Why are all the trails so clapped and dying

May 25, 2015, 9:11 p.m.

lol, you think this is only happening because of strava? like they haven't been an issue for many many years?

Exactly. The whole "let's blame strava for ruining our trails" argument is tired, weak and, even worse, polarizing and divisive. The decommissioning of unsanctioned trails started long before smartphones and gps - why blame it all on one portion of our riding community - many of which are positive contributors to the north shore riding scene?

May 25, 2015, 11:01 p.m.

Uh no.

If you just have an iphone or android in your pocket, without Strava on it (or without Strava turned on) it won't be added to any 'heatmap'.

Besides I'm fairly confident Strava has a copyright on the whole 'heatmap' idea as it pertains to cycling so any other company who wants to implement the same thing would likely have a fight on their hands.

So twitter away guilt free on all your favourite unsanctioned trails.

Well, I could be wrong on this, that is how someone explained it to me, but I don't know too much about the technology, don't really care either.

I am not blaming anything on Strava, or any other sort of device with a GPS in it, I am just stating that they now seem to be able to track where people are going with lots of detail now, so don't expect the secrets to remain secret for very long.

Keep On Ridin'!!

May 25, 2015, 11:03 p.m.

I thought heatmaps are a way that Strava can partially visualize activity that is deemed private?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 25, 2015, 11:06 p.m.

oh yeah!

There is a large trail day on Dales this saturday.

A chance to re-gold sections of the smooth lower bit. It might almost feel like a fresh bit of loam when done.

…..might be a carbon downhill frame given away too

9am at mushhroom lot

May 25, 2015, 11:08 p.m.

I thought heatmaps are a way that Strava can partially visualize activity that is deemed private?

So what you are saying is that your "private rides" show up on a non-private heatmap that Strava releases for everybody to see?

I guess that is what you get from a "free App", it's probably in the fine print, which is like reading the I-Tunes release form.

Again, I could be totally wrong on all this, I don't know how it works as I haven't used it before.

May 26, 2015, 6:35 a.m.

So what you are saying is that your "private rides" show up on a non-private heatmap that Strava releases for everybody to see?

I guess that is what you get from a "free App", it's probably in the fine print, which is like reading the I-Tunes release form.

Again, I could be totally wrong on all this, I don't know how it works as I haven't used it before.

Yes you are wrong.

From Strava's site: "The Labs Heatmap does not include private activities on Strava"

If you see a trail showing up on the heatmap, that means someone was logging their ride publicly on Strava when they rode that trail.

May 26, 2015, 8:03 a.m.

Yes you are wrong.

From Strava's site: "The Labs Heatmap does not include private activities on Strava"

If you see a trail showing up on the heatmap, that means someone was logging their ride publicly on Strava when they rode that trail.

OK thanks for that, Craw made me nervous with that one, I guess I misunderstood.

May 26, 2015, 8:05 a.m.

So the heatmap is just a generalized visualization of spots that are getting the most use? Makes sense.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 26, 2015, 9:11 a.m.

At the last NSMBA townhall it was said that the land managers are actively looking at Strava and that it is causing issues.

Anyone who thinks that using Strava on non-sanctioned trails does not have the potential to draw additional unwanted attention to those trails from the land managers is out to lunch.

I would hope everyone can have the self-restraint to avoid posting anything public on unsanctioned trails, and please, ask your friends to do the same if they are. Unless you want those trails to get shut down sooner or get punched out faster than they otherwise would.

It is quite discouraging when you see industry people doing this and setting a tone that it is acceptable and cool. I suppose when you view these trails as a disposable commodity and never actually do any work on them it makes a lot of sense.

May 26, 2015, 9:26 a.m.

MoF in Whistler and Squamish look at Strava to find new lines to decomission. But please carry on bros

Lee Lau

May 26, 2015, 10:03 a.m.

so the darkside is dead? RIP

May 26, 2015, 10:13 a.m.

MoF in Whistler and Squamish look at Strava to find new lines to decomission. But please carry on bros

oh yeah? what trails have they decommissioned in whistler lately? lol

May 26, 2015, 10:21 a.m.

oh yeah? what trails have they decommissioned in whistler lately? lol

. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

The internet is just like high school.

May 26, 2015, 10:35 a.m.

At the last NSMBA townhall it was said that the land managers are actively looking at Strava and that it is causing issues.

Anyone who thinks that using Strava on non-sanctioned trails does not have the potential to draw additional unwanted attention to those trails from the land managers is out to lunch.

I would hope everyone can have the self-restraint to avoid posting anything public on unsanctioned trails, and please, ask your friends to do the same if they are. Unless you want those trails to get shut down sooner or get punched out faster than they otherwise would.

It is quite discouraging when you see industry people doing this and setting a tone that it is acceptable and cool. I suppose when you view these trails as a disposable commodity and never actually do any work on them it makes a lot of sense.

^^^^
strongly agree…although some riders using unsanctioned trails assume they are well-known trails, they are still "secret" to the general riding population, since they are not listed on trailforks, trail guides, etc…
let's keep them somewhat secret, folks!

May 26, 2015, 11:02 a.m.

Problem is it's not just Strava now, you cell phone or GPS will have tracking on it, then they can create heat maps, so the more a trail gets used, the more obvious it becomes on the heat map. Just carrying a phone or GPS is a problem now (unless you take the battery out).

For this to happen, the land managers would have to obtain the tower based location data from the cell phone company (Rogers, Telus etc.) or more accurately, the actual GPS data from Google Maps or any other applications passively tracking location. This normally requires a court order as these companies do not like freely sharing such data. Highly unlikely this is happening… Strava heatmap is the issue.