Why has Pink Starfish been decommissioned?

July 25, 2016, 8:39 a.m.

you sound like Lee.

Lee says he's not using alternate accounts. In this case I'll take him at his word.

With a huge 10 posts, the question remains of who's alternate account KTE is. Frankly, I don't care.

This whole thing is getting repetitive.

July 25, 2016, 10:10 a.m.

Wait. So the NSMBA cut a new line into your trail without bothering to tell you.? Then they took your tools? Did you talk to the directors and Mark Wood and they at least apologize? That's pretty head-scratching behaviour. When did they do this?

to keep it short, basically yes.

when this happened it had been a while since i'd done any significant work on the trail and agree there were some concerns but i was doing what i could with the little time i had and this included closing off anything that was broken. after sending them an email about flagging tape i had found and the missing tools i got a reply about their plans for the trail. previous to this the last time i'd spoke with the nsmba (over a year prior to the tools disappearing) they did not indicate they would be taking over the trail or making significant changes to it.

to be fair though, after contacting them about the flagging tape and tools they said they would help in setting up a meeting with the district so i could obtain the permit for the trail and this is something i appreciated.

also, i need to make an edit to that previous post as at the time it was the LSCR i had worked in conjunction with to get permission to build salvation and not the nsmba.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 26, 2016, 11:44 a.m.

Starfish update.

http://nsmba.ca/content/2016-07_26072016-%E2%80%93-pink-starfish-update

July 26, 2016, 12:42 p.m.

Starfish update.

thanks for the update.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 26, 2016, 4:28 p.m.

And I said this would happen.

The hard trails, those that push the boundaries and offer the greatest liability, will all be gone. Why have PS when the masses are used to the low impact, low risk Seventh, Espresso and Bobsled.
[HTML_REMOVED]…[HTML_REMOVED]

This is completely why the Shore is no more and simply a Lululemon playground without any real soul.

So what of the future.

What of building skill, character and trail development? Where is the new generation that is going to show why the Shore is the best? I bet with a bit of work you could find more core "Shore" trails on Mammoth, or most any other US bike park (including Whistler)

But what of the upcoming generation? Where is the challenge? Growth? Development? Pushing boundaries?

Blackfly, I get where you're coming from. You and I are a lot alike. We're both middle aged doomers. We both ride (or used to ride) a 45 or 50 pound Foes Fly circa 2003?? Are you still rockin the Monster T? Those bikes were enduro before there was enduro, just a mere 20 pounds or so heavier, but I digress. And we both like to complain, probably more for sport than anything, sometimes with a propensity for excessive verbosity. I, like you, had some fav TTFs or chunder gnar sections that I once quite liked, but sadly are no longer. I get you man. You and I are like two peas in a pod, lol.

In all fairness, you do have some valid points. BUT, where you and I completely differ is in your bleak post apocalyptic assessment of the future. I have a challenge for you. Go watch some Kidsworx events in 3 weeks and tell me the future is not bright. Not all those kids live in Whistler. Go to Fromme on a Sat or Sun morning and count how many 10 and under riders you see and tell me if you still think the North Shore has no future. Like Cam said, it may not be exactly the future you would have decreed if you were king, but not only is the future alive and well, it's never been brighter. While the past is busy complaining, the future is too busy riding their bikes to even notice, and ripping harder and faster and younger than ever. In our neighborhood, the kids are developing and progressing on the very same worthless good for nothing trails you singled out for scorn and derision-Bobsled, Espresso, 7th, etc, similar story on Seymour.

You say 7th Secret is too easy and not gnarcore enough? Well, try riding it on a 20" or 24". Or Bobsled for that matter. I'm just a no skill perma-noob, but no matter, last time I rode Boblsed at full speed, I couldn't stop grinning. You don't have to take a big turd on trails that aren't your favs to make your case. Everyone knows we'd love to keep some old shore tech as well as hopefully some new advanced options. Figuring out the best way to do that is not always easy.

Soon the future generation is going to be older and stronger and ready for more adventurous lines. Granted, the multitude of choices may not be as plentiful and abundant as in times of yore, or in the style you might prefer, but it's not like we're in Toronto (sorry no disrespect Torontonians), some barren flat wasteland with nary a mountain or hill of consequence to be seen. There are some legitimate concerns and issues, but it seems it's almost definitely not for lack of honest effort. It's pretty evident that a lot of good work is being done by a lot of good people, so I'll continue to support the NSMBA. It is true that the shore will never be quite what it was. Is this good, is it bad, is it the end of the world as know it? I don't know. Change is the only constant. The shore is dead! Long live the shore!

