Why are all the trails so clapped and dying

May 20, 2015, 4 p.m.

Really?? Full time maintenance? You think a hand built trail will wear better than one built with a mini ex?

I don't know, but I'm guessing Aline has had a huge factor greater maintenance done than In Deep. Yes, it gets more traffic, but I'd say easily gets 100x more attention from the trail crew. Maybe it's 100x the traffic and 100x the maintenance, I don't know. But leave Aline for season unattended and it would be brutal. In Deep seems to go for multiple years without much at all being done.

May 20, 2015, 4:08 p.m.

They gonna build a freeway down there then eh.

Then we can complain about the brake bumps.

May 20, 2015, 4:38 p.m.

My guess is MV hasn't seen the maintenance keep up with the use and figure they need to step in to mitigate.

Dales fate was sealed when it became the only way to get to Forever After. Dales has been TAPd since 2011, from the reports on Trailforks it sounds like the top steep section took a $hit kicking with our heavy rainfall this past winter.

I would also think that any new trails built by MV will not cater to the DH shuttle crowd and will be a trail that will focus on limiting speed since speed causes injuries. Think of a meandering trail down Seymour. I think they'd create something like the Expresso section with the longer stretches, turn, long stretch, turn to maximize the trail and limit speed.

Factors that increase maintenance on a trail are water and braking. Control these and you can control how much maintenance the trail needs. Think pedally descents which can be fun, Squid Line anyone?

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

May 20, 2015, 7:37 p.m.

I don't know, but I'm guessing Aline has had a huge factor greater maintenance done than In Deep. Yes, it gets more traffic, but I'd say easily gets 100x more attention from the trail crew. Maybe it's 100x the traffic and 100x the maintenance, I don't know. But leave Aline for season unattended and it would be brutal. In Deep seems to go for multiple years without much at all being done.

I wasn't thinking an aline type trail at all. Mini ex can build single track like no other.

diggin

May 20, 2015, 7:54 p.m.

I wasn't thinking an aline type trail at all. Mini ex can build single track like no other.

Yup, lots of purpose built single track in the UK is built like this and most of it isnt anything like A Line/Dirt Merchant/Crank It Up. In fact most of the better stuff I used to ride was more like Sticks N Stones or Salamander….

May 21, 2015, 1:01 p.m.

We rode another old favourite last night. Pink Starfish. It was awesome as well. Seriously great until what we used to call the diving board. We rode the skidder out from there so I can't tell you what the bottom is like but I'll be heading back.

Kudos to whoever was doing the work. Very solid construction and good flow!

May 21, 2015, 1:07 p.m.

new work on the starfish? probably haven't been down there in a decade; will have to check it out. i love rediscovering old trails.

May 21, 2015, 9:23 p.m.

Ended up on the end of Boundary today, fresh dirt! Great work whoever that was!

May 21, 2015, 10:56 p.m.

We rode another old favourite last night. Pink Starfish. It was awesome as well. Seriously great until what we used to call the diving board. We rode the skidder out from there so I can't tell you what the bottom is like but I'll be heading back.

Kudos to whoever was doing the work. Very solid construction and good flow!

Ya man!! This is the trail I think we should crowd fund for! It's still rad and has tons of potential to be a Lola or treasure trail type of trail. I've been on it a few times this year. Could be the crown jewel of Fromme! Could you imagine what someone like Ewan or Digger could do with this trail?!?!

May 22, 2015, 8:26 a.m.

Did anyone predict a gnar renaissance?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 22, 2015, 8:42 a.m.

Rode Bookwus last week, fits in with the gnar vs flow we talk of so much. Still really like that trail, but find I am now walking parts where I would have rode in the past.

Could be the smaller bike, changes to trail, or skills diminishing with less and less of these type of trails being ridden vs the flow type trails.

It was still fun and though I can no longer clean the trail, I am not asking for the trail fairies to make it so that I can. I will simply walk over the sections I can no longer ride or choose not to ride the trail in favour of other trails. I like the fact that I can't ride every obstacle on a trail (probably could but don't want the hurt that will come with a failed attempt on a couple of the sections)

In the end the shore is still the shore, some like it others don't. No one is forcing you to ride it. Drive north to Squamish, Whistler for Pemby, take a ferry across to SC or Van Isle, drive into the valley or interior. Soooo much amazing riding to be had.

May 22, 2015, 9:12 a.m.

Give it a couple of years and even skinnies will be back in vogue…

A complex interaction between sterics and electronics…

May 22, 2015, 10:58 a.m.

What you need is a +size bike. Clapped trails are just nature's laugh lines :)

That has been my motto for years. Easier to get a better bike / components than to improve my capabilities.

Yes a new 148 boost bike, with the longer front center and modern geo would make that trail easy again, like riding down a sidewalk.

May 23, 2015, 11:43 a.m.

Yes.

Talk less, Say More.

May 23, 2015, 1:13 p.m.

I did first.