Why are all the trails so clapped and dying

May 11, 2015, 10:29 p.m.

I believe the answer to your second question is with more people pedalling up + less people shuttling = less people are riding Ned's.

To your first question. My understanding is that Metro Van cut out all the wood work (they also shut down After Taste). With the utmost respect to people suffering with mental illness it would seem Metro Van's behaviour/attitude towards mountain bikers is best described as bi-polar/ schizophrenic (too much turn over? don't really seem to answer to anyone?) but that aside it may be that the Ned's wood work was just dead/dangerous.

Someone at the NSMBA could probably best answer re. Relationship with Metro Van and condition of Ned's.

LSCR is so assbackwards on their approach to mountain biking that it drives me batshit crazy….there's a whole fucking mountain out there and theyre all worried about a few stinkweed swamps and shit like that…seymour could be a total kick ass playground for MTBers but politcal BS correctness has seen that nothing good will ever come from mega DH runs on seymour…im for one am a bitter SOB when it comes to how the 2-facers run that mountain.

and the bit about "Until the trails have been brought up to a sustainable standard" is such a misguided pile of you know what - their standards are not guided by anyone but themselves…ie if they dont like it its toast.
Seymour could be a destination mountain….but for now it's more of something the locals put up with. Tourism to the shore is dead. Head to squamish or whistle/pembie for the real goods.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

May 11, 2015, 10:33 p.m.

So their goal is a "full connected route" that includes CBC but they did not grant NSMBA a permit to work on CBC? Makes sense.

May 11, 2015, 10:58 p.m.

Haha, I sometimes feel like I'm the only person that likes CBC!

I wouldn't bet the over on that line.

May 11, 2015, 11:10 p.m.

You should definitely take him for a hike to see flying circus. A seminal piece of shore history. I took my kid in to see it and it blew his mind. Enough stuff left to impress anyone.

where exactly is the flying circus? can't find it on any maps.

May 12, 2015, 6:51 a.m.

where exactly is the flying circus? can't find it on any maps.

38 on this old map:

http://nsmba.ca/sites/default/files/PDFs/MapOfFromme.pdf

May 12, 2015, 7:45 a.m.

LSCR is so assbackwards on their approach to mountain biking that it drives me batshit crazy….there's a whole fucking mountain out there and theyre all worried about a few stinkweed swamps and shit like that…seymour could be a total kick ass playground for MTBers but politcal BS correctness has seen that nothing good will ever come from mega DH runs on seymour…im for one am a bitter SOB when it comes to how the 2-facers run that mountain.

and the bit about "Until the trails have been brought up to a sustainable standard" is such a misguided pile of you know what - their standards are not guided by anyone but themselves…ie if they dont like it its toast.
Seymour could be a destination mountain….but for now it's more of something the locals put up with. Tourism to the shore is dead. Head to squamish or whistle/pembie for the real goods.

I don't claim to understand what's going on with the city with respect to trails. But bike tourists not even stopping to ride the shore is a real thing. I mean, why would they? Very few people from other places have the bikes or skills to ride the shore but the trails in Squamish or the bike park are very accessible.

It seems like Squamish, Whistler and Pemberton embrace mountain biking as a positive economic driver. Why doesn't Van get that?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 12, 2015, 9:59 a.m.

It seems like Squamish, Whistler and Pemberton embrace mountain biking as a positive economic driver. Why doesn't Van get that?

Grouse Grind, Grouse mtn, Deep Cove, Seawall, Aquarium, three ski hills, Lonsdale Q, Stanley Park, two suspension bridges, Granville, Granville Island, Steveston, White Rock beaches, scuba in West Van, several golf courses….

I guess when you've got lots more to choose from, resources get spread more.

May 12, 2015, 10:40 a.m.

Why doesn't Van get that?

If you go back to the Rachid/NSMBA post you will see that the DNV is committing $100,000 to the NSMBA -- presumably for trail work on the lands they manage. That's amazing.

I don't know how much of the credit for that funding goes to ground work that Matt Bond laid previously and the current board carried forward, or to the residents of the DNV for electing the consummate gentleman, Matt Bond, to council but in either case it is an amazing evolution from a few years back.

That is of course the crux of the issue. Compared to Whistler/Squamish/Pemby getting the DNV to come around is just one part of the equation… Now on to the other land managers: British Properties, West Van, BC Parks, Metro Van/LSCR, CMHC, Grouse Mtn… Who did I miss?

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

May 12, 2015, 12:24 p.m.

Are there any of the extreme trails (Boundary, Air Supply, Flying Circus, Pink Starfish, Jerry Rig, etc) that one should not / would be very difficult to walk up?

May 12, 2015, 1:11 p.m.

If you go back to the Rachid/NSMBA post you will see that the DNV is committing $100,000 to the NSMBA -- presumably for trail work on the lands they manage. That's amazing.

I don't know how much of the credit for that funding goes to ground work that Matt Bond laid previously and the current board carried forward, or to the residents of the DNV for electing the consummate gentleman, Matt Bond, to council but in either case it is an amazing evolution from a few years back.

That is of course the crux of the issue. Compared to Whistler/Squamish/Pemby getting the DNV to come around is just one part of the equation… Now on to the other land managers: British Properties, West Van, BC Parks, Metro Van/LSCR, CMHC, Grouse Mtn… Who did I miss?

All good points. How much do Squamish and Whistler kick in for trails?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 12, 2015, 1:41 p.m.

All good points. How much do Squamish and Whistler kick in for trails?

re. Whistler…the RMOW has a trail crew that builds/maintains multi-use trails in municipal parks (lost lake, emerald forest, RRTI, Interpretive forest), they're also kicking down over 200g's a year on the sproatt project. WORCA receives a 20,000 community enrichment grant that's split between trail maintenance and the youth program, plus fund raises and uses membership fees to support work on valley trails.

May 12, 2015, 2:34 p.m.

Are there any of the extreme trails (Boundary, Air Supply, Flying Circus, Pink Starfish, Jerry Rig, etc) that one should not / would be very difficult to walk up?

I've walked up and down boundary and flying circus, you should have no problem with those.

May 12, 2015, 2:48 p.m.

"CBC [HTML_REMOVED] Cambodia: NSMBA submitted plans to Metro for both, not permitted to work on either"
Why would an organization such as NSMBA be denied working on a trail like CBC? (I'm in the camp that likes that trail a lot)

"Dale's: Metro has identified as a priority. Goal: a full connected route of CBC, TNT, Dale’s, Forever After"
Sweet.

May 12, 2015, 3:15 p.m.

"CBC [HTML_REMOVED] Cambodia: NSMBA submitted plans to Metro for both, not permitted to work on either"
Why would an organization such as NSMBA be denied working on a trail like CBC? (I'm in the camp that likes that trail a lot)

"Dale's: Metro has identified as a priority. Goal: a full connected route of CBC, TNT, Dale’s, Forever After"
Sweet.

Isn't that mostly there ? besides the lack of bridge over the creek on cabin trail ?

May 12, 2015, 4:18 p.m.

If Metro Vancouver isn't happy with the work that has been done on their trails and they want to do the work themselves that's their prerogative.

If they want to use real professionals and have the money then it can only be a good thing can't it?

Most of the trails are in great shape, I'm not sure what this OP is complaining about. There is still plenty of diversity and lots of people doing lots of great things on the trails.