Why do you like MTB-ing and why is it so special?

Nov. 17, 2013, 5:17 p.m.

it's not.

just another good sporting activity for certain seasons of the year. it's no better than backcountry skiing or even hiking/scrambling mountains that are not rideable.

Nov. 19, 2013, 10:10 a.m.

Yes it is special. How many hobbies/sports can transport you to and from work?

Nov. 19, 2013, 10:27 a.m.

it's not.

just another good sporting activity for certain seasons of the year. it's no better than backcountry skiing or even hiking/scrambling mountains that are not rideable.

mtb'ing, like any sport/activity/hobby, is what you make of it.

for me, while i've been fortunate enough to have had some amazing riding experiences, what has really made those memories great is the people i've been able to share them with. the rides that stick out in my mind the most are ones i've shared with other people.

so while i've done lots of different activities, mtb'ing memories are at the top of the list.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 19, 2013, 10:54 a.m.

It makes me sad that mountain biking dosnt really get me all that excited anymore. i wish I was stoked as I used to be.

lots of good times in the past but I think I just burned out on it from riding too much year round

Nov. 19, 2013, 1:08 p.m.

It makes me sad that mountain biking dosnt really get me all that excited anymore. i wish I was stoked as I used to be.

lots of good times in the past but I think I just burned out on it from riding too much year round

I think that's why I love winter so much, bike tends to go away sometime in November and pretty much doesn't get thought about for 3 months….I love riding a lot, I love not riding a lot too in the winter, because come spring I can't wait to get on my bike again.

Nov. 19, 2013, 1:29 p.m.

Zombie thread!

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 19, 2013, 2:16 p.m.

I just got back into riding this year.

Some things that I like about it:

- doesn't kill my whole day, still a good workout, still takes skill and concentration

- easy to pick up the bike and just go somewhere, anywhere, by myself, sometimes specifically by myself

- no lift ticket to pay for, I don't need snow tires, not absolutely condition dependent

- the dog can come too

- I like to think I'm somewhat decent at it

- everyone on the trail is so nice

My winter sport like many others here is skiing. Main advantage of skiing, no insects, cougars, bears etc. Front side cruising and lapping (lining up, meh) or back side earning (pow seeking calorie burning day) I love it all. But there's a certain level of preparation, weather and condition dependency though.

Nov. 19, 2013, 3:39 p.m.

Just got back from a ride just now.
Wasn't too keen on riding this AM(cold, windy), but a bluebird day. Got to the trailhead, chilly wind blowing, almost pulled the chute. Suited up and started to pedal with the expectation that it wasn't about which trails I rode today, but rather just riding to get some exercise and fresh air.

Well it turned out that after I started to pedal I really was into riding today, and likely had one of the better rides in recent weeks. Rode a new trail, explored some areas, had my toes go numb, thumbs froze as well, 2 wheel drifted so hard that when my front tire washed out I ended up hook sliding with my bike thru the corner for about 10ft, then popping up to my feet laughing as that was likely the best place to crash, ripping my hose off my Reverb in said crash, realizing that it wasn't my brake line, and since it was almost all downhill from there I could continue my ride without any issue.

Or to paraphrase Andy Irons, because I always feel like a better person afterwards.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 19, 2013, 4:14 p.m.

I like that I can just grab my bike and go - I can do a lap in under an hour from door to door of my house without any planning or I could spend the entire day out there climbing and exploring new trails.

When I get on my bike I'm free - I can ride, push or carry my bike to wherever I want to go - I don't need a shuttle, don't need a riding partner, don't need anything but my bike; then when I get tired, run out of water or the weather looks bad I can turn around and get home quickly.

When I start riding I forget about every other thing in my life - sometimes it takes 30 minutes of hammering up a climb to work out some aggression, other times the second I drop into a trail all of life's problems disappear completely.

Compared to my other favorite sport (snowboarding) I like that I can have a great time regardless of the conditions. I like that I can venture way out into the backcountry by myself on a bike and get the feeling of insignificance amongst the mountains without worrying about disappearing into a tree-well like in the winter.

Even though I'm set up for a great winter of snowboarding and hope to hit 80 days on the board this year, I can't help but feel a little sad that I'm saying goodbye to the bike for the next 4 or more months!

Nov. 20, 2013, 12:39 p.m.

Almost forgot to add:

I've been an avid motorcyclist for well over a decade, and will admit, like most guys my age at the time - I rode like an asshole. I was lucky to get away without loss of life or limb, some friends throughout the years hadn't been so fortunate. Naturally through the maturation process we progressed to track riding. It's nice to have medical staff on site and not worry about speeding tickets or worse.

Then mountain biking reared its beautiful head again.

Cheaper than riding track.
I don't have to pay for gas.

On the bicycle I can ride smooth, but with intensity, ride with respect, still get an adrenaline bump, all fun, no cops!

Nov. 23, 2013, 10:55 p.m.

mtb is special in the same way that special needs kids are special

Nov. 24, 2013, 10:34 a.m.

mtb is special in the same way that special needs kids are special

so then your mother knows all about it.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 29, 2013, 8:28 a.m.

It's the experiences. There are a lot of things I can do to stay healthy, but the experiences and relationships built keep me coming back.

Ever do a full pull climb up Eagle, locked in a religious debate w/ Syncro? Now that is an experience.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

Nov. 29, 2013, 10:04 a.m.

I would say it's somewhat special! This is why I think so…

Nov. 29, 2013, 10:47 p.m.

Hi Everyone! I find riding my mountain bike (especially on the shore) has ingrained itself into part of who I am. When I'm not riding my bike I'm usually thinking about riding. It's a form of obsession or mental addiction that if I didn't ride at all, might be filled with less savory habits. I often ride by myself and it puts me in a mental state that could best be described as a form of meditation. Especially technical riding. It forces you to focus on only one thing so intently that all other thoughts are shunted from your mind. I think most riders reach some state of meditation when they ride and perhaps aren't aware of it. Another key aspect of riding I love (perhaps a little less as I age) is the high you receive from overcoming an element of risk. Riding a difficult technical feature satisfies some primal need in me. Maybe it taps into some hunter/warrior deep part of my mind. after all, we have spent most of our existence just trying to survive. Overcoming physical danger while in a state of meditation……….sounds good doesn't it? Now add those with the more tangible benefits from riding your mountain bike like physical fitness, being in nature, creating memories, and spending time with friends and loved ones, and you have a recipe for wellness. Got to go ride!