Whose mountain is this?

Oct. 9, 2010, 3:37 p.m.

"What will they care about what they do in our forest?[HTML_REMOVED]#8221;

Who does she mean when she says "our forest" ? Apart from the occasional trail runner on the BP I don't see anyone other than mountain bikers on Fromme. Her environment angle is a complete joke. What the hell does she think the land her house is built on looked like before it was chopped clear, dug up, and had massive slab of concrete poured on it? She's the classic NIMBY, nothing going on in her life and hellbent on an illogical cause.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Oct. 12, 2010, 10:43 a.m.

Not really. He's the king of hypocrisy. David Suzuki is by far the most elitist person I've ever met. He insists humans should all live in row homes yet himself owns a home in point grey and a huge property on Quadra Island. And you can bet he doesn't swim back and forth.

that ass-hole didn't even give me his autograph when i was like 10 and i saw him at Granville island. Not like i really wanted it anyways..

Life's not a bitch, Life is a beautiful woman, you just call her a bitch cause she wont let you get that pussy.

Oct. 12, 2010, 11:13 a.m.

Her house used to be the best frog habitat! If you live by a park expect people to come to the park.

Oct. 12, 2010, 12:44 p.m.

Here's the trailer for the film

https://vimeo.com/13779378

Oct. 12, 2010, 1:20 p.m.

nice sarcasm usul.

point is she has no credo and shouldn't be given any as her 'facts' are completely unfounded. did you read the article or just making an offhand comment-that's what I'm guessing. but you're a perfect example of what I'm talking about. by putting her view in print, people like you believe her points to be a legitimate argument.
you've already swallowed the bait the journalist gave you…there's no argument anymore, but they want to create one again using one crazy old lady who has no facts.

To play Devil's Advocate to your statement; Who says that we are in the right. I've seen the way some riders will ride past foot traffic like they have something to prove, and as a group, we do act like the forest belongs to us the way we scavenge for materials and sculpt the ground into trails that are only suitable for bike traffic.

Of course, a more level response is that we are a growing community that has been brought together through both passion and persecution, and because of that communal bond, we are strengthened, and have taken control to build and maintain trails under our own direction. The community has reached a critical mass where municipalities are scrutinising us, and we are having to consider erosion and other environmental factors, but on the whole, we seem eager to learn and adapt.
All the other user groups have had exactly the same opportunity, but how often do you see trail running clubs holding a trail repair day, or see hikers wanting to cut a new trail to challenge themselves? More importantly, do the other user groups choose inaction because they don't feel that it's their right to make/maintain trails, or do they do it because they aren't a cohesive community?

Oct. 12, 2010, 4:14 p.m.

Well said biggs. Really the issue is one of population. Things you get when a lot of people live in the same place. We conflict with each other so it behooves us all to treat each other with respect. I have seen the odd rider barreling down a trail lock up his brakes and skid past me. I have also seen "gangs" of hikers standing too many abreast blocking the trail for all users be they running hiking or riding.

But I will say it again about that stupid frog pond. It was man made for the logging industry back in the day. The reason it is silting up is likely because it man made feature and is not sustainable. Nature will always try and put itself back in equilibrium. Gravity rain and other natural elements will do that. I'll bet that pond is still silting up despite the fact that all users are pretty much confined to trails due to the fences.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 13, 2010, 10:20 a.m.

I have to admit, I'm surprised there's even a debate at all. We all know cycling is very well supported in this province. It's known as a 'green' form of transportation and that's that. The fact that these people are advocating against it is almost humorous to me. It's like the smart car blaming the mini for fuel consumption and ignoring the Hummer.

The pictures in the video of the supposed damage mountain biking causes is pretty stupid. How many of you hiked St. Mark's last year? They had a bobcat and a couple guys going nuts on that trail with chain saws. I don't see people protesting that. The Grouse grind wasn't magically created from nothing, that's man made as well. Also, having spent a lot of time out in the the woods on the dirtbike. I laugh even when that comes under attack. I mean the roads we're on are often pretty remote, and it's not until you experience clear cut and total forest devastation of logging (which, granted is a resource we need for the economy to thrive) you think how stupid it is that people want us off the roads. Because WE cause damage? Yeah right. lol But that can go on and on. hikers vs bikers vs dirtbikes vs quads vs 4X4's. We all think the other does more damage to the trail. Some do though, I hate when a quad rips up a dirtbike trails, and I hate when a dirtbike rips up a mtn bike trail! But, I don't blame everyone with a dirtbike, as I know it's just one person. And we have separate trails for that very reason.

But back to the people campaigning against mtn bikers. The main issue for these people was never the environmental destruction. It's possibly just (I don't want to generalize the way they do ;)) an argument they've created and tried to capitalize on due to the green movement to serve an alternate agenda. Vandeman was most likely passed 20 some years ago unsafely by a mountain bike on a trail that he was hiking on. It happened one too many times and he started campaigning against them. He's his worst enemy in the "movement" though. Because he honestly comes off as crazy. His wide sweeping generalizations that ALL mtn bikers are liars and are addicting to causing damage make him sound nuts. So his credibility is thin. Even hard core eco-nutters will realize this guy won't help their cause and usually have bigger problems to deal with. Mountain bikers aren't exactly the enemy to the environmentalists.

The same probably happened to Monica, only instead of being passed on the trail, she became annoyed with the people parking on her street, and the noise on her "backyard" etc. The environmental issue is one they created to serve their agenda. You guys have dealt with this issue longer than me so does this seem correct? I imagine her new friendship with MikeV will only cause her arguments to become increasingly erratic and strange and ruin her cause.

Anyways, my essay is over, just kinda spilled my brain onto the page. But I guess I just can't get the importance of this. I mean making a video about the woods and pitting mtn bikers against hikers almost seems stupid. Not the fact that it was done, but that it was even necessary in the first place. I have a lot of hobbies, hiking, kayaking, mtn biking, dirtbiking, skiing, snowboarding and motorsports. Hiking, kayaking and mtn biking are by FAR the least impact of all of those. The fact that the most environmentally friendly activity I do is under attack by environmentalists almost makes me laugh.

Oct. 13, 2010, 12:11 p.m.

And that, Usul, is why I don't think her views should be given any merit

Your bias is duly noted. Good journalism always shows both sides of the argument. I agree with your view but it doesn't mean the other side shouldn't have the right to speak. My comment was in response to the poor journalism comment. It would be poor if all sides of an argument were not portrayed in a unbiased, un-censored manner.

As for David Suzuki sure he's an asshat but he has legions of fans cuz he's on TV and don't underestimate that kind of power. Deserved or not.

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.