Why are all the trails so clapped and dying

May 11, 2015, 1:52 p.m.

Ive been riding the Shore since the 80s but very sporadically. It hasn't been until the last few years with all the new trail work that Ive gotten more into it. I also have a 7 year old son who loves High School, Bobsled, etc. I find the amount of volunteer work that goes into the trails these days is amazing, and it is inevitable that the vast majority of that work is going to go into trails that me and my son and the vast majority will use. The old gnar trails are just not used enough to justify it. The only way I can see those trails being maintained is if its done by the small group of people who still use them. Or…the whole thing gets commercialized like Whistler Bike Park. ;)

Anyways, my question is, what is the gnarliest trail that's still in decent condition on Fromme and Seymour? I'd love to take my little guy on a hike to show him some of that craziness.

Unless anything has changed in the last year or so, Flying Circus is well worth a hike.

Or if you don't want to go so high, Jerry Rig is pretty ridiculous too.

treezz
wow you are a ass

May 11, 2015, 2:32 p.m.

Well, sorry everyone, but Team Robot has weighed in on the issue and The Shore sucks. He even specifically calls out Cam and Pete to tell them how much the shore sucks.

I, for one, support this message. The Shore is an awful, terrible, unfun place to ride a bicycle. Please for the love of god, if you're thinking of taking a bike vacation here, remember how horrendously awful it is. Don't come here.

Ride, don't slide.

May 11, 2015, 2:39 p.m.

the ridiculator is like, totally ridiculous. i had attempted everything on that trail (and ticked off most stunts) UNTIL dan built that monstrosity. i should get in there [HTML_REMOVED] grab some snaps before it's all gone. memories…

May 11, 2015, 3:04 p.m.

This year we've taken on (short list, more details at www.nsmba.ca):

Lower Ladies
Bobsled
Boogieman
Dale's
Corkscrew
Dempsey
Digger
Dreamweaver
Expresso
Floppy Bunny
Forever After
King of the Shore
Kirkford
Leppard
Lower Oilcan
Pangor
Pennzoil
Pingu
Richard Juryn Trail
Severed Dick
Sticks [HTML_REMOVED] Stones
The Skull
TNT
High School League Trail
Ladies Only
Upper Griffen
Sections of the Baden Powell

Thank you for weighing in/keeping everyone informed Rachid/NSMBA.

Would Pipeline, Boundary, and Lower Crippler also be on that list? My understanding is that each of those trails also has a dedicated trail adopter/gnome working on it?

Cheers,

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

May 11, 2015, 3:08 p.m.

Anyways, my question is, what is the gnarliest trail that's still in decent condition on Fromme and Seymour? I'd love to take my little guy on a hike to show him some of that craziness.

Take a walk down Bookwus then Digger or Boundary.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 11, 2015, 3:26 p.m.

Would Pipeline, Boundary, and Lower Crippler also be on that list? My understanding is that each of those trails also has a dedicated trail adopter/gnome working on it?

Cheers,

All these trails also have separate maintenance gnomes/trailfairies

Fromme

- Squeaky Elbow
- Pipeline
- Executioner
- Upper and Lower Crippler

Seymour

- Upper and Lower CBuster
- Shorn Scrotum
- RidgeRunner
- Asian Adonis
- Greenland

Cypress

- All the trails

Lee Lau

May 11, 2015, 4:33 p.m.

Well, sorry everyone, but Team Robot has weighed in on the issue and The Shore sucks. He even specifically calls out Cam and Pete to tell them how much the shore sucks.

I, for one, support this message. The Shore is an awful, terrible, unfun place to ride a bicycle. Please for the love of god, if you're thinking of taking a bike vacation here, remember how horrendously awful it is. Don't come here.

To be fair - looks like he went down CBC. So if that's his frame of reference, kind of hard to disagree with him.

http://theteamrobot.blogspot.com/2015/05/humility.html

May 11, 2015, 5:19 p.m.

Unless anything has changed in the last year or so, Flying Circus is well worth a hike.

Or if you don't want to go so high, Jerry Rig is pretty ridiculous too.

The Tower of Contemplation has a huge hemlock over it, and I doubt anyone has ridden Circus lately. Try finding Walk in the Clouds. We used to do the first stunts as a warmup to Squeaky Elbow, but like most of the ridiculous trails, nature is reclaiming them. Jerry Rig and Circus were built as almost one-off trails mostly for the most extreme to get into film. Kind of like the few drops here and there along the Baden Powell that were made for film only, and now the "wow" is over, they are becoming forgotten. I pushed up Jerry Rig a while ago, and it is a shame that so much effort went into the constructions only to let them go to waste, really.

