Whoo has had a bike stolen...

June 24, 2003, 9:07 a.m.

As some people know I had 3 bikes taken from my house last week so I have decided to write an article about bike theft and what was done after. So if you could help out some real life numbers would be helpful.

1) When was your bike stolen
2) Where was it stolent from? ex house, truck, outside a store, etc
3) Was it reported to the police?
4) did you have the serial #s
5) what was it value?
6) did you get it back?

Finally

Did you have insurance (above the $500 limit) and if so who was your insurer and how much did it cost?

Couch

IF you want to post your bike description again feel free.

I am a vegetarian not because I love animals but because I HATE plants.

It could be worse…you could be on fire.

June 24, 2003, 9:20 a.m.

I lost a stiffe sl, dialed little rig, 2 years ago at the Roach barn. Fell asleep with it in the van, no ins. no ser.#.

Whoever took it, climbed in, put on "all" my gear, helmet, gloves, shorts, camelback, and my shoes. They left their old shoes for me to wear. I took the shoes to the cops to see if they could DNA test them, they thought I was nuts………..

then like six months later, I got a call about a Stiffee sL, with cove and etnies and dragon stickers, MRP, marzokks, the whole bit. This girl bought it in Surrey.

Needless to say I was pumped, till I got there and it was Vanderhams old sl that got ripped off too.

Thomas was stoked and I cried in my soup. cl

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

June 24, 2003, 10:15 a.m.

I parked my Schwinn mesa GSX infront of stupid store with a crappy $20 lock in 35 below, I needed to pick up some milk, I reported it to the police, nothing has happend yet, that was 6 months ago saterday, It was a $800 bike, I don't miss the bike, but I sure could use the cash.

June 24, 2003, 1:41 p.m.

1) When was your bike stolen *May 2003
Garage, they kicked in the door broke the lock through the door.
3) Was it reported to the police? *yes, North Van police said that even they knew that bikers lived in our house and that we shouldn't let the bikes be visible outside, try repairing and maintaining inside from now on. Be quick when loading and unloading into vehicles.
4) did you have the serial #s-
yes but couldn't find them
5) what was it value? - *$2400
6) did you get it back? -
*Net yet, but I know it will be found, That bike was FULL of great kharma!

Help!!! Mrs. Hooty bike still missing, black VPS2 with new 2001 Super T's, juliana seat, 26"front, 24" rear single/double wide rims
red race Face cranks.

June 24, 2003, 4:39 p.m.

I have NOT had a bike stolen.

The least expensive insurance I know of is Johnston Meier. They provide home or renters insurance. This base insurance costs about $ 300 - $ 500 per year depending on your own situation.

To get full compensation for your bike you then have to purchase additional insurance - this is called a rider or a floater. The cost is 3% of the declared value of your bike. You must give them a receipt showing how much your bike costs. If your bike is stolen, that is what you will get back.

Call them at 604 - 736-4574; speak to Evelyn or Janet. Very nice people and always quick to call back.

June 24, 2003, 4:52 p.m.

i have my bike insured and the way we have it is through our home insurers…i believe addisson insurance.
but they cover bikes and things as pieces of house property if stolen from the house and pay a little more. if taken from outside of the home they will pay up to $5000

i think thats a pretty good deal

yes i still ride a bike…rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

June 24, 2003, 11:54 p.m.

my bike was stolen last month

it was stolen from my carport(no garage door)

i reported it to the police

no serial #

all the parts new was worth about $3400

i never will see it again

and i didnt have bike insurance, i also couldint take out the $500 claim because a few months ago someone stole our ford explorer(we got it back after they fucked it up driving off of a wall on the side of the driveway while making theyre craptacular escape) but 2 claims in 2 years = huge hike in insurance costs

'99 norco vps 2 bullet hole stickers on sides cable rub on head tube norco crest sticker silver rear end FIND IT AND KILL WHO STOLE IT

FINISHED.

June 25, 2003, 12:56 a.m.

1- mid day early july last year
2-outside a store while i was watching!!
3- yes
4- no
5- 500 US
6- No, the cops didn't do JACK SHIT!!

i didn't have insurance

June 25, 2003, 2:48 a.m.

1. November 15, 2002
2. Theives broke into our house (bikes were in the basement)
3. Police were called but took close to an hour to show up.
4. Had serial numbers for one of the three bikes that were stolen.
5. The three bikes and gear that were stolen were valued at just over four grand.
6. We found my daughters bike (thrashed) shortly after the break-in. I found my Stinky in a shop here in PG about a month ago. Last I heard the insurance company had the bike and was deciding what to do with it.

The insurance company was great and gave me just over 4 g's to replace the bikes. Although, I was lucky to get that much since most companies have a limit of 500 to 1000 dollars on bike theft (per bike).

June 25, 2003, 10:01 a.m.

