2014 - Bottletop Trail Closed due to Seymour River Rockslide (merged)

Dec. 13, 2014, 9:31 p.m.

Bottletop Trail Closed until Further notice. Please respect the closure

http://bb.nsmb.com/showpost.php?p=2850749[HTML_REMOVED]postcount=182

_Originally Posted by MrBond View Post
Some hard facts about the Seymour River Rockslide:

In a 1 in 10 year flood event, the existing bridge at Twin Bridges would be under 4m of water. The bridge will be removed in the very near future. There are no short term (3-5 years)and probably no long term options for a new major crossing at this location.

The Fisherman's Trail will be decommissioned between Twin Bridges and Mystery Creek Trail. There are thousands of trees along the edge of the trail that are currently underwater, many are already falling down. All of these trees will die in the next two years and they will take most of Fisherman's Trail with them. Metro Vancouver is being proactive to decommission the trail for safety considerations (danger tree hazards).

In a 1 and 50 year flood event, the exit of the Bottletop trail would be under 4m of water. The Bottletop trail is closed indefinitely. Even though it has been signed, flagged, and taped off, people are removing the tape and riding it. Over 50 people rode it today. This trail is low on the list of Metro Vancouver's worries right now and if people continue to use it and cause frustration for Metro, they will decommission the entire trail immediately. If people stay off the trail, then there will be an opportunity to work with the NSMBA to reroute the bottom section of the trail to meet up with the Mystery Creek trail at Fisherman's. Bottom line: Don't ride Bottletop or we will loose it permanently.

The Ministry of Environment and Department of Fisheries and Oceans will be meeting with Metro as soon as possible to discuss that fact that fish will be knocking on the door in a few months and they have no where to go.

This is a shocking change to the landscape, and we have lost a critical connection across the Seymour river that has been there since 1908.

Link to my Facebook page to discuss, if you like that kind of thing._

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Dec. 14, 2014, 9:34 a.m.

Bottletop Trail Closed until Further notice. Please respect the closure
Bottom line: Don't ride Bottletop or we will loose it permanently.

This sums up the message.

Dec. 14, 2014, 9:49 a.m.

How about moving the cicuit 8 closure to the entrance of fishermans on circuit 8 that is the issue instead of blocking circuit 8 and thompsen trails which are unaffected by the slide.
??

Dec. 14, 2014, 4:36 p.m.

Dec. 15, 2014, 5:50 p.m.

Circuit 8 is open again

March 17, 2015, 11:05 p.m.

The Bottletop trail is closed indefinitely. Even though it has been signed, flagged, and taped off, people are removing the tape and riding it. Over 50 people rode it today.????

We provide guarantee to pass4sure ccna gmat with online exam Test-king ielts exam booking training itil and you can also get best quality Palm Beach Atlantic University mcat along with Northwestern University mcat for your guaranteed success.

March 18, 2015, 5:16 p.m.

The Bottletop trail is closed indefinitely. Even though it has been signed, flagged, and taped off, people are removing the tape and riding it. Over 50 people rode it today.????

The "today" in question was back in December.

I don't think most riders would relish any of the 3 ways out at the bottom, can't imagine it is getting ridden much at all now.

March 18, 2015, 9:33 p.m.

The "today" in question was back in December.

I don't think most riders would relish any of the 3 ways out at the bottom, can't imagine it is getting ridden much at all now.

spambot doesnt care.

Pastor of Muppets

March 19, 2015, 9:30 a.m.

spambot doesnt care.

Dammit, can't believe I fell for that!

March 22, 2015, 7:42 a.m.

Is this section going to remain closed for some time? Anyone know any thing new about it?

March 22, 2015, 8:22 a.m.

Nothing new, but its permanently closed as per the Metro press releases.

The old decommissioned road out of Bottletop is at significant risk of trees falling over onto it at anytime, and its a nasty hike out over ditches and downed trees and a big fence. Every significant rainfall erodes the roots even more.

For now, please stay safe and consider it out of bounds. There are many other trails to ride.

March 22, 2015, 9:40 a.m.

Nothing new, but its permanently closed as per the Metro press releases.

The old decommissioned road out of Bottletop is at significant risk of trees falling over onto it at anytime, and its a nasty hike out over ditches and downed trees and a big fence. Every significant rainfall erodes the roots even more.

For now, please stay safe and consider it out of bounds. There are many other trails to ride.

I figured as much, Just thought id check before heading down Neds today! Cheers!

July 15, 2015, 2:06 p.m.

Can't find very good info online but apparently a new pedestrian bridge is in the planning stages for 2017/2018.

http://blueridgeca.org/twin-bridges-update/

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Nov. 10, 2015, 10:13 p.m.

Can't find very good info online but apparently a new pedestrian bridge is in the planning stages for 2017/2018.

http://blueridgeca.org/twin-bridges-update/

Thanks for the info!

Couple months ago I met a runner on Bottle Top near Lizard Lake. She was coming up the trail so I asked her how did she do that. She said there's ways to get past the gates. So I decided last weekend to see for myself.
One way is to go over the gate, but you have to stand on the wooden fence which is slippery. And you need long legs.
Another is to go around the gate on the faint trail uphill from the road, made by other people. That's what I did, not too difficult. Dragging a bike with you would be harder. I didn't bring the bike.

Next issue is to find the bottom of BT. I knew where it should be, but it's no longer obvious. Was wet there and water running out, as if a creek. Found it after seeing the rock work. Otherwise BT is in good shape.
See here for map.

Higher up I could see more of the landslides below the trail. Made me think that being on the trail after wet weather was not the best time to be there, due to the potential for more slides. If you go, wait for after a long period of no rain.

As for meeting anyone else, no one else. If LSCR wanted to really keep you out, they would post guards at least during daylight hours. Furthermore, the proposed relocation of Fisherman's Trail (east side) is on the same slopes. So the slopes as they are now should be OK, even though the reason for closing this section of road and BT was supposed to be safety from possible slope failure. Maybe LSCR also wants to keep you from jumping in the new lake. Now that could be fatal.

Feb. 23, 2016, 4:33 p.m.

If you used your brain you would realise that the fence meant danger do not go here and that a nanny wasn't needed at the fence to make sure you used that brain.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?