July 26, 2016, 8:24 p.m.

you sound like Lee.

No he sounds like a lot of us who ride,work on trails and have walked away from the NSMBA because of what it has become.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

July 26, 2016, 8:36 p.m.

Starfish update.

Nice one. Cheers Brian.

July 26, 2016, 10:22 p.m.

SO - I climbed up from Braemar this morning - farted around on my way up and found some pretty nice stuff….older, but easily tuned up and rideable. Nice gappers n stuff. IF you want to find the goods, theyre still there. BUt you gotta work for it, kinda like you had to work for it 20 years ago. no maps or nothing..just you and the hill. Get up there, for find it and quit your whining. I remember when I used to ride my BigHit for a lap from Osborne and Lonsdale. upper oil can. I was a beast.

and then I turned down and rode Boundary for shits n giggles. That trail's got soul…and it's maintained, and it's classic shore. And it's always there if you want to ride it. ANd you can even park your car at the bottom and climb up now instead of having to do that mini Fromme shuttle because you had to ride up from the gate…and blow me if im wrong but did NSMBA not work hard to get that climber put in? Whole side of the mountain has opened up to easier access with a wicked climb trail that gets worked by the masses. IF oyu can ride up that thing clean much respect.
So yea…things change. More lulu lemons are riding (although i really wonder if they are .. most lappers on fromme got pretty good skill sets I would think)- if you want to work a little for it, the skill trails are still there. You just got more options.

IM still bitter about other riding locales on the shore and how the politics blow, but I'm super satisfied with how things on Fromme are managed.

And fly - just for more shits n giggles - when was the last time you actually rode PS? - things been dead for a while. It was never really decommed as much as it sort of faded away….Chill…it may stil come back in all its glory. Things just move at a different pace when it comes Fromme than they did 20 years ago. It's called management. Thats a good thing. It means your trails will still be there 20 years from now.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

July 27, 2016, 8:25 a.m.

While the past is busy complaining, the future is too busy riding their bikes to even notice, and ripping harder and faster and younger than ever.

You nailed it bro. The old complainers will just fade away and will be overwhelmed by the huge wave of youngsters who are developing their skills on Bobsled, Floppy, Expresso, etc. Without those type of trails they would not be up there.

Im the proud pappy of a 9 year old ripper, many of who's friends also ride, and from where I sit the future has never been brighter or more sustainable.

July 27, 2016, 9:19 a.m.

But if its not rock and roll its not music!!!

I guess things evolve - so does the Shore. It would die if it didnt.

I think that the builders are a good barometer for this type of thing. They're off on their own building trails that are wider, fast and flowy and not the high-wire acts of the past (which Ive never even seen as Im new here).

Seems reasonable to me that those building the trails, within NSMBA and even 100% independent from them, are the ones who determine how The Shore will evolve. They're working hard to keep the awesomeness of the past alive - its different - but probably no less awesome.

You can still ride a bunch of crazy stuff too - its not like 5th Horseman, Sex Girl and Wild Cherry are gone.

July 27, 2016, 10:32 a.m.

Some really good posts here (Cam, P_D, and Dubprof). The points made about youth riding are spot on. Seemingly endless amounts of challenge to be had, and in more variety than the past. If you can't find things that challenge you on a bike, I think you're being stubborn or not looking hard enough.

July 27, 2016, 11:33 a.m.

I have many of the same concerns. But. It only makes sense that as ridership in the city grows that we expand and manage the trails that serve the most people (for now). When we have a solid base that can handle the traffic then we can get back to expanding the network with all kinds of different trails.

I still love riding the tech-gnar lines but I also like the blues and moderates and climbs. For now I think broad usability, climbing trails and good connectivity between trails and riding zones are more important. These things make up the foundation that we really need right now. The ultra-gnar for the most part is where it's always been, and not being ridden by the majority of people; it can wait - and if you really need it there is no shortage further up the S2S corridor.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 29, 2016, 11:25 a.m.

I hope that if there is concern over what's built we don't just abandon the trail. That's a sanctioned and legitimate way down the hill. If it has to be flattened out so be it, a trail that's not what you want is better than no trail at all.

July 29, 2016, 11:53 a.m.

I don't think that's the issue Bingo. I believe the Alpine Red study came to the conclusion that the alignment of the trail was too close to riparian zones - or something like that. I don't believe the issue was the style or content of the structures being built - but I haven't spoken to anyone about the justification for halting the building at this point. And I don't believe there was anything in the statement.

July 29, 2016, 12:18 p.m.

And I don't believe there was anything in the statement.

it was another incredibly vague statement.