39%
It's a bike trail! Hikers step aside!
30%
It's more complicated. . .
31%
Total votes: 100
Jan. 20, 2009, 10:41 p.m.

We've all seen this sign before,

but who really has the right-of-way on a steep, technical trail used primarily by mountain bikers?

Fill out the poll and provide feedback and suggestions below. Your input will be used by the NSMBA to form recommendations for the ongoing implementation of the Fromme Trail Classification Plan.

web: nsmba.ca
email: [email protected]

Trails for all, trails forever.

Jan. 20, 2009, 11:06 p.m.

i try my best not to run over hikers, its not good for PR.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Jan. 20, 2009, 11:09 p.m.

i would call it complicated.

example, the south surrey bike park proper is a bicycles first zone, AFAIK. there are fairly large signs posted basically saying "watch the hell out for fast-moving bikes".

in the larger space of the sunnyside urban forest (which the bike park is a part of,) the standard system of yielding to peds and ponies is how it goes.

a similar system with obvious signage would probably help eliminate at least a portion of user conflicts.

Check my stuff for sale!

Jan. 20, 2009, 11:27 p.m.

if you are in some tight, gnarly or steep terrain, it would be far easier and safer for a hiker to step aside than for you to bring yourself to a stop in a potentially awkward and dangerous situation…

depends where exactly you meet up with the hikers.

as for horses i just bunny hop them…

its weird. i've ridden all over the province and the only place i have EVER encountered a hiker going up an actual bike trail is on the shore. never, not once anywhere else…

and i swear to god those hikers on the shore spook easier than horses.

Jan. 20, 2009, 11:47 p.m.

but who really has the right-of-way on a steep, technical trail used primarily by mountain bikers?
mountain bikers.
if it 1/2 and 1/2 then hikers, because they're slower.

Jan. 21, 2009, 7:22 a.m.

It's complicated…

But really, there's no point in making it an issue, just come to a stop and say hello. If you're really on a technical pitch and stopping is dangerous then you should issue a verbal warning that you may not be able to stop.

Jan. 21, 2009, 7:47 a.m.

In a multi-use trail situation we, as mountain bikers, should be considerate of slower moving trail users and give them the right of way. I always do but definitely appreciate it when hikers yield to me on steep terrain. Around here I've noticed that hikers are usually very happy to step aside and let us ride by and I always give them a smile and big thanks!

Edit: Having re-read the poll question I definitely think it's more complicated to determine who has the right of way on a purpose built mountain bike trail…especially where steep terrain is involved because it's pretty damn hard to stop a bike in that situation. Logic dictates that hikers (I don't think horse would be on stuff like that) should be keeping a eye out for bikers and give them the right of way because of the potential for injury of both themselves and the biker. If the MTB trail is built on public land all trail users have the right to access it which is where this gets complicated. I initially voted that bikers should yield but I'd like to change my vote to "It's more complicated."

Jan. 21, 2009, 8:14 a.m.

I'd say if the trail is not too technical, I'd yield to hikers. And definitely to horses - I do not like to spook big animals. They have a different perception of things than us humans do. And I want to be as nice as possible - good PR and I feel better.

If I ride some not-officially-known-and-approved trail in my area and there were hikers, I'd get the hell out of there. :)

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 21, 2009, 8:19 a.m.

If the trail is clearly marked as a mountain bike trail on the maps provided and at the top and the bottom then the mountain biker has the right of way.

Do horses climb up steep, technical, gnarly terrain?

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

Jan. 21, 2009, 8:26 a.m.

Do horses climb up steep, technical, gnarly terrain?

No, they are more into flowing stuff I think (at least over here, dunno about the Shore or SOuthern BC horses, maybe they are into sick stuff?) and over here I always stop and make way. Beautiful creatures.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 21, 2009, 11:10 a.m.

Potential for injury should dictate.1) Rider spooks horse, horse throws rider, then tramples biker. Hoarse rider has the right of way. 2) Mellow but down hill terrain, fast moving bike can control speed to prevent injury to both, hiker is a sitting duck. Hiker has right of way. 3) Steep technical terrain where biker has limited and delayed stopping ability and hiker can pause because of their slow speed, biker has right of way. Less likely that a horse will be on this trail, but if they are, every one can get hurt if they don[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t yield to each other. It is almost a rock, scissor, paper system. As a side note, i have seen some horses climb some steep rocky terrain.

WTF, Over?

Jan. 21, 2009, 11:12 a.m.

If the MTB trail is built on public land all trail users have the right to access it

exactly…

If the trail is on public land, unauthorized, and therefore not officially recognized as a MTB specific trail, I sure wouldn't want to be the rider going to court for mowing over grandma who was out on a Sunday hike.

edit. If this is fromme specific, and the trail has been designated as a MTB trail, then MTB's would have the right of way…within reason. But for unauthorized trails in general I'll stick to my original statement.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Jan. 21, 2009, 11:53 a.m.

Well, the sign is pretty clear: bikes yield to horses and hikers. If there's a sign than there are rules in place. Since this is the only kind of sign that addresses the right-of-way issue in a multi-use area (including trails that are primairly MTB) than it seeps pretty clear that the hikers and horses have right-of-way.

Why?

Horses spook easily and have a person perched precariously on top of them. It's safer for everyone if the bike yields.
Hikers can get hurt if a cyclist hits them at speed. It's safer if they have the right-of-way.

Is this always the best arrangement for us? I dunno, but when I come across a car-sized object with a mind of it's own, I respect the damage that it can do to me and the person sitting on top of it. Also, I know how unpleasant/scary it is to have riders blow by me at speed while hiking as I have no idea how much control they have. If I bear this in mind I don't get so pissy about having my flow "ruined" by waiting for a hiker to go by.

Personally, I feel that a lot of the issues that we have with other trail users could be overcome by being friendly and communicating with them and by respecting their concerns. Mountain bikes approach quietly and quickly and make a big racket while going by. Horses can startle, hiking is a quiet, peaceful activity where one can really take in the surroundings, biking often requires keeping the pace up to clean a section. By bearing this in mind while out on the trail (on bike or in my hiking boots) I've made all kinds of friends amongst all trail user groups.

I sure wouldn't hike on a busy trail that's used and designed for mountainbikes though. Fairly unpleasent, and my presence can ruin the flow for them if I don't jump off the trail in time.

Just one trail users view, and one that's kept me conflict and frustration free for years.

Jan. 21, 2009, 11:53 a.m.

If it's a bike trail it's a bike trail, bikers have the right of way. all others bikers yield

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Jan. 21, 2009, 12:08 p.m.

Are there any "bike" trails outside of commercial bike parks that are officially bikes only? I can think of multi-use trails that allow horses and hikers or trails that allow horses, hikers and bikers, but nothing that allows bikes and not other users.

There are plenty of trails that are un-managed or illegal where the possibility of encountering a hiker or horse are slim, but when it comes down to trails with rules I don't think that I can think of any that are ours exclusively.

I don't think that we ever officially have the right-of-way, but plenty of hikers and equestrians have yielded to me when appropriate/safer when I communicate well with them.