Why has Pink Starfish been decommissioned?

Aug. 26, 2016, 8:56 a.m.

Have you been to Bowen Island? Go find Dan's stash of high impossible skinnys.

where? ;)

Aug. 26, 2016, 6:47 p.m.

Trying to reason with her is like trying to explain evolution to some hard core religious nut. Trust me, NOTHING you say is going to convince her, you are just encouraging her. So stop wasting your time. Ignore her.

Yeah but other less batty people might believe her crap and might frequent this board.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Nov. 23, 2016, 2:48 p.m.

https://www.dnv.org/notices/pink-starfish-trail-fromme-mountain-has-been-permanently-closed

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016
We have closed Pink Starfish Trail on Fromme Mountain effective today, as the trail was environmentally unsustainable.

Trail deactivation and decommissioning will begin immediately, and work to restore the forest floor will continue through 2017.

Nov. 23, 2016, 2:57 p.m.

https://www.dnv.org/notices/pink-starfish-trail-fromme-mountain-has-been-permanently-closed

What was unsustainable with the trail? It was freaking great.

This is a Trump-ism. Do stuff then make up shit later to cover it up, then deny that later.

On we go, nothing to see here folks

Nov. 23, 2016, 3:03 p.m.

What was unsustainable with the trail? It was freaking great.

This is a Trump-ism. Do stuff then make up shit later to cover it up, then deny that later.

On we go, nothing to see here folks

Pink Starfish was slated for decommissioning in the 2007 Alpine Recreational Strategic Study plan. Its not even on the DNV Map in their latest Fromme Trail plan. Its not even on their map at the trailheads.

The DNV has been consistent. This should not be a surprise.

What's unfortunate is the NSMBA paying Pat to do all that work for nothing. Lets hope the new board is more fiscally responsible.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Nov. 23, 2016, 6:29 p.m.

One of the best trails on Fromme. Sorry to see it go. UOC, Starfish [HTML_REMOVED] Boundary was always a classic lap.

Thread killer

Nov. 23, 2016, 6:45 p.m.

Sad day, trails like that are why I moved here.

Nov. 23, 2016, 6:56 p.m.

"environmentally unsustainable"
What bullshit

Chainsmoker 8)

Nov. 23, 2016, 7:05 p.m.

"environmentally unsustainable"
What bullshit

Like Garbage.

Nov. 23, 2016, 7:17 p.m.

This news comes as no surprise to me. I knew when PS was part of no TAP plan, trail days or anything it was doomed. It is clear the new manta is "trails for all, trails with no risk" is actually the new mantra. PS offers too much risk, liability and possible litigation to allow. Sadly, and I recall, there is a memorial plaque to a rider just before the lower section rock face roll that is, in my opinion, one of the best. You could still do it, but have to hike up a skidder to do it, but the fact the line and trail is officially out upsets me. It clearly shows that the direction NSMBA has to take is to a more soft, safe trail mantra to placate the landowners (DNV) and in reality, NSMBA has little choice. But how hard did they try to keep it open, to show that the more "advanced" riding has a place so long as that the trail head clearly states it is an advanced trail. I don't recall any notice about the bottom half of old Executioner being cut out for the reroute of the last part of Bitches Brew. Just done. My real question, I guess, is where was the NSMBA (as the advocacy group for BIKERS) in any of this? Losing a trail of substantive meat is one thing, but if it was done "lying down" then what is the point of a biking group? For public face?

PS will not be the last. I have heard through the mist that Bookwus was discussed some years ago, and it would not surprise me, given the litigious nature of riding nowadays, that it goes a quiet death. Liability and all. Again, my question will be: how hard did anyone try to save it? Because once it is gone, it is gone for good.

Nov. 23, 2016, 7:27 p.m.

Like Garbage.

?

Chainsmoker 8)

Nov. 23, 2016, 9:38 p.m.

Very sad. Is there a report detailing the environmental concerns? If there's sufficient evidence to support the closure then so be it, but in the name of transparency that report should be available to the public.

Nov. 24, 2016, 7:27 a.m.

Very sad. Is there a report detailing the environmental concerns? If there's sufficient evidence to support the closure then so be it, but in the name of transparency that report should be available to the public.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download;jsessionid=DF1CFB4DC44493A0BD5871FC83E7E236?doi=10.1.1.692.8136[HTML_REMOVED]rep=rep1[HTML_REMOVED]type=pdf

(Sounds like a dodgy link but is fine)

Still seems weird that a trail like Jerry Rig which is a bit of a farce these days was deemed OK to be left open, but a trail with 'high level of use' should be closed with no clear reason.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 24, 2016, 8:42 a.m.

High level of use??? I am up in that area all the time and I rarely ever saw anyone ride it except me and my boys. As far as closing it because of the difficulty or danger, there are far more trails out there with higher difficulty and more consequence. I was riding it until the very end….the structures were relatively wide except for the boulder roll near the bottom.

I don't pretend to know much about the environmental reasons but it really doesn't look much different than many other trails that are still open.

I will defer to the NSMBA on this as I am sure they would rather keep it open if at all possible. Keep up the good work!

Nov. 24, 2016, 9:12 a.m.

One of the best trails on Fromme. Sorry to see it go. UOC, Starfish [HTML_REMOVED] Boundary was always a classic lap.

circus-starfish-groove was our standard punisher lap back in the bike breaking days. shame to see the trail go. checked it out this summer; definitely still had some neat potential. the big dirt topped bridge was totally new to me as well (was not there in the olden days).