Why are all the trails so clapped and dying

May 18, 2015, 9:19 p.m.

Rode the climbing trail on Fromme again today. I think I know where most of NSMBA efforts are being put at the moment. Nice work. I know a lot of people are interested in that. Would be super pumped if the next project on Fromme was a Black diamond stunt,drop,flow trail or double black diamond. Anyway, great job to those involed. Dream weaver is such a mixed bag right now. Spots of beautiful rhythm and total choas. Great loop

May 19, 2015, 10:21 a.m.

or let it degrade itself naturally. I guess this is what's happening.

Is that what's happening? Such a shame. I really enjoy riding CBC and then something like Pangor all the way to the bottom. CBC has the potential to be the crown jewel of the shore. It would be terrible to see it "die". No TAP sponsorship?

May 19, 2015, 10:36 a.m.

Is that what's happening? Such a shame. I really enjoy riding CBC and then something like Pangor all the way to the bottom. CBC has the potential to be the crown jewel of the shore. It would be terrible to see it "die". No TAP sponsorship?

NSMBA submitted plans to work on CBC; Metro did not approve them, so unfortunately there is no TAP for CBC at present.

Let Metro know that you think! Contact for Metro: [email protected]

Again, there's some info from the Town Hall meeting here: http://nsmba.ca/content/2015-04_2015-town-hall-meeting-april-15

Penny (NSMBA Secretary)

May 19, 2015, 11:09 a.m.

Again, there's some info from the Town Hall meeting here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byb...1lVXFPYnM/view

Penny (NSMBA Secretary)

Looks like that link is broken or private.

May 19, 2015, 12:32 p.m.

Looks like that link is broken or private.

Whoops, sorry. Try the link from here: http://nsmba.ca/content/2015-04_2015-town-hall-meeting-april-15

May 19, 2015, 1:39 p.m.

so metro won't entertain new trails until old trails are brought up to 'standard' but won't authorize work on old trails…….so what's the deal? those minutes don't really say anything, nor has anyone really covered why they won't authorize the work.

May 19, 2015, 1:41 p.m.

Penny (NSMBA Secretary)

Thank you for the minutes Penny!

May 19, 2015, 1:44 p.m.

)

Quoted for Flip and anyone else who believes land managers need to work for the publics interest. Let them know how you feel. (Politely)

May 19, 2015, 1:46 p.m.

so metro won't entertain new trails until old trails are brought up to 'standard' but won't authorize work on old trails…….so what's the deal? those minutes don't really say anything, nor has anyone really covered why they won't authorize the work.

An educated guess is that Metro will machine CBC just like they plan to machine Upper Dales and possibly TNT.

Dale's fate to become gentrified flow for the masses was sealed when it became the access for Forever After. Adios Dales. I'm sure the new Dulls will be popular and isn't that what its all about?

Lee Lau

May 19, 2015, 2:06 p.m.

NSMBA submitted plans to work on CBC; Metro did not approve them, so unfortunately there is no TAP for CBC at present.

Again, there's some info from the Town Hall meeting here: http://nsmba.ca/content/2015-04_2015-town-hall-meeting-april-15

Penny (NSMBA Secretary)

Thanks a lot Penny. I appreciate the info. I'm in the process of writing a polite letter to Metro.

May 19, 2015, 2:15 p.m.

Quoted for Flip and anyone else who believes land managers need to work for the publics interest. Let them know how you feel. (Politely)

Am into my third beer at present, but am going to send them an email this week.

A question if you do not mind, do they know about the role and position of The Shore, and trails like CBC on a global scale?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

May 19, 2015, 2:35 p.m.

This is what I emailed:

Hi

I hope you don't mind me contacting you in regard to mountain biking on Mount Seymour. I have been reading conflicting reports in regard to the CBC trail. Apparently the NSMBA submitted plans to Metro Vancouver for permission to work on CBC but were denied. This seems to conflict with the Metro Vancouver stance of not entertaining the prospect of the creation of new trails until “current trails are brought to a sustainable standard”. This also conflicts with another Metro Vancouver priority of a "a full connected route of CBC, TNT, Dale’s, Forever After".

A fully connected route of CBC, TNT, Dale's and Forever After would be amazing, but I'm wondering why trail work was not sanctioned on CBC?

Thanks and kind regards

May 19, 2015, 2:44 p.m.

Actually, the mantra of "bringing existing trails up to a sustainable standard" was driven by DNV, not MV.

Part of the confusion, and indeed, difficulty, with trails in this area is the plethora of land owners, managers and other interested parties.

CBC is on MV parks property (LSCR)
Most of Fromme and lower Seymour are DNV property
Higher up Seymour, and with a super irregular boundary, is BC parks (Mount Seymour Park).
Between Seymour and Fromme, large swathes are MV watershed.
And then there are a bunch of areas with private ownership.

Unless they've moved on to other employment, two of the LSCR employees are avid riders, active in ongoing maintenance activities.

There's more to it than meets the eye.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 19, 2015, 2:50 p.m.

Actually, the mantra of "bringing existing trails up to a sustainable standard" was driven by DNV, not MV.

Part of the confusion, and indeed, difficulty, with trails in this area is the plethora of land owners, managers and other interested parties.

CBC is on MV parks property (LSCR)
Most of Fromme and lower Seymour are DNV property
Higher up Seymour, and with a super irregular boundary, is BC parks (Mount Seymour Park).
Between Seymour and Fromme, large swathes are MV watershed.
And then there are a bunch of areas with private ownership.

Unless they've moved on to other employment, two of the LSCR employees are avid riders, active in ongoing maintenance activities.

There's more to it than meets the eye.

Sounds tricky, and quite similar to politics on a municipal level with all the difficulties one can imagine.

Still, there should be a solution, a way to get all the parties you mentioned into getting things done together, no?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

May 19, 2015, 6:22 p.m.

Let NSMBA make nice flow trails for the masses. If i need to fix some wood structure on DNV land then i will just do it. There is no by law for fixing trails so its not illegal to do so. Hell i can build trails on DNV land if I wish.The DNV can create shit loads of paper work that would eventualy end up in a fine if i get caught. so what!
Listen DNV. The trails and riders are here to stay so work with us or watch some crazy huge stunts show up like they did in the past.
listen the the mountain bike community and realize that we are stubborn and wont lay down for a bunch of policy makers that are too lazy to deal with the paper work and request we make to enjoy our sport.
The trails and the riders are here to stay.
Give us what we want or we will just ignore you and do what we want any ways.
NSMBA is doing a great job.
The DNV is letting us all down. Yes i will be E mailing them with a polite message.
Did I mention that NSMBA is doing a great job?
The gnar trails are empty. Expresso and Bob sled get the majority of the traffic. Perfect!
As for Seymore. I cant stand shuttle trails. Punched out and armored. Yep take a machine in and plow them shuttle trails into perfect flowy roads…….i mean trails.

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!