trails or even Black Diamond in those wet conditions :D So ideally I would like to start with some more flowy stuff and not the classic signature narrow North Shore ladders, to get used to the terrain and maybe not hurt myself first ride haha!

(By the way I didn't really know where to post my question, I got a feeling that it's pretty wrong in this topic, maybe you can delete my posts after I found somebody to ride? And do you maybe have a recommendation where it's the easiest to find someone to go ride? A facebook group or something?)

Last edited by: lubbenz on March 29, 2017, 7:02 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
March 29, 2017, 8:43 p.m.

Lubbenz, if you hang out at the Old Buck parking lot at the bottom of Mt. Seymour this Saturday or Sunday there will be tons of people riding up or shuttling. It should be easy to tag along with someone or catch a ride up.

Thread killer

April 2, 2017, 9:47 a.m.

Hit TNT the other day and is clear of snow and running pretty good. The rest of the trails on Seymour are also running pretty well. Maybe a little standing water here and there after some of those massive dumps of rain. But a couple drier days seemed to sort that out. Or the trail fairies..

April 3, 2017, 1:50 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Several trees down in bottom section of Pangor.

Ran into that issue on the weekend (should have checked in advance). Is that section of trail closed now? Don't see any reports of it.

April 3, 2017, 8:57 p.m.

Lower section of Pangor is not closed, but because of the reroute available now to the right at the start of the rockfaces, it won't be getting much maintenance.  

That said, I know people like and ride both options, so the fallen trees were cut out today by NSMBA Trailcrew.

April 6, 2017, 10:19 a.m.

Excellent, thanks for all the hard work. The trail is running amazingly.

April 9, 2017, 5:35 p.m.

Had a nice ride today...decided to mix some old-school with new-school. Did upper/lower Dales, Forever After and Highschool. All in all, Lower Dales handed my ass to me (in the form of an OTB "oh crap" moment), but it was nice to get outside after being off the bike for a few weeks while my fork got rebuilt.

Thanks to all the trail-fairies - Seymour is running amazing even after the epic rain the past week.