Why Do Companies Use Unsanctioned Trails To Sell Product?

June 29, 2016, 11:55 a.m.

I'm not a Strava fan, but that's not the issue. Filmers and riders not respecting the builders is the main problem.

This is right, it's an etiquette issue, not Strava. Was it Strava's fault that a loamer got put in literally surrounded by some of the highest traffic trails on the Shore and didn't stay secret forever? The knee jerk Strava hate is just so played out.

June 29, 2016, 12:59 p.m.

I build a few trails in the sts

Translation: obsessively and compulsively built a number of the best trails in the STS.

Thanks for your hard work mate.

June 29, 2016, 10:01 p.m.

Because those trails are dope

:canada: - Flickr

June 30, 2016, 7:01 a.m.

As a trail builder, I fully expect whatever I build to get poached and ridden a lot, whether it is officially allowed or not. If you expect otherwise when you start building a trail, you will be disappointed.

June 30, 2016, 8:26 a.m.

I missed that Maxxis vid too. That's exactly how I don't ride Pipeline…. Rad stuff, and a great example of highlighting product on legit trails.

I was thinking the same thing.

Never seen anyone rip that trail with such ease. If I tried that at those speeds it would result in much of me being broken.

Great ridding for sure.

June 30, 2016, 5:49 p.m.

Because that's mostly what gets ridden and they look awesome on film is what I'd assume.

The modern north shore/lower mainland is the exception IME regarding the availability of legal trails. Most of the riding I've done over the last 23+ years has been on "unsanctioned" trails, not because I'm a badass, but because that's what's always been available around here.

June 30, 2016, 11:24 p.m.

the best is when people cut a one hit movie line that goes nowhere off an existing unsanctioned trail in a sensitive area. and more specifically, a line that if shot or filmed would be extremely obvious as to where it is. thanks guys. hope you earned some mad cash. the volunteers who built the trail are just stoked it's getting ridden and filmed. no worries if gets shut down. all the people who ride it and keep it on the DL don't mind.

July 8, 2016, 11:17 a.m.

Direct your hate at strava.

Hey when is trailforks gonna kill those strava cocks anyway? Theyve got the mapping and ridelog data to run their own leadrrboard. And local admins filter stuff that shouldnt be there. Id love to see strava fall

I'd say 90 to 95% of Strava content is roadie rides. Roadies don't use Trailforks, obviously… so doubt Strava considers trailforks serious competition.