Winter Riding Wear

Oct. 20, 2009, 10:36 a.m.

Hi. Just trying to decide whats most important for riding in winter. In the summer I only really had old short a a few different jerseys, but now the weathers getting colder and a lot wetter I need to get properley dressed for the coming season. It would also be really helpful if someone could recomend good riding shoes for flats. I have clipless pedals and shoes but I find myself dapping on the wet trails.

:england:

Oct. 20, 2009, 10:44 a.m.

gortex socks
5 10-s

your going to get wet deal with it

Oct. 20, 2009, 10:49 a.m.

There was a thread in gear about this already.

Merino wool base layers, breathable /waterproof jacket and pants.

Oct. 20, 2009, 11:51 a.m.

ya what they said! ha…

for me as rat said your gonna get wet but there are ways to deal with it.
5-10's are hands down the best for flats and walking around.

As for the weather.
Socks
Gortex socks are ssooooo worth it. MEC has em as a gortex shell. I also have the "sealskin" ones and they are softer and not as waterproof but thicker and warmer. I wear them with a regualar pair of sock on normal days but beef up for the snow days. Had em for about 12 years!

A decent jacket with zips in the pits is key. This allows the heat to flow when your sweaty and zip em up when your cold. Gortex to me is a waste as you body kicks out so much heat you sweat like a plastic bag even in gortex….and your gonna get wet so layer to deal with it. I do one jersey for normal days and 2 for cold.

As far as legs. spandex does have a role…not just the road! I like the bib/knicker length ones under my typical shorts. They give off warmth, cover your knees yet leave the rest to feel free. They also fit nicely under your knee pads.

For the super crap days…I have some army gortex pants. This keeps your butt from getting soaked in 3 seconds and keeps ya warm. But I only use these on the days of down pour….or snow.

hope it helps

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

Oct. 20, 2009, 12:15 p.m.

another vote for goretex socks, spare gloves for the dh if its pissing and a ziploc bag for keys,wallet,phone. dry clothes in the car too.

Oct. 20, 2009, 12:25 p.m.

I have some Sombrio waterproof riding pants that are amazing. I got them from Cove during a Sombrio year end clearout last year and they have been great for me.

5-10's are an essential part of my kit now - one of those things you don't think you could do without…

For colder days I like to wear a dryfit shirt (mines Nike but Under Armour works) under my jersey… I've heard that the UA stuff has silicone beads to help keep elbow pads in place which is a good idea - I ended up buying new elbow pads that don't slip around on me but I used to ride these little skate/roller-blade/bmx style elbow pad that would slip on my dryfit shirt and end up around my wrists which was annoying.

Don't for get to fasten a section of old inner tube between your fork crown and arch - it does a great job of stopping the mud from flying into your face… I've heard you can buy a neoprene version that velcros on and is easy to swap from bike to bike - anybody have any info on that?

Oct. 20, 2009, 12:30 p.m.

Don't for get to fasten a section of old inner tube between your fork crown and arch - it does a great job of stopping the mud from flying into your face… I've heard you can buy a neoprene version that velcros on and is easy to swap from bike to bike - anybody have any info on that?

oh you mean the guy we shot down a couple years back saying no one would spend money on something that you can make for free? I guess we were wrong.

http://www.rapidracerproducts.com/NeoGuard.htm

As for shoes, the new 5.10 Karver has a lace flap that should improve their wet weather performance

Or the Shimano AM40 with sitcky vibram soles (I have a 11.5 pair for sale, just added to sig:

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Oct. 20, 2009, 12:51 p.m.

Like most of the others have said…

5-10's
2 pairs of gloves (if climbing)
one long sleeve shirt as a thermal layer under the jacket that armour can fit over
one short sleeve jersey to fit over long sleeve if its cold
decent jacket with pit-zips

I usually just wear shorts, not pants. I find pants too restricitve to climb in. Plus, all the years playing soccer in the winter on the Wet Coast keep my legs from feeling cold. Armour keeps them warm on the way down.

Oct. 20, 2009, 1:41 p.m.

De Feet woolie boolie socks from MEC. Wool, easily the best socks I have ever tried for cold weather. They stay warm when wet. Gore tex socks are definitely also good but I only go that route if it's pissing.
Wearing pants over leg armour keeps the wet pants off your skin and the chew off the armour.
I bought some (now dicontinued apparently) MACE Cryogen gloves for the cold and they rule. It needs to be around Zero or they are too warm!
5- 10s FTW.

Oct. 20, 2009, 1:54 p.m.

actually this one is the most overlooked.

put a spare poly pro shirt and long undies in a ziplock bag and stuff it into the bottom of your pack. if you get injured in +1 pissing rain it can get serious.

Oct. 20, 2009, 2:11 p.m.

for the feet i go with a pair of poly pro socks under the merino wool socks. it can be cold and the shoes are absolutely soaked but my feet are still warm.

poly pro or merino wool shirt under fleece if it's really cold and then a lightweight waterproof shell.

i keep a couple space blankets in the bottom of my pack as well.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 20, 2009, 2:23 p.m.

didnt know you still ride bikes splinks.

riding tonight at 6:30

Oct. 20, 2009, 2:23 p.m.

It's weird to me that so many people are posting about socks! I don't think my feet have ever been cold on a ride - they get wet for sure, but when I get back to the truck I normally just strip off the 5-10's and socks and put on some flip-flops for the drive home. I guess I'm just hot-footed or something…

Oct. 20, 2009, 2:30 p.m.

actually this one is the most overlooked.

put a spare poly pro shirt and long undies in a ziplock bag and stuff it into the bottom of your pack. if you get injured in +1 pissing rain it can get serious.

Don't forget to shove a touqe into that spot, could save your life.

When it's a snow ride I use liners in my riding gloves. Simple polyester knitted gloves cost about a buck at the dollar store and work very well to keep the hands warm when they are wet

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

Oct. 20, 2009, 2:38 p.m.

didnt know you still ride bikes splinks.

riding tonight at 6:30

working tonight till 10.

i'm working 4 nights per week, my only chance to go night time is wed.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer