Why do you like MTB-ing and why is it so special?

April 7, 2008, 6:48 p.m.

I might be writing an article on our favorite thing, mountain biking. One of my ideas was to write about why people should try mountain biking atleast once and what makes the sport so special and almost addictive. Why do you like it? The main topic of the magazine is summer, and they want me to have the Whistler Bike Park as the main idea. So explain why you mountain bike, and what is so great about the bike park. This may have been done before, but I'd like to read what you all have to say. Thanks.

http://www.whistlermountainbike.com
http://www.motionmtb.com/

April 8, 2008, 9:48 a.m.

Ever since the Empire Struck Back I have wanted to have a speeder bike. Mountain biking is a close second but I haven't found any Ewoks to blast yet.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

April 8, 2008, 10:04 a.m.

Ever since the Empire Struck Back I have wanted to have a speeder bike. Mountain biking is a close second but I haven't found any Ewoks to blast yet.

for some one with vader as their avatar you think you would know that ewoks were in return of the jedi…geeeze lol

to me BIKE=FREEDOM,since i was a little kid,now i'm just a bigger kid with bigger jumps and more scars.

BREAKIN HEARTS AND BREAKIN PARTS SINCE 76'

April 8, 2008, 10:09 a.m.

8" bike = 20cm powder day.

…but you don't have to rely on the weather for it.

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

April 8, 2008, 10:44 a.m.

cuz o al teh girlz!

(and LOLCATZ)

Seriously tho - freedom is a big part of it. Getting my mind out of my head (if that makes sense). When you are grunting up that last climb and all you can focus on is "must keep legs moving - must ignore burning lungs and thighs" its a great way to get perspective again.

Endorphins and Adrenalin make a great combination! Mix in some up close and personal with Mother Nature and things are rockin!

Also - I move with a different group of people when biking - its pretty cool all the people I have met with biking that I otherwise might not have.

I also like the kit - I like bikes, I like the tech and I like my gear (armour, gloves, helmet etc). I also appreciate the "human power" element of it all.

All in all - its a very cool sport with an almost unmatched combination of elements that equals loads of fun!

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

April 8, 2008, 10:52 a.m.

Oh the tears are welling up. It all started back in '87 when blah blah blah exhilarating blah blah blah stillness of nature blah blah blah with rider and bike working in concert blah blah blah meditation if you will blah blah blah that is still not lost on me today.

April 8, 2008, 10:59 a.m.

i just really like the aspect of learning a new trick, or cleaning a new skinny, and the feeling that comes with it. there is no better mood than the mood u get in after going through huge adrenaline on the skinny, and then being super stoked after cleaning it. when i find something more fun, i will go do that.

GeoffGangGang

April 8, 2008, 11:29 a.m.

It's all about the freedom, that and when I am on my bike, I don't have to deal with the constant bullshit from work.

April 8, 2008, 12:07 p.m.

it passes the time between ski seasons

and trail building is a great excuse to go get wasted in the woods

April 8, 2008, 12:11 p.m.

and trail building is a great excuse to go get wasted in the woods

:lol: Thanks for the tip!

April 8, 2008, 12:16 p.m.

Anger management. Hard to be angry if by the end of a long day of riding you are to tired to make a fist.

Master of Puppets

April 8, 2008, 12:43 p.m.

For me the main draw is the rush I feel after pulling off a drop/trick that I didn't think I was able to.

April 8, 2008, 12:50 p.m.

People like the hobbies/sports they do because they do. I think you'll find the exact same reasons for MTB as you will for golf or kayaking or Camping or lawn bowling.

One of these is not like the others.

April 8, 2008, 12:57 p.m.

People like the hobbies/sports they do because they do. I think you'll find the exact same reasons for MTB as you will for golf or kayaking or Camping or lawn bowling.

I'm not sure about that. I have found alot of community spirit that is unique to MTB. I dont know anything that celebrates trail maintenance and runs on the generosity and building talents of its communities memebers. We have to build it to ride it instead of just going to a sports arena or pool or something.
There is something really special about that and its great to be a part of.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

April 8, 2008, 1:05 p.m.

For me it's the release I get from a hard day at work or any of life's stresses. A night ride or technical ride causes one to focus so much on the ride that you forget the other things that mattered a hour or so before the ride. I'll be driving home from a stressful day and start then and there to think about tonights ride.

The freedom of a bike is more personal than the freedom (?) of a car. Fewer rules dictate what you can do on a bike. I also love the satisfaction of building a wheel or overhauling a fork where you see the product of your work and immediately get to realize the results.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.