May 11, 2015, 5:23 p.m.

Cheers,

What about Ned's? I rode down it for the first time in 6 months (I don't shuttle Seymour so I don't get to see as much of it as I would like) and almost all of the wooden work is gone, especially at the end. The logride to drop is gone, as is the smaller drop to its left. Is this intentional? I was shocked that all of the woodwork is mostly gone, and it looks like fewer are riding Neds. Is it me?

May 11, 2015, 6:02 p.m.

What about Ned's? I rode down it for the first time in 6 months (I don't shuttle Seymour so I don't get to see as much of it as I would like) and almost all of the wooden work is gone, especially at the end. The logride to drop is gone, as is the smaller drop to its left. Is this intentional? I was shocked that all of the woodwork is mostly gone, and it looks like fewer are riding Neds. Is it me?

I believe the answer to your second question is with more people pedalling up + less people shuttling = less people are riding Ned's.

To your first question. My understanding is that Metro Van cut out all the wood work (they also shut down After Taste). With the utmost respect to people suffering with mental illness it would seem Metro Van's behaviour/attitude towards mountain bikers is best described as bi-polar/ schizophrenic (too much turn over? don't really seem to answer to anyone?) but that aside it may be that the Ned's wood work was just dead/dangerous.

Someone at the NSMBA could probably best answer re. Relationship with Metro Van and condition of Ned's.

May 11, 2015, 6:13 p.m.

http://www.nsmba.ca/content/2014-06_2014-metro-work-plan

This was Metro's published trail work plan update from 2014.

I'm not sure if Metro has published a 2015 update.

There's a bit on Metro in the townhall minutes too:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BybBpJdymDJvZ053dk1lVXFPYnM/view

May 11, 2015, 6:48 p.m.

To be fair - looks like he went down CBC. So if that's his frame of reference, kind of hard to disagree with him.

http://theteamrobot.blogspot.com/2015/05/humility.html

Haha, I sometimes feel like I'm the only person that likes CBC! He also raced the enduro yesterday, so he basically rode every other trail on Seymour as well as CBC. Maybe he's just sore that XC honch Geoff Kabush beat him at a DH oriented discipline? Who knows…

Ride, don't slide.

May 11, 2015, 6:59 p.m.

Haha, I sometimes feel like I'm the only person that likes CBC! He also raced the enduro yesterday, so he basically rode every other trail on Seymour as well as CBC. Maybe he's just sore that XC honch Geoff Kabush beat him at a DH oriented discipline? Who knows…

Oh I think Sponsel is a very competent rider and could no doubt ride anything around here. He's just very opinionated and outspoken and likes to stir up clicks to his website. We tend to forget that the terrain and trails that we grew up loving are pretty unique to this area. It's an acquired taste, not everyone likes it.

May 11, 2015, 7:10 p.m.

There's a bit on Metro in the townhall minutes too:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BybBpJdymDJvZ053dk1lVXFPYnM/view

METRO

? “Until the trails have been brought up to a sustainable standard, we will not be entertaining new trail

development.” - Mike Mayers, Manager LSCR

? TNT: Metro is proposing to machine build to be conducted by Joyride led by Paddy Kaye

? CBC [HTML_REMOVED] Cambodia: NSMBA submitted plans to Metro for both, not permitted to work on either

? New entrance into network opposite Corkscrew west of incline: Denied. Metro will not entertain the

prospect of new trails until “current trails are brought to a sustainable standard”

? Dale's: Metro has identified as a priority. Goal: a full connected route of CBC, TNT, Dale’s, Forever After

? Pipeline Bridge (one down from Rice Lake bridge): NSMBA has requested that it be made a climbable grade.

? Cabin Trail:NSMBA has requested for five consecutive years to put in a bridge over Mystery Creek for safety

issues and user experience. Future uncertain but according to Metro bridge installation is hinged on machine

work on TNT

? Contact for Metro: [email protected]

May 11, 2015, 8:52 p.m.

Ive been riding the Shore since the 80s but very sporadically. It hasn't been until the last few years with all the new trail work that Ive gotten more into it. I also have a 7 year old son who loves High School, Bobsled, etc. I find the amount of volunteer work that goes into the trails these days is amazing, and it is inevitable that the vast majority of that work is going to go into trails that me and my son and the vast majority will use. The old gnar trails are just not used enough to justify it. The only way I can see those trails being maintained is if its done by the small group of people who still use them. Or…the whole thing gets commercialized like Whistler Bike Park. ;)

You should definitely take him for a hike to see flying circus. A seminal piece of shore history. I took my kid in to see it and it blew his mind. Enough stuff left to impress anyone.