Why has Pink Starfish been decommissioned?

Aug. 2, 2016, 11:28 a.m.

Thanks for clarifying. "Closed" was the wrong term to use as I suspected some of the trails had just been naturally reclaimed by the forest due to lack of use/maintenance, but it's interesting to see just how many.

that's the point though, a lot of the trails you list have been lost simply due to lack of maintenance and/or lack of ridership. some of those trails were built by dangerous dan for a very select group of riders who could actually ride that stuff. i agree it's sad that some of the shores history is slipping away, but if harldy anybody can ride a trail then it's fate is pretty much sealed.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 2, 2016, 11:29 a.m.

That Boundary line does look sweet! Just need a time machine now.

And an old enough bike with a high BB so it doesn't high center!

Aug. 2, 2016, 11:43 a.m.

And an old enough bike with a high BB so it doesn't high center!

haha, yeah it's a sweet bike eh! That's my cousin on his 2001 Norco Launch. The photo was taken in 2015. The feature rides just fine on my low BB Devinci Spartan as well, but it doesn't look as cool when I ride it!

Aug. 2, 2016, 12:35 p.m.

some of those trails were built by dangerous dan for a very select group of riders who could actually ride that stuff.

One of those trails was illegally built and subsequently torn down. The NSMBA even warned of its illegality yet the builder continued anyway.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 2, 2016, 1:06 p.m.

One of those trails was illegally built and subsequently torn down. The NSMBA even warned of its illegality yet the builder continued anyway.

true, but not the ones on the list afair

edit - the funny thing is dreamweaver was built under the same circumstances yet it seems to be legit today.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 2, 2016, 2:22 p.m.

DangerousDave, a couple comments on your list of trails. Boundary still exists, and has seen some recent trailwork, although some of the fun wood features have been removed. I think you would have really enjoyed this one:

This looks like Digger to me.

Aug. 2, 2016, 2:24 p.m.

You would probably like this feature as well. I rode it about a month ago, so hopefully it's still there! I think it's near the bottom of Pink Starfish, or somewhere on Boundary. I usually ride those trails consecutively so I can't remember.

Starfish I believe.

Aug. 2, 2016, 3:08 p.m.

Hm I wonder if it's still there then. I rode Digger a few months ago and didn't see it but maybe (hopefully) I missed it.

Now I'm pretty sure this feature was on Boundary and was torn down recently as well:

Aug. 2, 2016, 3:15 p.m.

Def NOT Digger. Very old structure near the beginning of Starfish. Hasn't been there for years, it pretty much rotted away.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Aug. 2, 2016, 3:16 p.m.

Hm I wonder if it's still there then. I rode Digger a few months ago and didn't see it but maybe (hopefully) I missed it.

Now I'm pretty sure this feature was on Boundary and was torn down recently as well:

You missed it by a few years. I believe all of the Digger woodwork has been torn down.

That last photo is indeed Boundary.

Aug. 2, 2016, 6:32 p.m.

Slow and technical vs fast and flowy?
To me, variety is the key. It's about building multiple skill sets [HTML_REMOVED] keeping the riding interesting.

Saying that an easy trail can be made harder by applying speed is like telling someone who likes to ski double black diamonds, to go faster on blue cruisers.

Although I miss some of the old tech trails, I'm pretty happy with the current variety on the Shore. My fear is that the trend of transforming older classics into "all-inclusive" runways will create a beige environment.

FYI…it's not just the biking trails, but the some of the classic hiking/running trails are becoming sidewalks.

Aug. 2, 2016, 9:20 p.m.

Def NOT Digger. Very old structure near the beginning of Starfish. Hasn't been there for years, it pretty much rotted away.

Looks like Digger to me too. Check out MattJ's video, http://www.trailforks.com/video/36/. That stunt appears starting at 2:39.

Aug. 2, 2016, 10:06 p.m.

Looks like Digger to me too. Check out MattJ's video, http://www.trailforks.com/video/36/. That stunt appears starting at 2:39.

FFffuuuuuuuuuu what an epic trail.

Aug. 3, 2016, 11:17 a.m.

not sure if this has already been mentioned but I rode past starfish yesterday and there is a trail maintenance sign posted at the top.

Aug. 3, 2016, 1:15 p.m.

My 2 cents..You guys want a Flying Circus and Walk in the Clouds type trail on the shore? Back in the day there were maybe 20 guys?who were riding those trails and they were basically a secret.There was no Internet so word didn't get out. Nowadays with the sheer number of riders not to mention social media there would be hundreds of riders every weekend. Every yahoo who thinks they have skills would want to try them. NSR would be pulling riders out every weekend and the entire shore would be closed in a month.
The shore is like no other place on earth what with 100,000 people within 10 minutes and a million within 30 minutes (dependant on 2nd narrows of course). Add all the different user groups and land managers and we should be very lucky we have what we have. Ask any rider who is here on vaca from anywhere in the world if they have anything like this where they are from.
Don't get me wrong I loved those 2 trails…my kids rode them!