2017 Fromme Trail Conditions Thread

April 24, 2017, 6:48 p.m.

Road to 7th is clear. Still lots of snow on the trail for the first bit. Lots of standing water especially on Leppard and on down. Cleared what I could.

April 27, 2017, 9:05 a.m.

Twice this week I saw the same kid on a mini-bike with orange fenders.

May 10, 2017, 11:18 a.m.

Was humbled by No Quarter last night, jeez it's a grind if you suck at climbing like I do.

Lower Expresso is open and is a blast, turn left at the bottom of Expresso and go along with BP for 50 feet to the entrance. I was just rolling through but the little gaps/doubles will be fun once up to speed.

7th is in great shape, only a few wet spots. Expresso is really punched out in a few sections.

Last edited by: grambo on May 10, 2017, 11:18 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 11, 2017, 3:46 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Was humbled by No Quarter last night, jeez it's a grind if you suck at climbing like I do.

Lower Expresso is open and is a blast, turn left at the bottom of Expresso and go along with BP for 50 feet to the entrance. I was just rolling through but the little gaps/doubles will be fun once up to speed.

7th is in great shape, only a few wet spots. Expresso is really punched out in a few sections.

I rode a similar lap the other day.  Some nice clean up on No Quarter.  I am able to clean all the tech bits, but need rest stops along the way to replace sections of my lungs.  The end bit up the skidder road is a tough as you are already tired then have to grunt up those soft bits.  My hats off to those that ride it all in one go with no stopping.  Would love to have the lung capacity to pull that off.

Expresso was good, yes a few rough spots, but that adds to the fun.  The Lower Expresso is damn fun.  I was almost past the big uphill hip before I realized what it was.  Wouldn't have mattered as I didn't have enough speed to gap onto the hip anyway.  The big rock with the ramps up/down is very nice and smooth.  Excellent use of terrain through the whole trail and very fun.  Great job by the builders.  Thank you !!!

May 12, 2017, 12:08 p.m.

How would you compare No Quarter to the Legacy Climb in Squamish (I'm guessing it's a lot harder...)?

May 17, 2017, 3:31 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

How would you compare No Quarter to the Legacy Climb in Squamish (I'm guessing it's a lot harder...)?

Technically way way harder. I don't remember anything on Legacy requiring me to get off the bike or put a foot down. Just a few rests here and there, whereas No Quarter I am off the bike constantly due to sucking at tech moves uphill.

May 17, 2017, 10:29 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Technically way way harder. I don't remember anything on Legacy requiring me to get off the bike or put a foot down. Just a few rests here and there, whereas No Quarter I am off the bike constantly due to sucking at tech moves uphill.

Would agree.  Effort level and time was similar for me on both (started at the university).  Legacy climb doesn't have anything technical, it just keeps going up and up with more and more switchbacks.  No Quarter climb feels much shorter but has a few technical climbing parts that require substantial efforts to clean.

May 21, 2017, 8:06 p.m.

Wow Lower Expresso is quick. A couple of those features came up really fast. Good times!

May 21, 2017, 9:35 p.m.

My first time on Lower Expresso today too, super fun!  I definitely came in hot on the first couple of features and hoped that there wasn't a big drop on the other side.  

It seemed really quiet up there this afternoon... saw/heard less than a handful of people.

May 21, 2017, 10:17 p.m.

The wife and I rode Lower Expresso today as well.  Amazing work!  Met an older gentelman walking near the end of the trail (as it exits onto Dempsey).  He said that his son had fallen off the last feature (on the right which was all taped off) yesterday and broken his neck.  I assume it was taped off because of this incident?  He had no ill will towards mountain bikers or mountain biking, was just interested to see the circumstances.  Apparently his son is OK in terms of being able to recover (will be in a halo for a few months), but no paralysis occured.  I wished he and his son and family all the best and we parted ways.  Healing vibes to whoever that rider was, and remember to keep it safe as you can out there.

May 23, 2017, 2:18 p.m.

Damn that sucks, hope the kid heals up quickly. Sobering reminder of what can happen even on features that don't look that intimidating. I was wondering why it was taped off when we passed by on Friday night.

I also noticed some trail work going in just above the bottom of Crinkum Crankum. Anyone know the story? Almost looked like a climb?

May 23, 2017, 7:50 p.m.

Damn that sucks, hope the kid heals up quickly. Sobering reminder of what can happen even on features that don't look that intimidating. I was wondering why it was taped off when we passed by on Friday night.

I also noticed some trail work going in just above the bottom of Crinkum Crankum. Anyone know the story? Almost looked like a climb?

It's an easy bypass of all the woodwork.

May 26, 2017, 4:07 p.m.

Some great new gold smoothing out some of the lower bits of For The Kids (lowest section of the climbing trail). On Dreamweaver some of the little reroutes just below the skid road that allow you to bypass that chunderfest are much appreciated. That lower section of Dreamweaver could use some fresh signage to keep things flowing better. Everything is running really well!

May 31, 2017, 2:52 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Some great new gold smoothing out some of the lower bits of For The Kids (lowest section of the climbing trail). On Dreamweaver some of the little reroutes just below the skid road that allow you to bypass that chunderfest are much appreciated. That lower section of Dreamweaver could use some fresh signage to keep things flowing better. Everything is running really well!

I get lost every time I ride Dreamweaver. Lower Expresso was a blast.

Last edited by: in_a_bath on May 31, 2017, 3:05 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 23, 2017, 11:29 a.m.

Is the parking lot open until 9pm now? Haven't been in a few weeks.