Woodro down with a broken neck

May 5, 2016, 4:12 p.m.

I don't know Mark personally, but highly appreciate the amount of work he's put into supporting our trails on the North Shore. The following was taken from Mark's facebook page; it's a good message that should be shared.

Get better soon Mark!

(Would be awesome if this could be a positive thread!)

I broke my neck, its true. I wanted to share details so we can all be aware that next little crash might be far more serious than you think…

Wasn’t a big crash - a quick over the bars, but finished with an awkward head plant. My shoulders and neck went numb for a half minute before returning. I knew right away the mechanism of injury wasn’t good. Luckily I was with someone. Vince: “You ok?” Me: “I don’t think so, I’m not sure I want to move”. I was lying on my back with my head stabilized by my camelback. After remaining motionless, waiting for the adrenaline to fade, I tried to move my head ever so slightly. I could literally feel the grinding of bones at the base of my skull. “Make the call Vinnie.” NVFD was there in 30 minutes to cart me out.
Fast forward two weeks later and my first check up is positive, the 3 fractures in my C1 are confirmed stable, pain is subsiding. I’m able to stand again and even starting to take short walks but I admit it has been an uncertain and distressing couple of weeks. Realistically, I'm not out of the woods yet but “You’re trending in the right direction”, recent assurances from the neuro surgeon (who thank God won't have to operate), “keep in mind this is a very serious injury and there’s lots of soft tissue damage that will take months to heal.” I’m grateful to be walking, knowing others haven’t been so lucky. I’ve had a lot of time to sit and think, staring at the ceiling. I wanted to share this as a reminder of the risks out there and to consider our duty to ourselves and others we’re riding with.

Please consider this: Get some first aid training-know how to stabilize a spinal injury. Understand mechanism of injury and make a responsible call in the field-suggesting to stand up and shake it off could be the biggest mistake you make. If you’re riding solo, put your cell in an accessible pocket – there’s no way I could have got my cell out of my camelback in my condition or without great risk. We love to ride, but something that can be so incredibly fun can turn very serious in a split second. Consider how you will be prepared when things go sideways because that day may come ready or not. Be ready.

A big thanks to the North Van Fire Department for a pro evac Marty Lazarski. I can’t thank the team at Lion’s Gate Hospital enough for your care Nikola Starko – I will never complain about MSP premiums again smile emoticon. PS-thanks for the morphine! Thank you to all of those in the Inner Circle for taking care of me, I’ve been helpless as a baby. Thank you to Vincent Beasse for keeping it level when it was needed. It’s going to be awhile before I’m out there again but I will be back.

May 5, 2016, 4:28 p.m.

Healing Vibes Mark!

I don't know Mark personally, but highly appreciate the amount of work he's put into supporting our trails on the North Shore. The following was taken from Mark's facebook page; it's a good message that should be shared.

Get better soon Mark!

(Would be awesome if this could be a positive thread!)

May 5, 2016, 4:33 p.m.

been there, done that, do NOT recommend it! Hope you heal strong and quickly, Mark…it's a long, tough road, but you're also a tough SOB! :)

May 5, 2016, 4:35 p.m.

woah, craziness. good to hear you're on the road to recovery Mark.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 5, 2016, 4:39 p.m.

Good message to spread. Best of luck in your recovery!

May 5, 2016, 6:02 p.m.

Mark's a super solid and confident rider so it is a good reminder that shit can happen to anyone if you fall wrong.

Great point on cellphone access.

Heal up Mark. I hope it's a quick and full recovery.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

May 5, 2016, 6:19 p.m.

Wow. Wishing Mark a full and speedy recovery. Hopefully others will take heed and benefit from his advice.

May 5, 2016, 6:53 p.m.

Sorry to hear that. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 5, 2016, 7:40 p.m.

Get healthy Mark!

"Constant rage: could people f*cking up all the time be to blame?" - The Onion

May 5, 2016, 8:04 p.m.

Get well mark , so sorry to hear this .

May 5, 2016, 8:10 p.m.

Get better soon! That's a terrible injury. Take the recovery easy too!

May 5, 2016, 8:17 p.m.

Thank you for sharing this. A good reminder for all of us. Heal up.

May 5, 2016, 8:17 p.m.

Healing vibes Mark

May 5, 2016, 9:04 p.m.

Wishing you a quick recovery Woodro. Ouch.
Atrophy may be the next big hurtle, and the hardest to overcome. When you get to that stage maybe ask the PT to get you going as early as possible.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

May 5, 2016, 9:14 p.m.

Healing vibes Mark! Thank you for sharing your story and helping us all be better.

The trails will be there when you're ready. You've empowered many.

DB@EB

Lessons, Rentals & Tours - since 2004

www.endlessbiking.com

Facebook Fan Page

Follow us on Twitter