2017 Cypress Trail Conditions Thread

Dec. 18, 2017, 12:21 p.m.

All clear last week and looking out at them hills right now it look clear still.

Dec. 22, 2017, 9:01 p.m.

Snow at third switchback is too deep to ride anything at that level. Upper tall cans/roach clip rideable but have about 3 inches. Watch yourself near end of UTC as there’s a small tree blocking the second small jump before the first road. Hand saw will do it.

Jan. 19, 2018, 10:51 a.m.

sted by: AlanB

Construction of the Upper Mountain Path will soon impact Lower Tall Cans, Roach Hit, Brutus and Jump Line Exit. Brutus and Jump Line Exit will be hit hardest, becoming part of the paved path.

Expect flagging and warning gates to go up soon and clearing to start in January. For safety reasons, during active construction trail crossings will be blocked but they'll try to make them passable at the end of each work day.

Bump! It's January and clearing is starting.

Jump Line Exit will be temporarily closed and will reopen at a later date.

Jan. 19, 2018, 3:04 p.m.

Hey Alan, off topic slightly, but do you know the route of the Upper Mountain Path (how far up the mountain will it go or where will it end) and timeframes for when it is expected to be finished?

Jan. 19, 2018, 10:34 p.m.

I can probably chime in with some help on this. If you're riding down Roach Hit or Wutang, you will come across what appear to be new trail cuts (off the right) that seem to be diverting riders from the Brutus area (at least temporarily). The two exits merge just west and come out to Eagle Lake Rd just west. I'm just guessing, but it looks to me that those were cut to keep RH and Wutang open during construction. Just me guessing.

Ive walked the Upper Mountain Pathway while it was getting cut from NNL (we need that line back!) all the way to its exit on Eagle Lake. You can see a diagram of it here on page 16 and you'll see it goes as far as the clear cut where Lower Shoreplay was. The exit out of RH, while better than a closed trail, wont be very good on a bike that you'd hit RH on. Better than the alternative I guess.

I don't know when it will be "completed" but my understanding is that BPP is required to build the UMP first - and so it is. Its a path so I wouldn't expect construction to take long.

Last edited by: Ddean on Jan. 19, 2018, 10:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 20, 2018, 10:21 a.m.

Thanks for providing that link, Ddean. There's good info in the Rodgers Creek ADP pdf, especially page 23. It includes the vision for the route of the Upper Mountain Path. Plans may have changed since 2008, but here's what was envisioned then.

Mtn bikes won't be interested in riding the UMP, but hopefully it will be in Trailforks eventually. Jump Line Exit should be re-opened long before that happens.

Jan. 20, 2018, 6:28 p.m.

^that's page 16 as labeled

Rode the trails around the first SB today including the new exit to Wutang. There is a WAY better exit to Roach Hit than they’ve cut. It should come off of RH right before the swamp instead of after. 

Otherwise, slippery, Roach Clip and Hit, 5th and Wutang all running well today. The snow was building at the entrance to 5th quickly today!!

Jan. 20, 2018, 6:39 p.m.

Thats sobering reading. Looks like a mini whistler in the making with probably a 5th of the fun.

Today was awesome. Winter riding at its best.

Jan. 21, 2018, 6:35 p.m.

The good news is that mountain biking will be a key part of the recreational vibe at Cypress Village. It won't create the number of biking-related jobs I've been hoping for, but it still has great potential.

What style of trail would work well under the power lines? Something A-Line-ish?

March 31, 2018, 2:20 p.m.

Any updates on snow line? Was thinking about shuttling some DH on Monday on Meat Sweats area if it's clear and not soaked?

March 31, 2018, 5:46 p.m.

You're stuck in the past, man! There's a new thread for a new year.

Thread killer