Yes. Four in one go from our starage shed several years ago. A full XTR Team Issue, Full XTR TNT, and two Marinoni road bikes, 49cm with various parts one red and black the other purple.

I fortified the shed, added a cable lock and eventually we installed an alarm. As often happens, the theives return about 6 weeks later when they hope the stolen items have been replaced with new. We woke up that time and called police. But we turned a light on to see and that sent the butt wipes running and the dog couldn't follow the trail. Cops were there in about a minute.

I recovered the Team Issue about two weeks after the theft. I was riding home on the replacement which was identical when I rode by a guy riding it. I'm 5'5" and the frame was as small as they come 15"? and this dude was probably over 6 feet. I told him he was on my bike and he immediately gave it to me. He yelled something about buying it for $50 from some indian in Stanley Park and fled.

The mountain bikes were fully covered but not the road bikes. Cost is about 5% of the scheduled value. I think it ranges from a low of 4% to a high of 10%.

You need to read your policy though. Often that $500 per bike limit is only for the peril of theft. If you suffer a house fire or a tree falls on your shed and totals your bike, you might be fully covered. I am an insurance adjuster but I property insurance is not my specialty.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 25, 2003, 12:35 p.m.

My girlfriend's Kona was stolen from the balcony of our apartment a few years ago. It's on the second floor, so they climbed up and threw it done. Police were called and report was filled out etc.. I've heard about it since. We use BCAA for insurance and they replaced the bike after paying the $500 deductible. They seem to be good for house insurance. They have things in their policy like 'Mysterious loss' were I can lose something and it will be covered. I just finished insuring my bike this morning. It was appraised at $7200 and that's going to add $210 per year to our policy.

Every company has different rules for bikes. About 5 years ago my brothers bike fell off the back of his car on the highway. It was run over a couple of times and was covered.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

June 25, 2003, 1:48 p.m.

i've never had a bike successfully stolen from me. but i was in richmond and lent my bike against a window outside of a music store where i went to go get something from my mom (who was inside getting piano lessons).

i turn around and i see someone run around the corner and my bike fall to the ground. got some scratches from runnin along the top tube on the door.

that was my own fault though. i figured 2 seconds in there and a window, i'll risk it. thank god it was a while ago and my bike was only an Azonic DS1 w/ z1

QUICK INSURANCE QUESTION….
i blew a tire after grad camping and took my van to canadian tire in squamish. they fixed it and parked it outside the bay doors. they did not lock it. another guy who was grad camping (druggy) came in earlier while i was paying to get his tire fixed (after i lent him my car jack earlier) and then we wait aroudnf or a bit. this other guy goes outside to go get his car. we go eat. we come back and the mechanic asks if we asked "our friend" to get something from my van. I say no. The guy jacked three flats of beer that were leftover from the weekend.

…do I get some sort of money for this? i mean it is a "break in" and it wasnt me who left it unlocked. i know its not a lot of money but still :)

……..actually, im only 18. i dunno if i wanna go tell the insurance company i was carrying garbage bags of beer in the back of my van :rolleyes:

June 25, 2003, 2:01 p.m.

Dude. Below your Mom's deductible. And its not your fault some POS decided to try and take your bike.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 25, 2003, 2:16 p.m.

meh, not "my fault". but ive learned that detterents help. i usually lock my bike up inside my van if camping or something.

when its at home, i got to admit. its not locked to a post or anything. its locked inside my garage. with no windows and heavy locks. so its nice and safe IMO

P.S. i forgot, deductable. nevermind. i guess 3 flats dont make it up there hahaha nice thing is i've confronted him and he freaked out. i also know where he lives…….hmmm im thinking i may have scrambled eggs for dinner :rolleyes:

June 25, 2003, 2:24 p.m.

I had a Stinky Dee Lux stolen 2 summers ago…

1) When was your bike stolen

summer '01, late afternoon/early evening right after a ride

From our garage. Both my mom and I were home cooking dinner when it was stolen (the garage is attached to the house, right next to the kitchen!?!) Happened within 30 minutes of the end of my ride… rode home, put bike in garage (left door open), went upstairs to shower, helped mom with dinner for like 10 minutes, went out to close garage door, bike was gone. We live in rural area, garage is set way back from road (i.e., some random person driving by wouldn't have seen inside the garage)

3) Was it reported to the police?

Ya.

4) did you have the serial #s

Ya.

5) what was it value?

$3100 US (lot of aftermarket bits on it, most of which I had receipts for)

6) did you get it back?

Yes! Buddies @ kona called me up one day and said "dude, we have your bike!!" Someone had attempted to send it in for warranty, for a slighly cracked seatstay yoke…

Finally

Did you have insurance (above the $500 limit) and if so who was your insurer and how much did it cost?

Ya, $500 deductable (USD)

One word to the wise about insuring your bike: always, ALWAYS save your receipts for your bike and any bits that you buy for it afterwards, and keep track of the serial #s