Words to the wise: Ride with a buddy

Nov. 15, 2011, 2:42 p.m.

Having had the better part of a month+ to contemplate my own idiocy I thought I'd post it up here for hopefully one person to learn from.

As I have a somewhat unconventional working schedule I'm forced to do a lot of riding on my own. Mostly the Shore but with some Squamish rides, despite my advancing age I'm relatively new to MTBing coming from the road world.

A few weeks back I had a meeting midweek in the afternoon in Squamish in the late PM; great, that'll allow me to get a ride in in the late AM and have plenty of time to shower and eat in advance. I've done a fair bit of riding in Squamish this summer (mostly XC) so I thought I'd hit Half Nelson for a few rips, which I hadn't ridden since the late Spring. Hit the road in good time, got the mandatory coffee at Galileo, made my way up the road to the lot at the foot of Half Nelson. Beautiful fall day, cool but not cold, and the conditions are dry. In other words, perfect. Throw the Camelback on, and start the grind up the FSR to the trailhead.

Which is roughly where my memory ends.

I have vague memories after that. A frustrated ambulance attendant writing answers to the five questions I kept asking, over and over again, and putting the paper in my lap (think "Memento"). My wife appearing at Lions Gate, extremely concerned. Our friend Steve showing up for support (he's my usual riding buddy, and a critical care doctor to boot). A trip to the CAT scan to scan my head. Frustration and not remembering what happened, and at myself for worrying my family and kids. Damnit, I'm pushing 40 with three kids. What the hell was I doing?

What happened according to the people involved: I was found wandering Half Nelson in a daze (ironically by a couple of off-duty members of Squamish Search and Rescue). Martin and Katy walked me down to the foot of the trail, where I (wisely) decided I wasn't good to drive. Martin then kindly drove me in my truck to Corsa - apparently I suggested going there as I'm friends with Dave and Sandra. Typical, I crash and the first thing I want to do is go to a bike shop. Dave drove me to Squamish hospital, where they decided my brain was so fried I needed a CAT scan at Lions Gate (they have no unit up in Squamish, hence the ambulance ride). From there it was the trip down, the diagnosis that I got a good knock but no permanent damage (insert jokes here), and I was sent on my fuzzy-but-merry way to recover at home.

If I had to guess, my suspicion is that I hit the little whoops too hot. Not slow enough to ride over, and I lost control in the air.

The helmet? A Giro XAR (now replaced). You can see the cracks in the foam on the inside, as well as full dents on the side of the helmet. Definitely saved my skull.

Big thanks:
-Martin and Katy. Without them I might have been still be wandering the woods of Squamish, or even worse like an outtake from "Deliverance". I don't recall even seeing any cars in the lot when I left, so I'm lucky anyone was on the trail. Even luckier they were SAR.
-Dave and Sandra, who drove me to the hospital, held onto my bike, drove my truck back to the North Shore, and generally acted like family.
-The ever-patient ambulance attendants.
-The great medical team at Lions Gate.
-Steve, my buddy the doctor who was able to both comfort my wife and really explain what was going on.
-Jared from OGC, who was kind enough to help me replace my helmet ASAP.
-My wife and family. I owe them a debt of gratitude, for indulging this as well as even letting me ride again.

So learn from the mistakes of an old man. Ride with a buddy or at times when there's lots of people out there. Seems obvious, but we all take shortcuts to sneak rides in. Don't be me.

Nov. 15, 2011, 3:04 p.m.

To late, I wish someone would told me that when I was younger… wait a minute, they did… damn! I've done my fair share of stupid shit. Happy you're OK.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Nov. 15, 2011, 3:18 p.m.

Riding with a buddy is good, but minimum I do when going solo is let someone know the trails I plan to ride and an expected check in time. If I miss the check in, they know to contact SAR with my last known whereabouts/route.

it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun

Nov. 15, 2011, 3:21 p.m.

I generally prefer riding alone (Joe Loner) but I will do a better job of letting my wife and kids know where I'm going to be.

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 15, 2011, 3:23 p.m.

Glad to hear that it turned out okay in the end.

Since my wife and I ride in some remote places with no safety net, last year we got one of these.

Highly recommended for keeping the families happy while we are out having fun.

http://www.findmespot.ca/en/

Nov. 15, 2011, 4:31 p.m.

