Ya Hu Youth Enduro - Squamish trail check

May 13, 2018, 7:36 a.m.

For those familiar with Squamish trails. The Ya Hu Youth Enduro is coming up, and I'm going to register my son (6yr old). He is a decent rider for his age, and can manage HSL, Bobsled, Empress Bypass, King of the Shore, Circuit 8 and Roadside on the north shore.

We pre-rode part of the course yesterday: 3 Virgins, Graduate, Endo and 31 seconds. These went pretty well, but certainly pushed him a bit. Since I haven't ridden the rest of the trails, could someone provide some "color" as to what the other trails are like - or even compare to a north-shore trail? I don't want to take him on something too far out of his comfort zone and scare him off. Unfortunately, I won't have a chance to pre-ride these trails without him anytime soon, so I'm relying on the collective genius of the interweb.

Spencer's Big Gay Ride, Meet Yer Maker & Sweeter the Barry

Cheers,
Gord

May 13, 2018, 7:04 p.m.

Only you will know what your child's stamina is like in terms of how many stages you'd want to enter him in. I'd say that Sweeter (normally a climb trail) would be fun and pretty easy, Spencers is long and potentially tiring as it has some ups as well as downs but it's not technically hard (for a 45yr old....). I've not ridden all the way down Meet Yer Maker for years but it's a 'proper' trail. I'm welcome to be corrected but maybe 7th Secret type grade? IIRC a bit steeper though in places? Also factor in all the climbing......doing all those trails is a decent ride for an adult. Maybe do the first three stages?

May 14, 2018, 7:59 a.m.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the perspective!