Why are all the trails so clapped and dying

May 10, 2015, 9:41 a.m.

Just curious why most of the established trails on Fromme and Seymour are just left for dead and allowed to get clapped out and die ? It seems to me like it's hard to get new trails built yet we let the ones we have go to complete shit pangor , cbc , pink starfish , boundary , bitches brew etc etc . Is it a lack of funding to trail maintenence , lack of interest in re fixing old trails or ?? Compared to Squamish or Pemberton we pretty much have nothing for a legal trail network but every time I ride up there everything is pretty much mint with new trails being added all the time . What gives ?

May 10, 2015, 10:22 a.m.

People are to busy working to pay off their over priced homes.??

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

May 10, 2015, 11:17 a.m.

inb4 "Put your money where your mouth is and show up to trail days"

May 10, 2015, 1:20 p.m.

How are the trails you listed clapped out. Learn to ride tech trails.

May 10, 2015, 2:23 p.m.

Rly? How are any of those clapped out.. Don't change the trail because you can't ride it.. change you skill level to match the trail.

May 10, 2015, 4:51 p.m.

Rly? How are any of those clapped out.. Don't change the trail because you can't ride it.. change you skill level to match the trail.

I have ridden Fromme for 30 years, and I went up Starfish today and parts of Boundary. Boundary isn't ridden much at all (some of the ladders are broken) and Starfish clearly has little use. I personally love the trails mentioned, and I LOVE old school trails, but the OP has a point. Organized trail days are for the trails the "masses" ride, and that is bobsled, espresso….. the very trails that do nothing to develop rider skill to move up to tougher trails. Rode down Upper Crippler today, Skull….Skull is getting work and riders. Upper Crippler is not. It seems to me that the whole mantra of NSMBA is to work on the trails EVERYONE can ride but not the ones that are more challenging (but this makes sense; from a management point of view you put your resources where it will be best served).

But I agree, the older school trails are going the wayside and I fear if they are not made more popular, we will lose them. I can guarantee Starfish will be closed, and if so, what's next. Grannies? Crippler? Howler? Squeaky Elbow? If you don't have the skills to ride tough trails you avoid them. They get no work due to low ridership and thus even less use. Vicious circle indeed. I don't think NSMBA cares about them at all, only the "main ones" Seventh, Leopard, C+C, Severed (although I love it) Bobsled…….sadly as in most things in life, majority rules. Personally, I love going down upper Crippler knowing it gets no use. Guaranteed to stay in good shape.

May 10, 2015, 4:54 p.m.

Just curious why most of the established trails on Fromme and Seymour are just left for dead and allowed to get clapped out and die ? It seems to me like it's hard to get new trails built yet we let the ones we have go to complete shit pangor , cbc , pink starfish , boundary , bitches brew etc etc . Is it a lack of funding to trail maintenence , lack of interest in re fixing old trails or ?? Compared to Squamish or Pemberton we pretty much have nothing for a legal trail network but every time I ride up there everything is pretty much mint with new trails being added all the time . What gives ?

Also bro, you need to know that since Seymour is a shuttle mountain it gets far more use than Fromme, say. You could work on CBC every weekend for a year and it would make very little difference since it gets so much use. AND with work, it would get more popular. I know of people years ago that use to do CBC 4 times in one day. That is 4 times the use I put on it in 2 months (I don't shuttle). Not hard to see why Seymour trails are getting so rat bagged.

May 10, 2015, 4:59 p.m.

Somebody should do something about this.

Pastor of Muppets

May 10, 2015, 6:30 p.m.

funny i was kind of thinking things were running better than ever with all the recent work on fromme and seymour.

the old school stuff is still there and about the same as always.

May 10, 2015, 9:17 p.m.

I like old school sketchy chunk that nobody rides anymore, that big rolling rock will be in exactly the same place next weekend lol. New school flow for the masses is cool too, it's getting more peeps/kids on bikes awesome!

May 10, 2015, 9:26 p.m.

Boundary does not really belong in the above list. K is actively working on this trail and just replaced the lower section across the log.

I sure would love to take on Starfish and bring it back to its glory days just after one of the last trail days we had with all that fresh wood.

But for now 1 trail is all I can handle.

But who knows eh :)

May 10, 2015, 9:46 p.m.

Always that one guy that tells you " if you don't have the skill " lol .

Most of you guys are on the same page as me a I think . I hate seeing all the old trails fall into disrepair . Realistically if they redid the trail maps on the north shore now they would probably take half the trails off the map … which I think is pretty lame .

May 10, 2015, 9:49 p.m.

Always that one guy that tells you " if you don't have the skill " lol .

Most of you guys are on the same page as me a I think . I hate seeing all the old trails fall into disrepair . Realistically if they redid the trail maps on the north shore now they would probably take half the trails off the map … which I think is pretty lame .

So whats your plan?

Pastor of Muppets

May 10, 2015, 10:05 p.m.

Do you live under a rock? Are you blind? stupid? or are you getting us all wound up using the oldest (and best) trick int he book?

May 10, 2015, 10:59 p.m.

Realistically if they redid the trail maps on the north shore now they would probably take half the trails off the map … which I think is pretty lame .

Well….this is the most up to date map of Fromme:

http://www.trailforks.com/region/mount-fromme/

And this is 2003:

Not a massive difference. I don't see anyone fixing Flying Circus in a hurry. Some new trails. Some old trails gone. Same as everywhere on the planet.

(On a related note, are there any remains of Walk In The Clouds? Walking down Circus is pretty humbling I've gotta say…)

treezz
wow you are a ass