Thanks for sharing.

With the adventures and traveling I do sometimes alone, my family got me a Spot too. Even a solo hike or ride on the Shore, I can check in and let them and some local friends know where I am.

I have no filter …

Nov. 15, 2011, 4:49 p.m.

Agreed, been there, done that, lucky to have eventually walked away with just a shattered helmet in place of the missing memories. Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Suggestion to SPOT users (I have carried one since they day they hit the market) - play with it and try sending messages from time to time. You might be surprised how poorly it does when under heavy tree canopy. The newer units appear to have a bit better transmit power (and suck batteries correspondingly faster) but they are still pretty variable at getting a message out when you below the treeline. Same as with the reserve chute when flying, it's not a second chance, it's a LAST chance.

Cheers
KF

Nov. 15, 2011, 5:33 p.m.

Steve, Drew and i rode up on a guy passed out in the circle 8 trails one night. That was pretty f'ed up. Once he kind of came to, no one knew where he was, and he was all rambling. I think we ended up calling 911 and nssar to come get him.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Nov. 15, 2011, 6:08 p.m.

Glad to hear that it turned out okay in the end.

Since my wife and I ride in some remote places with no safety net, last year we got one of these.

Highly recommended for keeping the families happy while we are out having fun.

http://www.findmespot.ca/en/

Nice.. website is kinda confusing. Do you have to pay a yearly fee to use this? Or is that extra-fluff that one doesn't need?

Nov. 15, 2011, 6:22 p.m.

To the Spot users: I've been thinking about one for a while, particularly since my snowshoeing adventures often include my son on my back. The one thing that's been holding me back is some anecdotal comments from retail folks that Spot 911 "calls" are often prioritized lower for SAR, due to the units propensity for going off accidentally (apparently the SOS button is easy to hit). Anyone have experience?

Nov. 15, 2011, 7:27 p.m.

b/c of my schedule i ride a fair bit solo as well and when i do i almost never tell anybody the details of my ride. the're nothing wrong with riding solo, one just has to be smart about it; easier trails, less sketchy lines and stay within your comfort level. anything can happen on any trail, but if you're pushing close to your limit riding solo then eventually you're going to ask for trouble. if you're solo and still want something difficult then work on picking cleaner lines, being smoother and heaven forbid even try technical climbing which well help make you a better descender.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 15, 2011, 8:21 p.m.

Glad to hear your ok, i have had amnesia 4 times out of my 6 major concussions. Its a trip. I dont think 40 is too old, but i dont think riding alone way out there is a good idea with out some sort of back up.

Since you have family too i highly recommend accident insurance. It will put bread on the table while you are healing up.

Keep ripping.:D

Nov. 15, 2011, 10:06 p.m.

the're nothing wrong with riding solo, one just has to be smart about it; easier trails, less sketchy lines and stay within your comfort level. anything can happen on any trail, but if you're pushing close to your limit riding solo then eventually you're going to ask for trouble. if you're solo and still want something difficult then work on picking cleaner lines, being smoother and heaven forbid even try technical climbing which well help make you a better descender.

I used to agree with you, but a recent over the bars super slow speed crash in a flat corner straight on my head in the middle of nowhere has changed my mind. A long walk/slow ride out, 2 weeks of stiff spine and new helmet later, I'll be saving the solo missions for the trail building.

Nov. 15, 2011, 10:08 p.m.

I used to agree with you, but a recent over the bars super slow speed crash in a flat corner straight on my head in the middle of nowhere has changed my mind. A long walk/slow ride out, 2 weeks of stiff spine and new helmet later, I'll be saving the solo missions for the trail building.

yeah, but no-one loves me, so if i crash and crawl off the trail to die under a tree somewhere no-one will miss me.

maybe i should get a cat.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 16, 2011, 8:51 a.m.

Same for me. I had a wipe out on a section of trail that would never be a problem. Even the wipe out, I went over the bars but landed on my feet, should never have been an issue. It was I ripped my quads tendon completely off the knee cap. I was lucky I was within crawling distance to the end of the trail. From there I managed to get on my bike and coast back down Mtn Hwy. Not certain on what I would have done if I was stuck in the middle of the trail. I did have my cell phone but coverage is poor at best on the mountains.

To the OP hopefully everything comes back to you.