Why has Pink Starfish been decommissioned?

Aug. 3, 2016, 1:56 p.m.

And yet, because of the variety of trails available to all skill levels, you can go for a two hour ride (even on a summer long weekend) and encounter less than a handful of people.

As a new rider this summer, I've been amazed at how well the trails absorb people.

Aug. 3, 2016, 3:40 p.m.

Def NOT Digger. Very old structure near the beginning of Starfish. Hasn't been there for years, it pretty much rotted away.

That's Digger near the bottom below St. Mary's. Still don't miss it.

Shed head!

Aug. 3, 2016, 3:56 p.m.

waits for KenN to reappear and admit he's wrong

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 4, 2016, 10:44 a.m.

And yet, because of the variety of trails available to all skill levels, you can go for a two hour ride (even on a summer long weekend) and encounter less than a handful of people.

As a new rider this summer, I've been amazed at how well the trails absorb people.

Ive found that long weekends are one of the best times to ride the shore if you stay in town. Seems most people leave town to ride in other locations. I rode on Saturday afternoon on Fromme and only saw a handful of people.

Aug. 4, 2016, 9:14 p.m.

Aside from Bobsled, Expresso, and sometimes 7th, I rarely see anyone once I'm on the trail.
I can't remember the last time I saw anyone else on Grannies, Bookwus, or Pink Starfish. I know they ride 'em, but it's not the potential Coechella that some make it out to be.

Aug. 5, 2016, 9:24 a.m.

Aside from Bobsled, Expresso, and sometimes 7th, I rarely see anyone once I'm on the trail.
I can't remember the last time I saw anyone else on Grannies, Bookwus, or Pink Starfish. I know they ride 'em, but it's not the potential Coechella that some make it out to be.

The gong show in the parking lot or the seeming line at the Expresso entrance might give that impression. Pedalling up No Quarter is a good way to avoid human traffic.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Aug. 5, 2016, 10:01 a.m.

The gong show in the parking lot or the seeming line at the Expresso entrance might give that impression. Pedalling up No Quarter is a good way to avoid human traffic.

^this^

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Aug. 5, 2016, noon

Don't ride during peak hours. Previous Sunday around 6 pm, only a hand full of cars in the lot, and didn't see anyone on my ride.

Aug. 5, 2016, 12:28 p.m.

I had a chat with one of a local trail guy this week and we had an idea: set up a series of trail days over the course of a year on say, Bookwus and Grannies with the intention would be to do a bit of tidying, cleaning up major erosion areas and restore some of the old continuity but otherwise leave the trail as is. Invite all the tech-gnar-lamenters from this thread and if any one of them attends less than 7/10 trail days he gets to shut up forever.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Aug. 5, 2016, 12:53 p.m.

I had a chat with one of a local trail guy this week and we had an idea: set up a series of trail days over the course of a year on say, Bookwus and Grannies with the intention would be to do a bit of tidying, cleaning up major erosion areas and restore some of the old continuity but otherwise leave the trail as is. Invite all the tech-gnar-lamenters from this thread and if any one of them attends less than 7/10 trail days he gets to shut up forever.

haha, I'd go for sure! But those trails are in mint condition so I'm not sure what purpose a trail day would accomplish ;)

Aug. 5, 2016, 4:50 p.m.

haha, I'd go for sure! But those trails are in mint condition so I'm not sure what purpose a trail day would accomplish ;)

you mean apart from ruining their old-school character?

it's pretty hard to work on those old-school trails without making them easier. doubly or triply or 10X so when it's a bunch of randoms on a trail day.

Aug. 5, 2016, 6:26 p.m.

The only good part of Expresso is the original entrance.

Thread killer

Aug. 6, 2016, 8:41 a.m.

The only good part of Expresso is the original entrance.

Wow. Pretty much insulting all the people who busted their butts off and volunteered all their time making that trail awesome for the masses. I see Digger out there working his mastery almost on the daily. Would you go up to his face and tell him his work sucks? No you probably wouldn't. Just hide behind a computer screen, with a fake name and spout off. Didn't your parents ever teach you that if you have nothing good to say then just don't say anything at all?

Aug. 6, 2016, 8:59 a.m.

Wow. Pretty much insulting all the people who busted their butts off and volunteered all their time making that trail awesome for the masses. I see Digger out there working his mastery almost on the daily. Would you go up to his face and tell him his work sucks? No you probably wouldn't. Just hide behind a computer screen, with a fake name and spout off. Didn't your parents ever teach you that if you have nothing good to say then just don't say anything at all?

Just not my style of riding, that's all. Chill out, The Don (if that's your real name)

Thread killer

Aug. 6, 2016, 9:09 a.m.

Just not my style of riding, that's all. Chill out, The Don (if that's your real name)

Haha! That is my name and you're still hiding behind a computer! There's some trails that I would prefer to ride over others, but it doesn't mean they suck. Who cares if you don't like it. Keep it to yourself