Why do you like MTB-ing and why is it so special?

April 9, 2008, 8:34 a.m.

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I may incriminate myself.

Fixed.

Sorry Lee, it was too perfect.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

April 9, 2008, 11:46 a.m.

+1

April 9, 2008, 12:18 p.m.

For me it's the release I get from a hard day at work or any of life's stresses. A night ride or technical ride causes one to focus so much on the ride that you forget the other things that mattered a hour or so before the ride. I'll be driving home from a stressful day and start then and there to think about tonights ride.

The freedom of a bike is more personal than the freedom (?) of a car. Fewer rules dictate what you can do on a bike. I also love the satisfaction of building a wheel or overhauling a fork where you see the product of your work and immediately get to realize the results.

Another thing occurred to me last night on my swim..er ride. I tend to ride alone 99% of the time so I have no one to have to count on, no team mate to blame, it's all me. If I have a shitty ride, I am at fault. Unlike team sports where you often some person trying to be the super star, when you ride alone, that just doesn't exist, until of course you come upon another rider than you feel compelled to show off a bit. When I ride a section that is difficult and do it well the satisfaction I get is all mine. The competitiveness is still there but it's different than say a tennis match.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

April 9, 2008, 1:17 p.m.

its a relatively inexpensive, (well for some people it is) easily accessible form of recreation and exercise. Anyone can learn to ride a bike, from there its all about aquiring the mad skillz, the rush of adrenelin and having fun while getting in your cardio workout. I bike because I'm a speed/adrenelin junkie, nothing rocks me like mastering a new and challenging stunt.

i'm a has been, trying to be a never was on the comeback trail.

April 9, 2008, 1:21 p.m.

its a relatively inexpensive, (well for some people it is) easily accessible form of recreation and exercise. Anyone can learn to ride a bike, from there its all about aquiring the mad skillz, the rush of adrenelin and having fun while getting in your cardio workout. I bike because I'm a speed/adrenelin junkie, nothing rocks me like mastering a new and challenging stunt.

What are you comparing it to when you say "relatively"? Soccer only needs good shoes and a ball… here you need ballz and … let's not go there.

I think it is expensive but well worth it.

all investing is is a type of arbitrage, and thats not gambling. theres an element of risk and potential of profit involved, but those are broad and dont qualify somthing as gambling.

most Christians I know, myself included, would say that science is the way through which we learn about everything that God has created, but we learn at the pace which he sets for us.

April 9, 2008, 2:05 p.m.

What are you comparing it to when you say "relatively"? Soccer only needs good shoes and a ball… here you need ballz and … let's not go there.

I think it is expensive but well worth it.

uh the only other sport, hockey. (kidding)

for example yes soccer is relatively inexpensive if your throwing the kids out in the back yard with a ball to kick around, but if you want them to play on a team or league then you have to factor in uniforms, and league fees, transportation etc. (same in biking (i guess) if I want Mak to compete when she's old enough I'm gonna have to pay god knows her mother won't.) okay i stand corrected.

i'm a has been, trying to be a never was on the comeback trail.

April 9, 2008, 3:54 p.m.

It is special for me for other reasons then most would expect.

For me MTBing is special because just after high school I entered the darkest period of my life. The bike prevented me from going deeper into drugs and alcohol. It acted as my therapist and shrink.

It was the one place where everything going on in my head was silent.

The other reason it is special is because it was through mountain biking I met the woman who is now my wife and the mother of my daughter.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

April 9, 2008, 5:05 p.m.

i enjoy the excitement, scenery, the people and a lot of the other reasons that people list. but to be perferctly honest, i actually enjoy trailbuilding more than the riding. it's like the forest is my church and i worship at the altar of cedar.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 9, 2008, 5:16 p.m.

it's a different sport than just soccer or basketball. you get amazing scenery, big rush, and you can zone out so you're totally alone and shit

April 9, 2008, 8:02 p.m.

It's the closet I'll ever get to being a Jedi.

April 9, 2008, 8:48 p.m.

It's fun! I don't want to analyze why it is fun, that would just spoil it. It is just the best thing you can do your pants on.

April 9, 2008, 9:47 p.m.

its fun, it relieves my stress and whatever im thinkin about and i just love learnin new tricks and it keeps me away from doin stupid shit like drugs and gives me somethin to do when im bored pretty much sums it up

Nov. 17, 2013, 11:12 a.m.

pancakes

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 17, 2013, 11:54 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_aycC3vsAE

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

Nov. 17, 2013, 12:32 p.m.

pancakes

Belgian waffles.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk